Any trialists tonight? (Norburn & Capriotti confirmed) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any trialists tonight? (Norburn & Capriotti confirmed)

B

Benji1

Again, Will we see any other trialists in the game tonight at Torquay. As Capriotti is not being retained and might open up for another trialist.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I said it on another thread, but perhaps here is more appropriate.

I don't understand why we don't have the turnaround of trialists that Luggy once had - it seemed that we could almost field a team of trialists from all over the world back in the day. Has Sheridan not got the contacts, or are we just not as attractive as we once were? There's definitely enough free agents out there to warrant having a look, and yet it seems we've only had 2 trialists all summer - one of which we've signed!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We've signed 7 others though.

Perhaps, again, it's quality rather than quantity.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Agree to an extent Ian, but surely it's worth getting some trialists in to just assess what's out there and see whether they'll fit into our plans? As Luggy found, there's plenty of keen talented players out there, it's just a case of casting your net and finding them.

At the moment, it feels a bit like Sheridan's not prepared to give free agents a go - especially given his recent comment about "it'll be players who are already having a pre-season and not sat on their backsides".

In spite of this he's just signed a player off the back of a successful trial, so why isn't he looking at more? Makes no sense to me.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I don't think having lots of trialists is a good thing unless you have a threadbare squad with lots of holes that need patching.

We already have the basis of the squad in place following the signings made over the summer and, for me, the key now is to get those players match fit and used to playing together. Putting trialists into the team just means minutes on the pitch not available for existing squad members.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
That's a fair point Doc, but I don't see why we can't just have some guys in training with us - they don't necessarily have to play a full game unless they're worthy. Look at the success we've had following trials in the past though; surely it's worth more of a consideration.

Apr 1, 2009
Perhaps worthy of a thread of its own, but which players (including and since Sturrock Mk 1) were on trial (not loan), and subsequently signed AND proved successful?

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I would say the vast majority had trials with us before signing, Luggy seemed to find his "wee nuggets" from all over the continent, none of which were on loan first to my memory.

Apr 1, 2009
vibratingspider":28axzzdm said:
I would say the vast majority had trials with us before signing, Luggy seemed to find his "wee nuggets" from all over the continent, none of which were on loan first to my memory.

Apart from Friio and Larrieu, which mainland European players were signed and successful under Luggy? I'm sure there were several, but can't think of a single one!

Mar 23, 2008
xmastree":162hps4p said:
vibratingspider":162hps4p said:

Apart from Friio and Larrieu, which mainland European players were signed and successful under Luggy? I'm sure there were several, but can't think of a single one!
I used to like Osvaldo Lopes, no-one else did! How about Miguel Reseinho, the signing that never was? Agree on broader point, surprised we have not had a couple more trialiats when there are thousands of players without a club. You cannot tell me there isn't one released Premier League youngster who hasn't made the grade worth a 45 minute run out?