This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This is not a Derby-we don't hate Argyle

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
bringonthemilkman":32vf4pt1 said:
During the 70s & early 80s we only ever played Exeter in the Devon Bowl as they were hardly ever in the same division as us.Consequently the closest teams we played regularly were Pompey & the Bristol clubs. No it's not a derby for them in a geographical sense - Swansea, Cardiff,the other Bristol club, Swindon are all closer as iss Southampton for Pompey - but due to our geographical isolation they have traditionally been our closest rivals. This was especially true of Pompey due to the movement of workers between dockyards & the number of ex-matelots settling in the areas.
PersonallyI find the anti Exeter chanting, as happened at Cambridge, embarrassing, pointless and baffling....justmakes us as small-time as Exeterhave always been.
Personally
This for me too. The Exeter rivalry thing is more recent as our fortunes have plummeted.

P

pafcstafford

Portsmouth are rivals whether they or some on here like it or not. And yeah I probably dislike them and their patronising ways.

They weren't acting like they weren't bothered a few weeks.

P

pafcstafford

Monkey Nuts":obvaqagm said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":obvaqagm said:
http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=631595

I've been down her 20 odd years and am forever telling folk Pompey do nor regard tis as a derby or do they hate Plymouth. Agreed we have a lot of similarities, Passion, Historic city, and been let down by bad owners.
However i do keep hearing people say we hate each other..see posts form our fans site

Problem is that Argyle supporters are a little like British politicians, for ever going on about the 'Special Relationship' with the USA. When in reality, the USA doesn't give a schitt about the UK. It's all a little needy.
People also go on about the Bristol clubs as it they're local rivals, when in reality, when we play them they just refer to us as Plymouth, like any other game.

They don't mate

M

Monkey Nuts

pafcstafford":1f0ouwur said:
Monkey Nuts":1f0ouwur said:
ford hill POMPEY fan":1f0ouwur said:
http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=631595

I've been down her 20 odd years and am forever telling folk Pompey do nor regard tis as a derby or do they hate Plymouth. Agreed we have a lot of similarities, Passion, Historic city, and been let down by bad owners.
However i do keep hearing people say we hate each other..see posts form our fans site

Problem is that Argyle supporters are a little like British politicians, for ever going on about the 'Special Relationship' with the USA. When in reality, the USA doesn't give a schitt about the UK. It's all a little needy.
People also go on about the Bristol clubs as it they're local rivals, when in reality, when we play them they just refer to us as Plymouth, like any other game.

They don't mate
They don't what?

Jan 6, 2004
My only gripe with Portsmouth is that most people cannot distinguish the city from Plymouth. As an exile I have lost count of the number of times people mistakenly believe I come from Portsmouth

Oct 11, 2014
Green_Flash":3152wnr8 said:
My only gripe with Portsmouth is that most people cannot distinguish the city from Plymouth. As an exile I have lost count of the number of times people mistakenly believe I come from Portsmouth

I've known of people to get onto the train to Portsmouth, when they were meant to be going to Plymouth, and vice versa. :sigh:

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Rich McLean":2i887vpv said:
Green_Flash":2i887vpv said:

I've known of people to get onto the train to Portsmouth, when they were meant to be going to Plymouth, and vice versa. :sigh:

You don't need those types of people in your life.

P

Parttimegreen

As another Pompey exile down here, I see more similarity than difference. I also wish we'd both have been promoted this year - as I've potentially lost a walk-to 'away' game, unless whoever wins bombs out at Wembley of course.

Tom Cobbley

Jam First
Aug 7, 2011
Oldham
When I worked at Cattedown Wharf an Australian elderly couple pulled up in a car looking for HMS Victory

On the 83 game, I went with my mate stood in the Lyndhurst, he was next to me and copped a stone on the head, he appeared on the front page of the Herald being led away by St Johns ambulance men behind the Devonport end goal

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Personally, I cannot stick the club and the fans. But no, it's not a derby. I think there'll be a lot of trouble at both games though.

C

Cobi Budge.

Feels like a derby on match-day even though both sets of fans claim it isn't.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Cobi Budge.":2z1chhj8 said:
I love the games between Argyle & Pompey. Far more passionate & fiery than our 'derby' games against Exeter.
Are you being serious? Passionate and fiery? I don't really think that Argyle can claim to have a 'hated' opponent. Exeter are easily the closest thing to this and they dislike us immensely but the feeling is not mutual for many Argyle fans. We have barely played Pompey in the 22 years I have followed Argyle so, although it feels like more than just another game, I certainly wouldn't call it 'fiery'.

C

Cobi Budge.

Green_Matt":jfzn8j3t said:
Cobi Budge.":jfzn8j3t said:
I love the games between Argyle & Pompey. Far more passionate & fiery than our 'derby' games against Exeter.
Are you being serious? Passionate and fiery? I don't really think that Argyle can claim to have a 'hated' opponent. Exeter are easily the closest thing to this and they dislike us immensely but the feeling is not mutual for many Argyle fans. We have barely played Pompey in the 22 years I have followed Argyle so, although it feels like more than just another game, I certainly wouldn't call it 'fiery'.

I've been to Pompey three times (FA cup, 3 3 and the 2 1 win), I'm not saying it is one but to me the fixture feels a hell of a lot more like a derby than when we go to Exeter.

So yes, I do think the games against Pompey are passionate and fiery, both home and away, more so than any other fixture we have.