7000 missing | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

7000 missing

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Knarf Reprah":2jd09v1b said:
Cost, pure and simple

I'd love to be as sure about things like you are! :greensmile:

That's not the answer though, only part of it.

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":yunglzxp said:
Knarf Reprah":yunglzxp said:
Cost, pure and simple

Big big big part of it...lllacquaintance of mine had to decide between watching Barca or spending £40 watching Argo ......no brainier is it?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":1a9x02wm said:
kingobadingo":1a9x02wm said:
Such a frustrating thread.

I've been to over 130 football grounds and most of them with Argyle but I do not live in Plymouth so struggle to get to the home games.

The derby game is always appealing as it draws in the bigger crowd and its one I always choose to attend.

Also for anyone to say Plymouth is not a football city needs to wake up! On most Saturdays supporters club coaches depart from Plymouth to attend other Premier League and Championship Club games! We have a perfect catchment area for big crowds but unfortunately only the die hard fans will continue to support Argyle whilst in League 2.

I'm sure no one intended to slag off the exiles, no one can blame them for the low gates.

Your last paragraph says it all.

Plus, I truly believe that Plymouth is not a football city. I used to believe it was, but the CCC last few seasons seemed to prove otherwise.

Thank God we have the Cornish support. :scarf:
You're welcome :thumbs:

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Seems like the major disagreement here is whether you consider the extra 7,000 who turned up for the derby as "fans" and a segment of the population who we could harness and expect to attend regularly.

My personal view is that these folks cannot be considered "fans" or "supporters" per se. They turn up because of an event, not because they want to support the team. We will never make them regulars, and we should never expect to. Not in L2, not in L1 and not in the Championship. In the PL for a season maybe, then after that we would probably lose 50% of those newbies anyway. They will rock up a handful of times a year as and how they choose. No amount of club initiatives can increase the gates by a significant amount. We could've won 7-0 v Exeter and it wouldn't have had any impact on last nights attendance.

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that in generations gone by, men (and women?) would have supported their local club ad taken their kids along as a right of passage. Therefore you had a natural succession of fans. Now so may working adults either move away for better opportunities and/or choose to support a PL team from Sky that their kids do not grow up with affinity to our club.

So maybe we need to stop talking about the "missing" X thousand.

Jul 13, 2006
But what does the club do to try and negate this shortfall?.....
You've got Christmas round the corner as well. For me it was pure and simple cost.
If they'd done a City and Orient for £30.00 and advertised it well a thousand more could have been there, with improved atmosphere and extra revenue from programmes, pasties etc.
I've asked this before and so have several others. What does the Marketing department do? I think they've hibernated for Winter.

Mar 4, 2013
Basingstoke
I have to admit to a certain amount of annoyance with the posts on this thread. I do know the adage that if that cap fits then wear it but a lot of comments are just totally out of order. I was one of the 14008 at the Exeter game and even bought a Romanian friend with me. We flew in from Romania after work on Friday night into Luton, drove to Plymouth very early sat Saturday morning saw the game then flew back Sunday. I want even start on the cost of it all suffice to say getting back to Plymouth for Tuesday night. Does that make me less of a fan? Cos listening to you lot makes me feel like it!!!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No mate, I think people are talking about the vast majority of the missing 7,000. The ones that live within Plymouth.

What should be the rank and file support of PLYMOUTH Argyle.

No one can expect people to travel hundreds of thousands of miles for a mid week game. That's just daft.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knarf Reprah":gilfzuzp said:
IJN":gilfzuzp said:
Knarf Reprah":gilfzuzp said:
Cost, pure and simple

Big big big part of it...lllacquaintance of mine had to decide between watching Barca or spending £40 watching Argo ......no brainier is it?

Agree; no brainer, Argyle every time for me. Haven't even checked how the 2 Manchester teams are doing tonight yet. I may watch the highlights.

C

Cobi Budge.

I do understand the whole people are entitled to go to the games they want to and money is an issue etc, but I doubt many clubs could lose 55% of their attendance in 3 days. The gate last night would have probably been the same if we beat Exeter incidentally, so I don't buy the argument that losing in-front of a big crowd has a detrimental effect.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
The 7000 fans weren't missing at all. They were a bonus,an indication of what this club could get through the turnstiles if we were in the next league up,or higher.However they won't come week in,week out, whilst we are in the fourth division,and indeed are losing especially when you most needed a win.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
March 3rd 2009 Coca Cola Championship v Watford. Attendance 9,529.

Will they Alan?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Fair point.

Let's move onto 2010 then.

March 6th PNE another 53 turned up.

All data thanks to GoS.