This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Pop1eye":3cztf6q6 said:
IJN.
When I pointed out to an Oxford fan who thought Oxford Pompey was the biggest game I had to point this game out as bigger.
Not happy was an understatement, you'd have thought I'd been carrying on with his wife!

Yes well a lot of the navy did dock in Oxford over the years!!

Remember the Oxford Field Gun Crew?? Fearsome!! :lol:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oxford fans have always been a weird bunch.

Mind you, a classy team this year and that's for sure.

I hope they go up automatically.

M

Monkey Nuts

ford hill POMPEY fan":75qxfdi6 said:
http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=631595

I've been down her 20 odd years and am forever telling folk Pompey do nor regard tis as a derby or do they hate Plymouth. Agreed we have a lot of similarities, Passion, Historic city, and been let down by bad owners.
However i do keep hearing people say we hate each other..see posts form our fans site

Problem is that Argyle supporters are a little like British politicians, for ever going on about the 'Special Relationship' with the USA. When in reality, the USA doesn't give a schitt about the UK. It's all a little needy.
People also go on about the Bristol clubs as it they're local rivals, when in reality, when we play them they just refer to us as Plymouth, like any other game.

May 1, 2011
Cult Of Personality":3mj6po40 said:
Don't get the derby thing

Pompey vs saints is there Derby

Argyle vs Exeter is ours

The fact Exeter is ours and you are right btw is a sign of how far we have fallen.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
There's competitive rivalry this year because both clubs have been up for promotion and have expected to be since way back at the start of the season, it's no surprise that we find ourselves side by side in the final standings.

But a full-time rivalry and a derby? Can't see it.

Put it this way; if either of us were near the bottom of L2 and the other near the top would either care about the other? Would we be desperate to get one over on each other? No, I wouldn't say so. If we play Exeter though, it doesn't matter where they are in the table, which league they are in, how many divisions separate us, I love seeing us get one over on them, they are our rivals.

Aug 10, 2006
ford hill POMPEY fan":2z6t4v88 said:
http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=631595

I've been down her 20 odd years and am forever telling folk Pompey do nor regard tis as a derby or do they hate Plymouth. Agreed we have a lot of similarities, Passion, Historic city, and been let down by bad owners.
However i do keep hearing people say we hate each other..see posts form our fans site
here we go again we know it is not a local derby but a naval dockyard derby that's it.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
During the 70s & early 80s we only ever played Exeter in the Devon Bowl as they were hardly ever in the same division as us.Consequently the closest teams we played regularly were Pompey & the Bristol clubs. No it's not a derby for them in a geographical sense - Swansea, Cardiff,the other Bristol club, Swindon are all closer as iss Southampton for Pompey - but due to our geographical isolation they have traditionally been our closest rivals. This was especially true of Pompey due to the movement of workers between dockyards & the number of ex-matelots settling in the areas.
PersonallyI find the anti Exeter chanting, as happened at Cambridge, embarrassing, pointless and baffling....justmakes us as small-time as Exeterhave always been.
Personally

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
My first match at Home Park was the May 1983 Portsmouth game.

I hate Pompey, and regularly used to start the chant at various away games throughout the 80's and 90's.

The Sunderland lads at Roker Park gave me a round of applause. :lol:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
LG":2ke1zz6w said:

I hate Pompey, and regularly used to start the chant at various away games throughout the 80's and 90's.

Is that why you call yourself 'The General'?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
GreenThing":12y69dxk said:
LG":12y69dxk said:

No.
It's what other people call me.
I don't call myself it.

Its not a derby. But it's always been the ultimate Argyle game for me, with my family split between the two cities. Exeter doesn't even come close. That 5-1 is the stuff of legends; the winner at Krap Nottarf last month was amazing. Just a shame we won't be playing them at Wembley.

Mike

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
LG":26inrh0o said:
GreenThing":26inrh0o said:

No.
I don't call myself it.

Don't be shy......

Ticket for the game now sorted.
Look out Yeovil, the General is coming! :thumbs:

Tonight the DRF General is on it. Scream for me Mutley

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I have always regarded Pompey as a big rival. The games are always passionate with a edge to them which makes for good entertainment. I don't remember too many dour, boring sleepathons between the clubs. I'd put them along side Brizzle City in terms of rivalry.
I do agree that if this game was the final it would be a sell out at Wembley.
I'm looking forward to the games but have mentally prepared myself for another season slumming it in L2.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
PL2 3DQ":2p55ywcm said:
LG":2p55ywcm said:
GreenThing":2p55ywcm said:

No.
I don't call myself it.

Don't be shy......

Ticket for the game now sorted.
Look out Yeovil, the General is coming! :thumbs:

Tonight the DRF General is on it. Scream for me Mutley
Bang to rights guv.
You guys always go for the throat.

BHS

Oct 6, 2008
Liverpool (Skelmersdale)
Its not a proper Derby due two main factors;
The distance between the two teams, their not even in one of the bordering counties
We have not regularly played each other in our history of league football

The rivalry comes from the cities having a similar naval history, both located on the south coast.

As mentioned by other posters, their was a particular violent game in 1983. My Grandad and Great Grandad used to stand in the Spion Kop (for younger fans it was an open terrace between the Lyndhurst and Davenport) both would have been in their late 50s and 70s respectively by all accounts they gave alot more than they got, pompey fans infiltrated the home stands that day. My Gran had tried to resist me going to games as a teenager 10 years later.

Its a rivalry, that has history, some bad history.

Let's hope our team can find some mental strength at the right times in these two big games, what if Mr Argyle aka Paul Wotton takes the team talk! COYGs