A question (of pride) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A question (of pride)

T

Tyhee_Slim

Whatever pride I had in Argyle went down the plughole the night we allowed HP to be Newcastle's home ground live in telly.

It's still in my blood of course, but MY Argyle is just memories now. I'm happier when we win than when we lose of course, but it really just doesnt feel that important any more that one group of overpaid mercenaries employed by a bunch of soulless businessmen scores more goals than the other lot.

As for having an Argyle number plate, well whoopdy-bleddy-doo. They're the preserve of the tw@s to start with, and also it just comes across as blatant cynical heart and mind winning.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Let's just be aware that Morecambe are 2nd in the league.

I'm in full agreement that anything less than top seven this season is a failure. Not disputing we should be amongst the better teams in this league. But let's not pretend we're the only team to lose to puny little Morecambe because we aren't. They may be small but they've started the season well.

This is the kind of patronising talk that we hated from Wolves/Leeds fans when we were making a good start in the Championship.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Tyhee_Slim":38wshfs1 said:
As for having an Argyle number plate, well whoopdy-bleddy-doo. They're the preserve of the tw@s to start with, and also it just comes across as blatant cynical heart and mind winning.

It does if you have that mind set Slim.

Others may well think that he now has a thing about Argyle.

After all, and it's a fair point I think, he attends way more than most, still very strange behaviour for a Propertry Developing/ Old Etonian/Ex Banker.

You can look for grassy knolls all you like, I think it says more about you than it does him.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
GreenSam":1sxtw94u said:

I'm in full agreement that anything less than top seven this season is a failure. Not disputing we should be amongst the better teams in this league. But let's not pretend we're the only team to lose to puny little Morecambe because we aren't. They may be small but they've started the season well.

This is the kind of patronising talk that we hated from Wolves/Leeds fans when we were making a good start in the Championship.

Sam, certain posters have particularly focused on my reference to yesterday's game but my current dissatisfaction is based on a lot more than our loss to Morecambe.

I respect Morecambe as a club but don't feel there should be anyone who we accept losing to because they are 'one of the better teams in the league' (the sort of thing people were saying about Bury when we lost to them). WE should be one of the better teams in the league, Bury (and Morecambe) have very few things which we don't.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Phil Sloggett":3t9zgtn4 said:
GreenSam":3t9zgtn4 said:

Sam, certain posters have particularly focused on my reference to yesterday's game but my current dissatisfaction is based on a lot more than our loss to Morecambe.

I respect Morecambe as a club but don't feel there should be anyone who we accept losing to because they are 'one of the better teams in the league' (the sort of thing people were saying about Bury when we lost to them). WE should be one of the better teams in the league, Bury (and Morecambe) have very few things which we don't.
I accept that entirely, it wasn't aimed specifically at you and I more or less agree with that.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
GreenSam":2g7dnrdq said:
Phil Sloggett":2g7dnrdq said:
GreenSam":2g7dnrdq said:

I accept that entirely, it wasn't aimed specifically at you and I more or less agree with that.

Cheers Sam. My reply wasn't meant to be a criticism of you either. I find your posts interesting to read and completely respect the way in which you articulate yourself.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I don't always read them Phil, what I saw was an Argyle team that were crap for about 30 minutes, and then took the last 15 minutes of the first half.

First 20 minutes of the second half was split then for the next 25 minutes we gave it a right good go, we had one cleared off the line, a deffo pen which on a decent day one or both of those would go our way.

The season before, I saw our pee poor side capitulate and lie down against them.

We're not great by any means no one is in this league, but I (and many others) can see great improvement this season, and I get to all the matches and I'm pleased with the progress (although never fast enough).

We need an attacking midfielder and an answer to who partners Reubs, but other than that, I'm getting happier about what i see.

Off the field, I hate seeing the Mayflower steps as they are, I hate the old grandstand and wish we would hurry and build a new one.

BUT we are way way way better than the kids and journeymen that started the seasons with one point out of nine games.

C

Cobi Budge.

I can't pinpoint it but something about Argyle is quite 'off' at the moment.

On the pitch, we aren't doing amazing, but we are doing ok, I don't really have a problem with the team or our form at all.

However, what is making fans feel the sentiments expressed on this thread? The lack of promised transparency? The delays and u-turns on HHP? The size of the new stand? No relationship between manager and fans? Even the anger with the media team and the empty mayflower contribute.

It's bizzare but the only way I can describe it is that something isn't right & I agree, that while I still love going to games, I don't feel the 'pride' I did a few seasons ago when, despite our on the pitch woes, everyone was pulling together and bleeding green and white.

T

Tyhee_Slim

IJN":2dnxqc8z said:
Tyhee_Slim":2dnxqc8z said:

It does if you have that mind set Slim.

Others may well think that he now has a thing about Argyle.

After all, and it's a fair point I think, he attends way more than most, still very strange behaviour for a Propertry Developing/ Old Etonian/Ex Banker.

You can look for grassy knolls all you like, I think it says more about you than it does him.

WTF? To be honest, he probably does care more about Argyle than I do right now, but I don't honestly believe that he'll ever have the club in his soul the way I did for forty odd years. Besides, as i said, I think that spending whatever it costs on a number plate says more about him than about me. Although I'll admit to being hopelessly out of touch with modern football, or modern life in general, and the role that such shallow gestures play in it. Twattery of the first water.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
:lol: Geddon you old hippy.

hippie-3500.gif

To be fair you've never got the number plate thing.

T

Tyhee_Slim

You're wrong. I 'get it' perfectly as it goes, as I explained. Still, at least the sight of one gives the rest of us a bit of advancd warning along the lines of 'BEWARE - TW@ DRIVING'.