A question (of pride) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A question (of pride)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Phil Sloggett":3n8u35i4 said:
IJN":3n8u35i4 said:
You're as miserable as your old man sometimes Steve, you really are.

This man 'who doesn't like football' has a new number plate on his car. It starts with 'P' and ends in 'ARG' - Something doesn't quite fit really does it.

I'm pi$$ed off with losing at Morecambe, I fully expected three points when travelling up, but 'outplayed' that's just pure crap, so why should that moronic comment go unchallenged.

I do agree about JS being negative, if we had an attacking midfielder in that team yesterday I reckon we could have been 3-1 at half time.

But to see the OP's nonsense early this morning just underlines what some miserable sods are like.

We've come some distance from where we were, we've got a way to go yet, but from what I saw yesterday, we were desperately unlucky.

Still perhaps the Argyle wearing OP knows so much about football he's right from hundreds of miles away and us dimwits that attended saw the wrong thing.

Try looking at the positives as well as the negatives and certainly resist the temptation to talk crap.

People tend to read such rubbish and dismiss posters when if delivered differently people would agree with some of their points.

As for his 'Plymouth deserves better' comment, it certainly does, but simply moaning and Nanking about things doesn't really help does it?

Must go, I have an Argyle polo to buy, to prove I'm a real fan that cares!!

Ian, I accept that using the words 'outplayed by Morecambe' possibly weren't the best to use. We did lose though, something which doesn't bother some people enough in my opinion (you are not one of them, I know that!).

I can assure you that I'm not a 'miserable sod', as you put it. I'm just an ordinary fan who wants better from his underperforming football club.

With regards to what we do about it, I don't know. To be honest, some people are employed by the club to consider ways in which things can be improved. Perhaps they should be giving it some thought?

If you can agree that the phrase "outplayed by Morcambe" was badly phrased, what about your OP title? Nothing about that post is about pride or shame, it's about being happy or sad, content or discontent. To say you have no pride in your club means you are ashamed of your club so you and those that have agreed with you need to challenge yourselves to why you believe that way. I'm sorry if that at 16:45 yesterday Plymouth turned into a Dickensian melodrama and you had rotten fruit and veg thrown at you for daring to wear something green but you know it didn't happen.

Do I have pride in PAFC? you bet. Did we the supporters accept the club was going to die? No, and we have a few people to thank for that.
After so many years of thinking we'll lose every game because we can only field kids, do I feel more confidence for our future? Yes.
Do I want to watch a more swashbuckling style of football with flying wingmen, midfielders dancing through the opponents defences? Yes, but that's style over substance.
We lost yesterday to a club that is currently second in the table. We played away from home and the distances travelled again by the GA means our away support is second to none. We've lost our first game in three so it's called a halt to our little run but we've two home games now to get back on track. We're sitting nicely in the table so I think we have more positives on the playing side than negatives.

Off the pitch things are slow to happen, but we've been waiting too long for the stadium to be completed even before JBs involvement and why should a misfiring communications department bring you shame. If you make a pudding, be careful not to over egg it.

Feb 21, 2011
Currently I have few issues with anything but that swathe of ugly concrete that used to be the mayflower terrace, well that and that we haven't replaced Hourihane who scored again yesterday by the way.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
You never see this type of thread after a win. :lol:

If everything was perfect it wouldn't be the Argyle we know and love.

J

just_ste

Im more confident this season but I think the best we can achieve is to sneak a play off place,we aint consistent enough for anything more.
I do feel Sheridan doesnt get the best out of the players he has,I feel he is too keen on playing players out of position,im a firm believer in playing to a players strengths,play a wide player wide and a striker up front is just one of these instances,I think this is costing us points,also I think having a manager who is good with the media is very important to a club like ours,an upbeat interview before a game can sway a floating supporter,Sheridan does nothing to encourage anyone.I do feel he has signed some good players for this level but doesnt utilies them very well. s

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
I still can't get my head around to the fact that we are now losing to teams like Morecambe in front of 1500 crowds. If someone had said this would be the case a few years ago I would have laughed. Having followed Argyle for over 50 years it has now come to this that we have to accept that we can't beat teams like Morecambe.

J

just_ste

pilgrimage":2gv3yl4j said:
I still can't get my head around to the fact that we are now losing to teams like Morecambe in front of 1500 crowds. If someone had said this would be the case a few years ago I would have laughed. Having followed Argyle for over 50 years it has now come to this that we have to accept that we can't beat teams like Morecambe.
Trouble is alot of younger supporters this is all they know,so is more accepted by them,this is why when us older supportes moan,they think we are just being grumpy,this is Div 4 ffs and we aint setting the league alight,its depressing,

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Have to accept we can't beat teams like Morecambe?

