Are we a top 7 team in League 2? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Are we a top 7 team in League 2?

• Thread starter argylefaninwales
  • Start date
Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge.":319g0obv said:
I quite like the fact that few are forecasting a top 7 finish for us (both our fans and other fans). Get the feeling it'll be an under the radar job.

The squad isn't all there but we've made some very tidy acquisitions, who seem to be acquitting themselves well.

For the first time in a long time, the fan base are actually positive and excited going into a new season.

Anyway, my L2 prediction:

1. Wycombe
2. Cambridge
3. Oxford

4. Pompey
5. Plymouth Argyle
6. Notts County
7. Stevenage

23. Mansfield
24. York

Wycombe - no chance, their opportunity was last season where they gambled on a small squad of talented players and got lucky with their injuries. They won't be so lucky again this year I imagine.

I'd stick Yeovil in there purely because of the Sturrock factor.

Luton will also be there or thereabouts, the only reason they weren't in the playoffs last season is because they collapsed at the end of the season, I can't see that happening again.

I'd also not underestimate Bristol Rovers, they were being predicted top spot before they went down and although I wouldn't see them as favourites because of their relegation I wouldn't bet against them going for back-to-back promotions this year.

Portsmouth, meh everyone's had them as favourites since they came down, of course this might be their year but I can't see it.

Can't see Pompey going too high, lost a few of their key players. We should be up towards the top I reckon, Luton and Stevenage sniffing around too.

Only because of Total Club Manager 2004, but I want Mansfield to defy all expectation and push up the table.

Jun 8, 2014
Emeraldinho":1jistzuz said:
Wycombe, really?! Can't see it this season..or Cambridge for that matter. Take those two out of your top 7 and I reckon the ramaining 5 would be about right.

Cambridge have bought very well and are my outside bets for promotion this year. Wycombe is a maybe, they did overachieve last year so this season we'll see if it was a fluke or Ainsworth is genuinely a very good manager. I'd lean more towards the latter on that one.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Ollieargyle9":3adjew69 said:
Cobi Budge.":3adjew69 said:
I quite like the fact that few are forecasting a top 7 finish for us (both our fans and other fans). Get the feeling it'll be an under the radar job.

The squad isn't all there but we've made some very tidy acquisitions, who seem to be acquitting themselves well.

For the first time in a long time, the fan base are actually positive and excited going into a new season.

Anyway, my L2 prediction:

1. Wycombe
2. Cambridge
3. Oxford

4. Pompey
5. Plymouth Argyle
6. Notts County
7. Stevenage

23. Mansfield
24. York

Wycombe - no chance, their opportunity was last season where they gambled on a small squad of talented players and got lucky with their injuries. They won't be so lucky again this year I imagine.

I'd stick Yeovil in there purely because of the Sturrock factor.

Luton will also be there or thereabouts, the only reason they weren't in the playoffs last season is because they collapsed at the end of the season, I can't see that happening again.

I'd also not underestimate Bristol Rovers, they were being predicted top spot before they went down and although I wouldn't see them as favourites because of their relegation I wouldn't bet against them going for back-to-back promotions this year.

Portsmouth, meh everyone's had them as favourites since they came down, of course this might be their year but I can't see it.

Agree with that, especially Wycombe, thin squad that got lucky last term. Went at the playoffs like it was their only hope and it probably is. We need a good start, no messing, get points on the board and make people fear playing us.

G

GreenArmyShacks

Not with the minimal, thinly spread squad we have that is relying too heavily on youth

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
As Alan Hansen once said "You don't win anythin' with kids" or words to that effect.

I think most of us would be delighted if one or two of our youth squad was given the opportunity at the appropriate time.

Admittedly, it is a delicate balance to achieve but I would like to see them given a chance perhaps in the Capital One Cup to start with.

Jan 3, 2013
up_the_line":3n5zchmv said:
Injuries, suspensions and loss of loan players will cost us. The squad is too thin
liverpool won the old first division using 13 players so as usual you're either trolling or talking out of your bottom

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knarf Reprah":1pg4gljq said:
up_the_line":1pg4gljq said:
Injuries, suspensions and loss of loan players will cost us. The squad is too thin
liverpool won the old first division using 13 players so as usual you're either trolling or talking out of your bottom

That was 1966. England won the world cup that year. Football has changed a wee tiny bit over the last half century.
And anyway, it was 14 players.
Royal Engineers won the FA Cup in 1875, presumably you think they stand a reasonable chance this year too?
As usual you're both trolling AND talking out of your sphinter

Jan 3, 2013
up_the_line":17p429of said:
Knarf Reprah":17p429of said:
up_the_line":17p429of said:

That was 1966. England won the world cup that year. Football has changed a wee tiny bit over the last half century.
And anyway, it was 14 players.
As usual you're both trolling AND talking out of your sphinter
doesnt deserve a response

Oct 24, 2010
The playing budget is very relevant to our chances of success and it would be interesting to know where we are in the "budget league" and it would appear due to FFP that the figures are readily available to the club. Perhaps the AFT could get the information from Mr Starnes at their next meeting. Also can he be asked to give clarification on his figure that income from the first 2,000 of the attendance for each game will be used to pay off debt (if in fact he gave that figure, there is always the chance that it is a "Pasoti fact"). By my calculations the Football Creditors debt would account for only 800 attendees (£200,000 divided by 23 games divided by say £11 (average ticket price after concessions and VAT), is the other 1,200 to repay PCC and repay Mr Brent the loans he has made to the club? There is no problem if this is the case but it would be nice to know as, given our recent history,the debt situation is of huge importance to the fanbase.

Oct 24, 2010
spowell92":bfod4vbr said:
I think the remaining creditor debt stands at £500,000 esmer, not £200,000.
The balloon payment (the amount of Football Creditors debt outstanding after five years) has been reduced to £500,000 by the loan from PCC but I assume we are still making the annual payment which is £200,000.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The grandstand development was supposed to generate the needed additional income to pay off the "balloon" (why balloon by the way?) half of the FC debt wasn't it? Obviously that's not going to be done by October next year, or at least it wouldn't have had sufficient time to receive that cash boost, so I'm guessing the annual payment has been restructured to cover reducing the balloon payment also. That would be my guess anyway Esmer, makes sense given 2000 off the gates at £11 would cover the rest of that historic debt.