4 offers on the table for a striker | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

4 offers on the table for a striker

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The reality exists that it is hard to sustain progress up the Leagues unless Clubs adjust to the realities of the footballing market place that has little respect for prudence. For a Club like Argyle with its' recent history this adjustment is a very fine balance and we should not be ultra critical.

Mar 21, 2008
Listening to Adam's latest interview he talks about the massive gap between league 1 and league 2 in terms of what teams are spending as if it's caught him by surprise. It's worth remembering that the entire time both Brent and Adams have been here we've only been in league 2 often competing with clubs that have attendances of 2-3,000 or less, therefore even if they massively stretched themselves financially as we know some clubs do, a club of our size can still build a more than capable side whilst having a relatively sensible budget and even running at a profit.

My gut feeling is that now we've stepped up a league Brent and Adams are obviously still trying to prudently run the club and even run at a profit the same as they were in league 2, but they're quickly realising that in this league whilst trying to do that they're no longer competitive in terms of the offers they can make to players (which is why he's making a lot of offers and not getting any of them), and they may also find that the players they are actually able to attract are not competitive on the pitch in league 1, especially with strikers, which is creating a bit of a problem bringing in someone that is stronger than we already have.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
All the more reason for getting the grandstand done to an acceptable level to bring in that extra non matchdsy revenue

May 21, 2015
Adams wasn't talking as if it had caught him by surprise. Its a statement of fact that there is a higher level of club in the division, some of whom are able and willing to spend alot more money than we can. Its a simple as that.
I'm glad we have had Bruntys wages going towards a player we know has a greater chance of being fit and a first team contender from day 1.

Sep 28, 2003
London
...in which case we've had since April 29th to bring a striker in knowing we'd be in League 1 and haven't done it, which you can make all your excuses in the world for but doesn't look good on us from a recruitment point of view.

May 8, 2011
Andy Holland":1g9al96p said:
...in which case we've had since April 29th to bring a striker in knowing we'd be in League 1 and haven't done it, which you can make all your excuses in the world for but doesn't look good on us from a recruitment point of view.

The point is that until last Saturday we had our main striker. The vacant number 9 is to add competition and as a back up, why would the Club have rushed in to sign anyone.

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
HC Green":1z2bqahn said:
Andy Holland":1z2bqahn said:

The point is that until last Saturday we had our main striker. The vacant number 9 is to add competition and as a back up, why would the Club have rushed in to sign anyone.

Because of injuries? which Argyle are less than fortunate with!

You need at least two or three strikers. We had two, and with blisset unproven at this level was leaving us threadbare in terms of firepower

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
HC Green":35ff2pn7 said:
Andy Holland":35ff2pn7 said:

How do you know the number 9 was for competition and back up? I like Ryan Taylor but he's not necessarily someone I'd say would be our first choice centre forward.

I too am surprised that we don't seem to have strengthened much in central midfield or striking positions, but all those worries could be swept away soon with some good results and incoming reinforcements. As they were last year :greensmile:

Jan 27, 2012
I'd be really happy with a double signing of Rickie Lambert and Matt Kennedy but I doubt that's realistic. It wouldn't half make Argyle a dangerous proposition though.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Interesting that DA said in his recent Herald interview that "<snip> It depends on whether a player negotiates a release from their contract with the club they are at."

That perhaps suggests that someone has been lined up for some time but there have been hitches with the parent club.

Link

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Frank_Butcher":24gmlt3q said:
Interesting that DA said in his recent Herald interview that "<snip> It depends on whether a player negotiates a release from their contract with the club they are at."

That perhaps suggests that someone has been lined up for some time but there have been hitches with the parent club.

Link

Certainly players clubs can be an issue, sometimes players want to come back but the current clubs aren't as keen on that.

Jan 27, 2012
A couple of quotes in the Herald from Adams recently drawing attention to Argyle's playing budget. Reading between the lines, I'd say he's slightly miffed that the board don't give him a bit more to spend on his transfer targets.