Who does that then?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The combined average attendances of the top 3 sides in the division are less than ours. Something ain't right.

Feb 21, 2011
spowell92":282xpjkk said:
The combined average attendances of the top 3 sides in the division are less than ours. Something ain't right.
Not really, until suspension and injury comes in and teams can play their best eleven most teams are of similar strength as the season goes on squad size becomes a factor.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Evans":29waib0g said:
we have an owner who doesn't like football,he then employs a dour manager who never shows any passion or pride himself

Just because he doesn't wave his arms around like a lunatic, that doesn't make him any less proud or passionate. Those feelings can be felt without being acted.

we are getting beaten easily by most teams these days.

Given we finished 10th last year, this is wildly inaccurate.

I think the reason I feel less connection to the club than I have throughout the time i've supported them is to do with the group of players. Growing up, players like Norris, Wotton, Coughlan etc.. were at Home Park for lengthy spells and were top quality players. This endeared them to the fans and all three are still icons amongst the fan base. Who do we have now? Nobody really. You've got McCormick who is long serving, but the reality is he's here because it's where he feels comfortable following everything that happened. His loyalty is only circumstantial. You have Reid, who despite his performances, only really came back because he was struggling to find his feet at a higher level. If teams higher up came in for Reuben I doubt he'd hang around. The only other player is Nelson, and I do believe he could go on to be a club legend, if the club progresses at a speed that allows him to fulfill his ambitions with us. Because we all know he's going to go on to play higher whether it's with us not.

So that for me is why I don't feel as connected. There's not one player who I can pick out and say "he's my favourite". Nobody who I think "I can't wait to see him play on Saturday", like you would with Buzsaky for example. The turnover of players is too high at the lower levels, and unfortunately we don't really have anyone coming through the youth ranks capable of being that Wotton-esque local hero.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Steve.PAFC2012":17o1pph2 said:
On the pitch I'm confident we have what it takes to mount a promotion push although I'm still not 100% convinced by Sheridan but I don't all the blame should be put on him yesterday (No doubt demportdave will have a rant saying I'm wrong despite me being there)

Off the pitch however it just appears to be a shambles.
You are starting to sound a bit paranoid Steve.

However, it appears that you also share my doubts over Sheridan so at least we agree on that.

Whilst I was really pleased that we won at Luton, a more confident side (such as Bury) would have been 2 or 3 up by HT last week and yesterday, we lost once again as a result of poor defending.

Sheridan has signed 3 new defenders, yet we are still conceding bad goals and that is why I don't share your green-tinted optimism.

Not sure what the relevance is of you being there is with regards to the shambolic defending or the inability to score more than one goal and that was from a free kick rather than open play, despite claims about how well we played; that is irrelevant if we don't convert the good play into goals.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
demportdave":1ntivhd2 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1ntivhd2 said:
On the pitch I'm confident we have what it takes to mount a promotion push although I'm still not 100% convinced by Sheridan but I don't all the blame should be put on him yesterday (No doubt demportdave will have a rant saying I'm wrong despite me being there)

However, it appears that you also share my doubts over Sheridan so at least we agree on that.

Whilst I was really pleased that we won at Luton, a more confident side (such as Bury) would have been 2 or 3 up by HT last week and yesterday, we lost once again as a result of poor defending.

Sheridan has signed 3 new defenders, yet we are still conceding bad goals and that is why I don't share your green-tinted optimism.

Not sure what the relevance is of you being there is with regards to the shambolic defending or the inability to score more than one goal and that was from a free kick rather than open play, despite claims about how well we played; that is irrelevant if we don't convert the good play into goals.

We are conceding bad goals, but only 6 in 7 games. Cut out the mistakes and defensively we could be very sound. More an issue of focus and concentration IMO. Which is more down to the players than Sheridan.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
I don't feel massively proud but I'd feel comfortable in an Argyle shirt at the moment, no pun intended. Things have been so much worse and it wasn't that long ago. Yes the outlook doesn't look all that bright off the pitch but at least the team isn't losing every week and that goes a hell of a long way in restoring pride. If you'd asked me how proud I was two or three years ago I'd have said "not even slightly", although I would've been proud of the supporter intervention that essentially paved the way for Brent to come in and buy it out.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
demportdave":1oi7is35 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1oi7is35 said:

I'm the complete opposite of a green tint