Argyle v Weymouth | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Weymouth

C

Cult Of Personality

Nathan Thomas is going to be a Star for us this season .He just looks like a fast tricky winger in the Buster Phillps Mold

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
What the hell does Yetton look like :shock:

Great finisher though, another one missed by Argyle.

72 goals during the 2006–07 season
27 league goals in 44 league games in his first season at Weymouth. In May 2014

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Errington has called it right in the round up of the Weymouth game when he highlights the sparseness of the squad.
This season represents a huge gamble by Sheridan...Quality over quantity is all well and good but if Cox is as injury prone as recent history suggests, Banton gets a knock and a centre half picks up 5 bookings we're gonna start looking wafer thin. A couple of players covering the gaps are a must......if we're willing to stretch that far???

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
argobenz":pqo7ssog said:
What the hell does Yetton look like :shock:

Great finisher though, another one missed by Argyle.

72 goals during the 2006–07 season
27 league goals in 44 league games in his first season at Weymouth. In May 2014

:lol:

It's a bet with a mate apparently, and the mate's beard is far, far longer.

Neither of them will back down, so this could be fun.

Jun 11, 2012
up_the_line":14uib5nr said:
Errington has called it right in the round up of the Weymouth game when he highlights the sparseness of the squad.
This season represents a huge gamble by Sheridan...Quality over quantity is all well and good but if Cox is as injury prone as recent history suggests, Banton gets a knock and a centre half picks up 5 bookings we're gonna start looking wafer thin. A couple of players covering the gaps are a must......if we're willing to stretch that far???
Sheridan said he's looking at loan signings to fill in the gaps.

Plus you expect either Norburn or another to replace Hourihane soon enough.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":2xw3l33k said:

Whether Errington is right or not it goes down as another dig at Sheridan. Errington has had little pops at Sheridan all pre-season and I think it stems from the issue with Sheridan and his coaches not always giving interviews to Errington over the last few weeks.

Errington has used his articles in the Herald and his own personal Twitter account to highlight he hasn't been able to talk to Sheridan on some occasions.
Danis Salman also had digs at Sheridan in his Herald column last season.

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the season. :)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
or it could be that Errington believes that Sheridan hasn't made all the right calls in the transfer market. He's not the only one.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
I've not seen any digs at Sheridan. And quite frankly he SHOULD be giving interveiws to the local press. I'm sure if Argyle have a good start to the season Errington will praise the team and manager accordingly.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Womble":1of51rsh said:
I've not seen any digs at Sheridan. And quite frankly he SHOULD be giving interveiws to the local press. I'm sure if Argyle have a good start to the season Errington will praise the team and manager accordingly.

It SHOULD be interesting to see what happens between Sheridan and Errington over the course of the season.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I read what GC says but I reckon it must be a tad frustrating for any manager to be expected to take time out from pre-season training and chasing new signatures, when all a local journo wants is to know who exactly is JS chasing as another possible inward transfer. I have no qualms about JS keeping his signature business close to his chest, after all, the media have enjoyed plenty of new faces coming into Argyle so far this past closed season to fill column inches.

As for perceived squad inadequacies, surely there must be a limit to the playing wage budget. I would rather JS held some back to use if required for a final promotion push, or, cover a loanee's wages in the event of an injury. I feel CE will shortly have more than enough to fill the WMNs sports pages, once the League season commences.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
If we dont get promoted this year then I fully expect Sheridan to get the sack anyway,regardless of what or what not Chris Errington might say..

Mar 5, 2012
I thought I would've seen something a bit more substantial on here for those that couldn't attend on Saturday, but since there hasn't been much I thought I would give a synopsis / my thoughts on the game..... so here goes....

Arrived in good time to a good welcome from the staff of a lovely friendly club, bought a programme/team sheet for 50p - bonus!

Looked at the team sheet and was thankful it didn't look like blackpool's ! Though I have to say that I was a little concerned that we were a little 'weak'

I did however, tell myself that this was just a pre-season friendly and it was all about finding things out and forging relationships and team spirit! ...... though that was soon dispelled when their best player put them ahead so soon into the game...... with pretty much their first shot.... i t was made worse because I could see it coming before it nestled into the corner of the net about five feet in front of me. Having then equalised from the spot the spot through Thomas after his hard work...... they went in front again through yet ton in the same corner. At this point, half time couldn't come quickly enough. They were not only beating us, they were also playing the better football.when half-time arrived, there was a lot of warming up on display.... with Hartley already with his shirt on and ready to go...... things were looking up.....wholesale changes took place with seven new faces coming on, giving the side a more experienced and balanced look. After lots of good build-up and pressure we finally got the equalizer from a ball that had more spin than alaistair Campbell..... with the ball squirming thru their keepers legs and marginally over the line..... from a tame mellor effort. Banton probably had the miss of the season from five yards when he had an eternity to decide what to do before blasting it over the bar.

Observations;

Bitter - distribution accuracy good but takes an age to decide what option to take, needs to be more decisive..... would say I would've preferred Jake as the understudy after he was beaten twice without even getting a hand on it.
Nelson - as assured as ever, looked composed throughout, like he hadn't even had a break.
McHugh - jury still out on this one, first touch let's him down, always seemed to be rescuing his errors... though he did well to recover most of the time...... think he will definately be on the bench more than starting!
Harvey - still not convinced he is a midfielder, got caught out too often, lots of effort though.
Allen - out of his depth .... even against weymouth
Capriotti - he can't have been happy with his performance, unconvincing, had one chance and fluffed it, squad player at best .... for weymouth
Thomas - live wire, constantly troubling them, if he continues like this, he will be great for us next season.
Morgan - looked like the argyle 'fred' just slightly more mobile, reminded me of Dave Regis ...... all legs, no ability, no balance, I would play Tyler up front ahead of him. He was getting proper frustrated that the two centre halves didn't give him anything.
Purrington - I didn't think this was his best game in a yellow shirt, but looked comfortable enough.

McCormick- safe as houses, good to see him back between the sticks.
Mellor - looked like he likes to get forward, not really troubled by anything, want to see more of him.
Hartley - Wow! For me this fella will be awesome for us and next to Nelson will give us a rock for a wall at the back. Determined, strong, talkative, exactly what we need, he also didn't shy from bringing the ball forward....... long sleeved shirt?! Strange in that heat!!
Allesandra - same as last season, lively, wanted the ball, constantly on the move, strong in the tackle.
Reid - straight at them as soon as he came on.... made Morgan look stupid within five mins. Should've scored, but always looked dangerous.
Ban ton - as expected .... troubled them each time he got the ball, probably too many step overs, but if it yields something, what the hell. Still can't believe he blasted it over from five yards.
Smalley - played pretty much wide right, but looked threatening when he had the ball and always wanted it. Looks like he could score for us and be a good foil/stand-in for Reid.

If I didn't cover anyoneten they can't have contributed much.

Two concerns at this stage for me is ;
1 we had lots of possession and control in the second half, but after twenty passes we seemed to get bored and send a meaningless cross into the box, wasting all the effort we had put in.
2 there seemed to be lots of interchange with positional play, allessandra and ban ton primarily switching, but there were many passes threaded through to no-one as they had spent too much time swapping ..... resulting in loss of possession. I hope we can organise this better in training going forward so that we know who is where and when.

MOM for me ..... even though he only had a half was - Hartley ...... for his solidity and the confidence he brought to the side. Though a special mention for Thomas .... who gets better each time I see him.

Whilst I wasn't too happy with the result, I appreciate what we were trying to achieve, I just hope there is progress going thru the friendlies with regards to performance and shape.

Right I'm going to shut up now as I've said way too much....... Night!

C

Cobi Budge.

Thanks for the good report.

I would prefer Jake as understudy also but I don't think it's sensible to have a high earner as a no2.