Any trialists tonight? (Norburn & Capriotti confirmed) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any trialists tonight? (Norburn & Capriotti confirmed)

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Couldn't get net on my phone at the match, so apologies there. But like others have said, of the two trialists Norburn was a decent player and the other was pretty anonymous. Barely managed to get involved and wasn't particularly bright when he did. He played a nice shoulder pass down to Tyler (I think), but bar that he wasnt very good imo.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Been happy with JS's signings so far, but I'd raise an eyebrow if he signed Norburn who spent most of last season as a bench-warmer for a team relegated to non-league football. But then I'm only a footie fan, not a manager with an eye to spot potential. Still, 'tis only a friendly and I'm sure there'll be more triallists to look at.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Capriotti looked out of his depth, as did Morgan, but that's for a different thread. Norburn looked useful and should get another run out, perhaps against the Gulls. Difficult to judge against Tavy to be fair, but as others have said Capriotti will be on the next plane home and Norburn might just have been looking to impress to get a contract, but worth another look.

Sep 2, 2008
Quinny":arpw0j6z said:
Been happy with JS's signings so far, but I'd raise an eyebrow if he signed Norburn who spent most of last season as a bench-warmer for a team relegated to non-league football. But then I'm only a footie fan, not a manager with an eye to spot potential. Still, 'tis only a friendly and I'm sure there'll be more triallists to look at.

Ditto. I thought he was a bit of a passenger considering he was trialling. He seemed a confident player but this belied is actual ability as far as I could see. Reminded me a bit of Bencherif. I'm hoping that Shezza is looking for someone who is at least at the same level as Conor. Surely he wouldn't settle for anything less..?

Nov 22, 2006
mixed views on Norburn then but it seems like he's likely to get a second chance, be interesting to see how he fairs against slightly better opposition before making a final opinion on him, the american however does not sound like he's worth it

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
gaspargomez":3njsvoqb said:
Ottawa Green":3njsvoqb said:
The other guy Oliver Norburn played 51 games for Bristol Rovers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Norburn

Bristol Rovers of the Blue Square Premier !
was he one of the players who took them there ?

Well, they weren't doing great but we're fairly comfortable until the end of the season. For whatever reason Ward went off Norburn and released him in March. Prior to that he was a pretty regular starter. They released him and then the true decline of that team took place. Funny how many would take the relegated o'Toole but not Norburn for the same reasons.

Jun 11, 2012
spowell92":o8nzhiuj said:
gaspargomez":o8nzhiuj said:
Ottawa Green":o8nzhiuj said:

Well, they weren't doing great but we're fairly comfortable until the end of the season. For whatever reason Ward went off Norburn and released him in March. Prior to that he was a pretty regular starter. They released him and then the true decline of that team took place. Funny how many would take the relegated o'Toole but not Norburn for the same reasons.
I think the fact that Norburn was released by a soon-to-be relegated side makes him more off-putting than O'Toole. O'Toole was clearly just about their best player.

Sep 2, 2008
Cerbera":3bwc9rva said:
If we were in the market for someone the same level as Conor, surely we'd be looking at L1 and spending £200k? We're not, and we don't have the money.

I was thinking more of where Conor was when he first joined us. I remember him being athletic, full of energy and really wanting the ball which are prerequisites for a central midfielder in my book (look at Coxy). Bearing in mind Norburn was trialling he really didn't put himself in the window for me.

HarlHM":18u4g6yz said:
spowell92":18u4g6yz said:
gaspargomez":18u4g6yz said:
Ottawa Green":18u4g6yz said:

I think the fact that Norburn was released by a soon-to-be relegated side makes him more off-putting than O'Toole. O'Toole was clearly just about their best player.
They weren't 'soon to be relegated' when Bristol released him to be fair. Although it is alleged by some that Norburn was released for non-footballing reasons.

Jun 11, 2012
MannameadGreen":1fj0wlj3 said:
They weren't 'soon to be relegated' when Bristol released him to be fair. Although it is alleged by some that Norburn was released for non-footballing reasons.
They were, because they did get relegated. ;)

Meh, regardless of that, I thought he looked superb yesterday. I'd like to see him against sterner opposition though.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Norburn can play. Sadly like many young men who suddenly come into some form of decent money and stardom, things go to their heads - he dated an actress who apparently is more famous for hanging with other celebrities than any work shes done. So just maybe he fell in love with the bright lights and didn't put enough work in - if that's the case, he isn't the first and wont be the last.

Forget this rubbish about Bristol Rovers went down he must be rubbish - does that mean every footballer at Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham aren't good enough to play in the Prem? Clearly not - Ruddy is wanted by a number of top half sides, Snodgrass, Leroy Fer, Gary Hooper, Martin Olsen and several others from Norwich alone will all be back playing premier league football next year.

Hopefully we'll look at him over the next 2-3 weeks, assuming he doesn't get offers elsewhere. Then we have to trust JS and the staff to make the right call. But that decision cant be based on 45 mins at Tavi or because of Rover's league position.