Nelson tribunal (Argyle to receive £200-£280k) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Nelson tribunal (Argyle to receive £200-£280k)

How much will we get for Nelson?

• 0 - £50,000

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • £50,001 - £100,000

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • £100,001 - £200,000

Votes: 46 21.4%
  • £200,001 - £300,000

Votes: 61 28.4%
  • £300,001 - £400,000

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • £400,001 - £500,000

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • £500,001 - £750,000

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • £750,001 - £1m

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • £1m+

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Technically guess this should sit on another board, but, stuck it on here because of the influence it may have on our recruitment for the rest of the window.

What date is the tribunal taking place?

Is Adams attempt to complete the squad hampered by the uncertainty of what we will receive for the ex-skipper ?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
It's normally a very long drawn out process for tribunals in these cases, the tribunal could be a long way off yet (I don't know) but even if it isn't it's very unlikely we would see any money from the deal anytime soon.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that it's likely that the clubs will come to a settlement before it goes to a tribunal.

Martyn Starnes has certainly indicated that their could be further negotiations and, since Nelson signed, they have sold Kemar Roofe for a reported £3m.

In what other industry would this bit of business take place? We must have a guaranteed (derisory) sum with a tribunal requested to add to that sum? How would the league let Nelson register for another club if our compo hasn't been settled?

Apr 1, 2009
plymouth80":1x8p4jay said:
In what other industry would this bit of business take place? We must have a guaranteed (derisory) sum with a tribunal requested to add to that sum? How would the league let Nelson register for another club if our compo hasn't been settled?

In just about any other industry if an employee is out of contract he/she can go without any compensation to the previous employer. So football actually rewards the previous employer better (however derisory) in these instances.

I can't see the eventual sum being publicised, so there's little point in speculating.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
plymouth80":cwcqrgfu said:

I went into PC World this morning. Said I'd take one of their computers home and start using it. Not sure how good it is but I want it, told them to let me know what they think I should pay for it, I'd get back to them in a couple of months. ;)

Anyone know a good solicitor? :shock:

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
xmastree":191qs29h said:
plymouth80":191qs29h said:

In just about any other industry if an employee is out of contract he/she can go without any compensation to the previous employer. So football actually rewards the previous employer better (however derisory) in these instances.

I can't see the eventual sum being publicised, so there's little point in speculating.
Fees are almost always reported if settled via a tribunal.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":14f8hz6r said:
plymouth80":14f8hz6r said:

I went into PC World this morning. Said I'd take one of their computers home and start using it. Not sure how good it is but I want it, told them to let me know what they think I should pay for it, I'd get back to them in a couple of months. ;)

Anyone know a good solicitor? :shock:

Not quite the right analogy there though.

Now how about if PC World put that computer out the front of there store with a sign saying.....

"New home needed as we can no longer afford to keep this computer. You are welcome to take it for free, however we will have to come to an agreement over payment for the installed software."

Apr 4, 2004
Surely, we aren't expecting to get money for him. We let his contract run down, then run out. Wouldn't that make it very hard to demonstrate we value his services in any way. I mean that's how you treat a player you want rid of isn't it.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
ming the merciless":l6ns53tn said:
Surely, we aren't expecting to get money for him. We let his contract run down, then run out. Wouldn't that make it very hard to demonstrate we value his services in any way. I mean that's how you treat a player you want rid of isn't it.

We offered him a new contract a month or more before his previous one elapsed. He allowed the old one to run out without agreeing to a new one. He is of an age when the club can still expect compensation for him.

He left. Had we not offered a contract then that would be a sign that we wanted rid as you put it.

Apr 4, 2004
Yes I understand that Argyle did what was required to claim compensation. I'm certain we will try to claim at the tribunal that Nelson was a prized and valued player. But then surely they will say if he was so highly valued, why was he not on a long contract.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
How about the player refused to sign one twelve months ago?

I don't know if that was true, but it's as valid an assumption as yours.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
ming the merciless":2y0c4ax5 said:
Yes I understand that Argyle did what was required to claim compensation. I'm certain we will try to claim at the tribunal that Nelson was a prized and valued player. But then surely they will say if he was so highly valued, why was he not on a long contract.

The compensation isn't for losing the player, it is to compensate Argyle for the time and devlopment that they have already put in.

Take the Danny Ings example He left Burnley after his contract ran out but because of his age, a tribunal ruled that Liverpool should compensate Burnley to the tune of £6.5 million with a further £1.5m in add ons based on future appearances. Burnley will also receive 20% of any future sale of the player.

How did the tribunal arrive at these figures and what did they consider?

The status of the club he was leaving
The status of the club he was joining
The amount paid to the player over his period at Burnley
The length of service at Burnley and number of appearances for both club and country
The terms and length of the contract that were offered by Burnley
The terms and length of the contract that were offered by Liverpool
Any substantiated interest from other clubs

The panel would also consider other costs which Burnley would have had to provide evidence of, including cost of training and playing facilities, education and welfare requirements, medical facilities and expenditure as well as scouting and coaching fees.