AFT meets with Tudor Evans about HHP (plus club statement) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT meets with Tudor Evans about HHP (plus club statement)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Pogleswoody":2wnz6966 said:
xmastree":2wnz6966 said:
Disappointingly weak Club Statement. Suggests there are misunderstandings, but doesn't want to dwell on them. No attempt at clarification then, which will create more distrust and possibly more misunderstandings. I'm afraid they don't help themselves sometimes.

They probably weren't expecting the person who has overall 'power' over the City and it's development to discuss their business with a third party without involving them .. maybe?? :think:

The Club statement sums up so much of why these problems arise. No detail may be due to on going contractual matters, but, the reference to no further statement before (late) October is in contrast to James Brent's recent comments in the matchday programme.

If you leave a vacuum it will be filled with rumour, conjecture and gossip. Personally, I am disappointed with the statement and would have hoped to see something a bit more positive and reassuring to the fan base.

Dec 6, 2011
Hi All

I thought that given the gravity of this situation, I would break my silence (and take the predictable abuse from some quarters that comes with this).

I have spoken today with both Tudor Evans and James Brent and to put it mildly I think the statement is misleading. I don't believe that the AFT have mislead anyone. I don't think Tudor has knowingly either. From what I have been able to glean it seems that the briefings given to Tudor may not have been the best.

I was having some banter with Sam from the AFT earlier and as usual all the internet brigade have jumped up and down and take it as criticism. All I was / am saying is that I see absolutely no point in an interview / statement like this. When you meet one side of a debate that will always lead to a he said / she said type of response. The Club has responded (and probably kept it vague so a political dispute with PCC isn't opened) and the fanbase is none the wiser as to what is going on.

This is a massive issue for Argyle fans and the City. Get everyone in the same room and hold a full and frank debate. If the AFT really wants to re-claim its position as the voice of the fans then maybe call a summit meeting, get everyone that matters there and produce a statement to the fans that is clear, unchallengeable and moves the situation forward.

It may have seemed like news a few hours ago but once the Club counters it we, as a fanbase are no further forward.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

esmer":17ng9egy said:
xmastree":17ng9egy said:
Disappointingly weak Club Statement. Suggests there are misunderstandings, but doesn't want to dwell on them. No attempt at clarification then, which will create more distrust and possibly more misunderstandings. I'm afraid they don't help themselves sometimes.
Exactly, a very disappointing response.

Who's genuinely surprised though?

Sam has it bang on. If there was anything concrete that they could catagorically refute, they would (or darn well should) have.

They didn't. Or couldn't.

Well done Sam, well done the AFT, and lastly (bizarrely) well done Tudor Evans.

BRENT OUT, NOW.

(Oh Chris, the club made their statement, it was painfully weak)

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Chris,

Thanks for posting.

However a club statement that gives no detail and then says there will be no more statements until October is of little comfort.

Dec 6, 2011
cheshiregreen":199wnjnh said:
Chris,

Thanks for posting.

However a club statement that gives no detail and then says there will be no more statements until October is of little comfort.

I agree with you chesiregreen but I suppose the Board had the options of..

1. Saying nothing then the minutes become fact

2. Pointing out one by one every error and thus leading to a public clash with the Council Leader at a critical time

3. Politely saying they don't agree and therefore leaving us where we are.

As I have said, why not get all parties in the same room? Surely that is the only way forward? This was always a recipe for disaster (albeit a well intended one).

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
What the heck is the Council Leader doing in this beartrap? thought he was 'better' than this? either a deliberate 'attack' or a clueless contribution. What happened to his political 'nose'?? :thumbdown:

Oct 24, 2010
cheshiregreen":qx6njjtk said:
Chris,

Thanks for posting.

Not exactly what you would describe as constructive and informative dialog.

Jul 29, 2010
cheshiregreen":27lvczsc said:
Pogleswoody":27lvczsc said:
xmastree":27lvczsc said:

They probably weren't expecting the person who has overall 'power' over the City and it's development to discuss their business with a third party without involving them .. maybe?? :think:

The Club statement sums up so much of why these problems arise. No detail may be due to on going contractual matters, but, the reference to no further statement before (late) October is in contrast to James Brent's recent comments in the matchday programme.

If you leave a vacuum it will be filled with rumour, conjecture and gossip. Personally, I am disappointed with the statement and would have hoped to see something a bit more positive and reassuring to the fan base.

