7000 missing | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

7000 missing

Feb 17, 2012
The Muff
It's pretty simple to me.

Big game, local derby, Saturday afternoon, top of the league and being told what great football argyle are playing.

Those 7000 extra fans will want to get value for money for them to return again ....argyle win, good football, entertaining match and good atmosphere.

They didn't get any of that so why will they want to part with their money again? If they'd of got that Saturday, I reckon 2,500-3,000 would of come back Tuesday night......and so on.

We need to put on performances when the 'floaters' turn up.......far too often though we never do!!

Feb 23, 2008
When are some people going to come to terms with the fact that alot of people don't have the money to attend every game so some will pick and choose which fixtures to attend?

When we were in the championship this was what, a year or two after the recession?

I for one had to be selective in the games I attended due to two babies and financial pressure from the company I worked for going bust. It's only this season I've been anywhere near affording a season ticket. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan/supporter, it just meant I had other priorities at the time.

Everyone's circumstances are different, these threads really do grip my poo sometimes.

Even the ones that only turn up for the big games, at least they're spending their money at Argyle and not watching the big teams down the pub on sky. Maybe in future if they find themselves in better economical shape and catch the bug then they may also return with their kids/mates etc.

Argyle's track record of freezing when under the spotlight, along with your typical janner apathy and the last few home performances won't help though.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Fergy":3oaxa1fs said:
We have about 7000-7500 regular attending fans, is that such an issue?

It is probably more than that. If you take away the three games over 10k, the average is about 7,000. It is very unlikely that these are the same 7,000 people every game. I would guess this average is produced with at least 8,000 souls and probably between 8k & 9k different people. This means that the "missing" is down to around 5,000.

You can prove anything you want with statistics ;)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Fact is football isn't the tribal "till you die" necessity it used to be, for some it really is just a day out, a hobby and like most day trips they compete with many other possible days out. A Saturday spent at the footy could be a day spent with the kids, a day spent with the other half, if you're lucky enough to live this side of the border you have a whole holiday destination on your doorstep.

The football isn't the only show in town these days, it isn't even the only football show in town; most of those "missing" last night would have saved themselves a bundle thanks to their monthly subscription to BT where football was beamed live to them in the warmth of their own homes whilst us mugs sat freezing our bits off watching Orient players roll around on the floor for 98 minutes.

We don't get it because we view football differently, the sort of person who reads this site lives and breaths Argyle, let's face it you don't spend your evening reading a Cobi Budge special on the pros and cons (mostly cons :greensmile: ) of Jervis up front unless you properly love Argyle, we just don't view the game as the other 7,000 do. That's not a bad thing, it isn't their fault, it isn't even a fault. 'Tis just the way of the world and the way of the modern game we now know as football.

May 8, 2011
I was looking through the attendances for games last night and saw that Fleetwood got 3,326. According to Wikipedia Fleetwood's population is approx 26,000 that means that about 12% of the town went to the game. We managed about 3%.

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":3rqkti4r said:
Fair point.

Let's move onto 2010 then.

March 6th PNE another 53 turned up.

All data thanks to GoS.

Dunno why particularly but that come back made I laaf :lol:

Jul 29, 2010
Y'know what Chunky I know it'll upset some folk but I don't altogether buy into the 'financial hardship/low wage economy' thing.

I will grant thee as an average the area has lower than average wages, and thus lower than average disposable income. But that only explains things so far.

The point earlier about Fleetwood turning out 12% of it"s population is a prime example. I don't recall the streets of Fleetwood being paved with gold either, yet they turned out four times the %age we did. Are they really four times more affluent?

The South West does indeed have it's problems economically but the size of Plymouth, let alone it's surrounds, must surely have more than sufficient numbers of working households to do better than 3% turnout. 97% of our vast catchment area can't possibly be living on or close to the breadline.

It's a factor for some, but no way the majority, not even close. Plymouth is a very big city.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
One of the main reasons that Fleetwood has a comparatively high percentage of supporters in relation to their population is because, historically, they have reached the peak of their achievements in the Football League, League 3, and their supporters aspire to further progress into League 2.

We are a much older club who have often been in League 2 and our aspirations in the past have been to achieve League 1 (the Premier League). Until we return to League 2 and, again, aspire to League 1 our comparative percentage will not increase dramatically.

Jul 29, 2010
....then, after a year ir two, despite playing great football at the business end of the fifth richest league in European football, it'll find some other excuse and fall away again.

Jul 29, 2010
Not sagging them off at all, as explained earlier in the thread I understand the reasons why. Understanding why something is frustrating doesn't stop it being frustrating...

...and Argyle's wildly fluctuating gates ARE frustrating. There's a bit of impasse denial going on methinks.

We need somehow to break this all too predictable cycle, Argyle have a much better future if we can capture the 'renewable energy' of these 'waves of support'.

But what I'm getting from a lot of the views on this thread though is a sense oh, "ah well, that's just the way it is", a big fat "meh". It's stopped being frustrating to some, it's become accepted.

And in any situation, when people shrug their shoulders and stop being bothered, nothing changes.

Jul 3, 2013
We are handicapped when comparing us to other teams who have had just one season in the Premiership, stats prove that even if you fall back down then you would have gained a couple thousand new fans. Also the clubs marketing department is absolute pants and always has been.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Stiffler":2pi0drhr said:
We are handicapped when comparing us to other teams who have had just one season in the Premiership, stats prove that even if you fall back down then you would have gained a couple thousand new fans. Also the clubs marketing department is absolute pants and always has been.
To be honest I think the team has to take some of the blame...

The performance on Saturday was awful, all those who turned up who don't normally attend will be saying 'what a load of tripe that was' (or words to that effect :whistle: )

And consequently not coming back

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
green eyed monster":1ek86wb7 said:
Stiffler":1ek86wb7 said:
To be honest I think the team has to take some of the blame...

The performance on Saturday was awful, all those who turned up who don't normally attend will be saying 'what a load of tripe that was' (or words to that effect :whistle: )

And consequently not coming back
Top fans :thumbs: