"Advice to the new Board Members" | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"Advice to the new Board Members"

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":332wsrvp said:
I think that Simon Hallett was hoping for sensible, constructive advice from a website that he respected sufficiently to contribute to. Unfortunately, a lot of the responses have treated this as an opportunity to make comical rather than serious suggestions.

Oh come on! Sensible constructive advice on how to be a Board member from a website of this nature? I would hope Mr Hallett would know what he wants, and needs, to do.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
davie nine":38jwrlqw said:
Created on the suggestion of Simon Hallett (new director).

Add more money to the budget for players, bring back quid for a kid and hopefully try and get a big team down here for a pre season game

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":1rwg2xnz said:
I think that Simon Hallett was hoping for sensible, constructive advice from a website that he respected sufficiently to contribute to. Unfortunately, a lot of the responses have treated this as an opportunity to make comical rather than serious suggestions.
Why do people think this forum is so important or has any influence over what happens at HP, both on and off the pitch.

It provides a very good opportunity for fans to air their views on everything Argyle, but there are also many Argyle fans who have never contributed or even read a post on this website. As such, PASOTI only represents the views of a relatively small number of fans.

To suggest that a Director and serious investor in the club is looking for ideas and inspiration from PASOTI frankly is ludicrous.

The Directors should engage with the fans and tell us what their plans are and where they see the club going. But if Hallett needs the fans advice on what to do, he shouldn't be on the Board.

Football Club Directors are like those elected to public office in that they are there to make the right decisions on our behalf. They shouldn't be responding to the latest opinion polls or 'asking the people' what they want; they should know.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I agree that existing directors should be in touch with what is required but it just seemed that, as a new director, Mr Hallett thought that, as he had been prepared to take the time to contribute to a thread about his appointment, Pasoti members may be prepared to make some sensible suggestions.
Still, you obviously don't want to make any sensible suggestions so no problem.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":1ez4dzjw said:
I agree that existing directors should be in touch with what is required but it just seemed that, as a new director, Mr Hallett thought that, as he had been prepared to take the time to contribute to a thread about his appointment, Pasoti members may be prepared to make some sensible suggestions.
As I implied in my post, if any Director feels he needs to ask someone like me what he needs to do for my club, then he really shouldn't be a Director.

What do you want next, Tony Blair and his New Labour focus groups?

Football Clubs are not meant to be democracies, putting things to the people. Just get on and do what's right for the club.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
collective wrists slapped and we are all standing in the corner. :twisted:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
davie nine":2zjhc61f said:

Obviously that's your take on what he said. To my mind, Simon Hallett was very good at coming onto the site and stating his position (which he needn't have done) and when questioned he suggested (I believe tongue firmly in cheek) that if the poster who I can't remember had any suggestions to start a thread.

I'd imagine he'd expected some if not all the cringeworthy ideas about how he should spend his money some of which bordered on the insulting. Surely it's time this thread was locked as it serves no purpose other than a focal point to vent against the current board (except SH) and we can concentrate on the two (maybe three) most important games for a few years.

Just my opinion though.

Apr 11, 2016
All,
No offense taken by the funny replies. I've already quoted some of them as examples of one thing I love about England--the sense of humour.
We're going to get plenty of advice in the next few years.
See you at Portsmouth.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Evans":sgisjmi5 said:
Mr. Hallett you are rapidly becoming a legend. :nworthy:

Blimey you're honoured Steve's used 2 capitals!! :lol:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
simonh":3houw8wh said:
All,
No offense taken by the funny replies. I've already quoted some of them as examples of one thing I love about England--the sense of humour.
We're going to get plenty of advice in the next few years.
See you at Portsmouth.

Worst advice I got, many times, over a long career was "it can't be done"---they were always wrong. So if you could get Argyle into the Premier League I'd much appreciate it, oh and can you find a way of utilising the Mayflower Terrace---and can we have a bloody clock! Don't tell me it can't be done :)

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
How about a nice pre-season in North Carolina. You could use the SAS grounds in Cary which the USA team have used for training prior to World Cups, and take on some MLS teams. This has nothing to do with me living 10 miles from the ground.