What 'ee said ^^^

Aug 5, 2005
Chris Webb":20ryfl87 said:
cheshiregreen":20ryfl87 said:
Chris,

Thanks for posting.

2. Pointing out one by one every error and thus leading to a public clash with the Council Leader at a critical time

As I have said, why not get all parties in the same room? Surely that is the only way forward? This was always a recipe for disaster (albeit a well intended one).

Chris,

Seriously the club aren't going to say anything for eight weeks? EIGHT WEEKS?

What, if anything is preventing them from saying anything until then? Surely they realise that it will just enable rumour and conjecture to breed? (As Cheshire Green said)

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Chris,

I don't think you and I will ever wholly agree on this. I think we'll have to agree to differ that I think this was our best chance of getting a clearer picture and you don't. That's fair enough and neither one of us will probably win the other one over- at least not today. Disagreement is healthy.

As for the latter point though- whilst I disagree with your wider premise, I think that in your last paragraph you hit upon one point that I have sympathy with. That regarding the open fans summit. Just a friendly reminder that such events were scheduled to be held by the club (albeit, not with Tudor there but he could of course still have turned up) at intermittent points across the season as a replacement for the abolished PASB model. As of yet, none of these meetings have been scheduled. Again, this is not attacking anyone and the Trust is more than happy to help facilitate these summits if asked. Just a reminder of the post-PASB agreement.

Sam.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Chris Webb":191ciylj said:
cheshiregreen":191ciylj said:
Chris,

Thanks for posting.

A recipe for a Brent/Akkeron PR disaster, for sure. As regards actually giving the fanbase some thing to chew on rather than perpetual silence, then I'd say once again, well done all concerned.

30green

Captains Log":2lur46qn said:
30green":2lur46qn said:
For me, I'd rather no new stand but an owner who is in it for the football... Seems a better option than a shiny new, non profit making, half empty stand and an owner who is in it for the wrong reasons.

I can't believe how short some peoples memories are. James Brent was (and still is unless somebody can tell me different) the only thing stopping the club going out of business.

I don't buy all this what if nonsense. We've little chance of moving forward under Brent. Alternatives should be investigated. Even if it takes years I really think we should start looking beyond a man who doesnt understand the whole picture

Dec 6, 2011
GreenSam":2pwqwmup said:
Chris,

I don't think you and I will ever wholly agree on this. I think we'll have to agree to differ that I think this was our best chance of getting a clearer picture and you don't. That's fair enough and neither one of us will probably win the other one over- at least not today. Disagreement is healthy.

As for the latter point though- whilst I disagree with your wider premise, I think that in your last paragraph you hit upon one point that I have sympathy with. That regarding the open fans summit. Just a friendly reminder that such events were scheduled to be held by the club (albeit, not with Tudor there but he could have course still have turned up) at intermittent points across the season as a replacement for the abolished PASB model. As of yet, none of these meetings have been scheduled. Again, this is not attacking anyone and the Trust is more than happy to help facilitate these summits if asked. Just a reminder of the post-PASB agreement.

Sam.

Sam,

Again, not meaning to teach you how to suck eggs but if you continue with the 'well the Club were meant to organise it, they didn't so its their fault' line then the AFT will continue to be irrelevant.

The AFT is an independent body. It doesn't need to simply comply with everything laid out by the Club. Why not write to Argyle and PCC saying its an important matter and could a meeting be set up asap? It isn't rocket science, it is being proactive. This is an important enough subject to warrant a special meeting, in my view and I am sure that many other Argyle fans will agree.

In response to you point about us agreeing to disagree that is fine but the undeniable fact is that we are no further forward as a fanbase now than we were prior to the release of the AFT statement. I have spoken to Tudor myself as you know and the Club have been gentle in their statement to avoid political fallout at such a critical time.

The fans are calling for leadership. Get in there.

Aug 15, 2008
My view is that Tudor wants James to hurry up already. The Council are holding their end of the bargain with the rate relief and rent relief and he is frustrated by the lack of progress.

The Club release an insipid statement to attempt a mild rebuke whilst keeping the council onside. I think this is a case of letting all parties get on with it. Problem is that these days we all want to know everything as it happens.

I hope they get this right and deliver a facility worthy of PAFC and Plymouth as a whole and we do not get some half baked compromise that does not deliver on any level.

I am going to stand back and see what transpires as I do actually trust the men at the sharp end in this venture - I just hope it is not a case of giving a man enough rope.........