As a visiting Swansea fan... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

As a visiting Swansea fan...

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We'll never agree Mr Skin.

However, I'm certainly jealous of what Swansea have done.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Greenskin":2id0w1sa said:
Paul_Roberts":2id0w1sa said:
As per usual in a Pasoti debate, the truth can be found somewhere in between the two sides.

Gates dwindled, we didn't sign Scott Sinclair, we lied to a top manager about investment, we brought in a manager who played dour football... basically the opposite of what happened at Swansea.

You can't blame any single element, it was the whole sorry shebang.

But then why did gates dwindle? Surely it must have been because Swansea maintained their momentum rather than enduring two relegation battles in their first two seasons? They finished 8th,7th and 7th in their first three seasons,whereas we finished 17th,14th and 11th-beats me how anyone can't see the correlation between results on the pitch and subsequent attendances.And Swanseas gates weren't that much better in those seasons anyway-they averaged 15400 in their promotion season,which was actually worse than our first season in the CCC by 1000 per match when Argyle were battling relegation.Their gates were nowhere near as good as Argyle's when they were similarly struggling in the bottom tier either,which would suggest that any implication that Swansea supporters are somehow intrinsically more loyal or better than Plymouth supporters is way wide of the mark.

Plus the fact Swansea FC has huge competition from rugby for spectators, at a level that Albion can only dream of.
The Board of Swansea FC deserve a lot of credit. They were shrewd in the appointment of Martinez and Laudrup, but quite how they fell out with the latter, I do not know. There new man managed to keep them in the Premiership at the end of last season. Next season, I have a gut feeling he will find the going harder.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
If that post was a genuine Swansea fan then I will agree that Sheridan is a great manager. "Clock" - FFS. Quick scan of past posts will reveal which of our bretheren this is in disguise (and a poor one at that).

Jul 6, 2011
IJN":r3s65awq said:
Greenskin":r3s65awq said:
Paven":r3s65awq said:
A city of 270,000 attracting 6/7000 or so each home game.. Not very big to me.

Lowly and relatively small clubs.. Big clubs tend to have played top flight football.

We have a big stadium for this league but that's really where it ends.

In 2007 Argyle were in a stronger position than Swansea in every conceivable aspect and should have pushed on to become at least as successful as they are now.Our gates were bigger [belying the apathetic janner bollocks so often trotted out as an excuse for the inadequacies of those at the top of the club],the team was better and Home Park was certainly better than the Vetch even in it's underdeveloped state.It's to Swansea's great credit that they reached a certain stage and decided to push on beyond that level,both in terms of ground and team development.It's to the eternal discredit of the spineless,limp wristed and downright greedy Argyle [and indeed Plymouth] "leadership" that the gap between the clubs is now so wide in every conceivable respect.Utterly tragic.

Don't agree and never will.

The tragic demise was caused by the fact the 'leaders' noted, quite understandably the populace of Plymouth couldn't give a fishes mam about football.

Our great team wasn't that well supported after the initial spark of interest.

When the Janners go fed up with watching the likes of Derby, Coventry and Nott Forest, they stayed way in their 1000's.

You can say what you want Mr Skin, time and time again, it doesn't make it correct.

and the rebellious days when the 'fans voted with their feet' :roll: , that along with the useless leadership put us right in the hock.

P

pafcstafford

odiumruse":3qebvh0q said:
rose":3qebvh0q said:
vibratingspider":3qebvh0q said:
"Small club"?... SMALL CLUB!!!!???
You're as big as the league you play in.

Don't be ridiculous does that mean Rochdale are a bigger club than pompey or wigan bigger than wolves? Or how about palace bigger than leeds? It's never on what league your in. Infact if anything our crowds have grown if you compare it to the 3-4 we got in the 90's in this league.

Eventually your Swansea Southampton Stoke Cardiff blackpool wigan and alike will all at somepoint or another drop down to league's 1-2 again. It's just what happens just like we will push on up again.

P

pafcstafford

briangreen":1fx8gyv2 said:
IJN":1fx8gyv2 said:
Greenskin":1fx8gyv2 said:
Paven":1fx8gyv2 said:
A city of 270,000 attracting 6/7000 or so each home game.. Not very big to me.

Lowly and relatively small clubs.. Big clubs tend to have played top flight football.

We have a big stadium for this league but that's really where it ends.

In 2007 Argyle were in a stronger position than Swansea in every conceivable aspect and should have pushed on to become at least as successful as they are now.Our gates were bigger [belying the apathetic janner bollocks so often trotted out as an excuse for the inadequacies of those at the top of the club],the team was better and Home Park was certainly better than the Vetch even in it's underdeveloped state.It's to Swansea's great credit that they reached a certain stage and decided to push on beyond that level,both in terms of ground and team development.It's to the eternal discredit of the spineless,limp wristed and downright greedy Argyle [and indeed Plymouth] "leadership" that the gap between the clubs is now so wide in every conceivable respect.Utterly tragic.

Don't agree and never will.

The tragic demise was caused by the fact the 'leaders' noted, quite understandably the populace of Plymouth couldn't give a fishes mam about football.

Our great team wasn't that well supported after the initial spark of interest.

When the Janners go fed up with watching the likes of Derby, Coventry and Nott Forest, they stayed way in their 1000's.

You can say what you want Mr Skin, time and time again, it doesn't make it correct.

and the rebellious days when the 'fans voted with their feet' :roll: , that along with the useless leadership put us right in the hock.

I don't think in the main people went for the opposition it's about winning argyle is the sort of club who will pull the crowds when their winning like all the other 92 league clubs.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Good results appearing in the Sunsay paper will draw some regular custom, but if playing the dour football of Poolis, it won't make folk come back for long.
The EPL football business model is a joke, since early 90's. Every game just about, priced as if an epic of international galacticos. The chamionship slips in beneath, just a tennner or so cheaper.
If the only region which can see that it has to change is the southwest, by not having lines of folk wishing to pay 40 or so quid a time to watch pretty average sport, who will stay away until it sorts itself out, that ain't necessarily a negative.
And Swansea will wake up from the novelty soon enough, once the EPL ecosystem wounds them sufficiently.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
TBH i wouldn't worry too much, whilst Swansea have done well the only way is down for them ! I cant see them doing much this season and if they do get a good player the bigger teams will take them much have they have done at Southampton.
Ok they will get Parachute payments and I doubt they will end up in league 2 again but If Argyle can go up and they slip then its only 1 division
Look at Hull,Swansea,Southampton, Burnley,WBA etc all waiting for the relegation trap door to open much like Norwich last year

Must be crap being a Villa fan never experiencing promotion and never really being involved in a relegation battle. I would hate to be just pushing for 7th place Europa spot that nobody is even interested in.
Championship level would do me as an Argyle fan pushing for the play offs every year

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
edengreen":3jw2fzqp said:
TBH i wouldn't worry too much, whilst Swansea have done well the only way is down for them ! I cant see them doing much this season and if they do get a good player the bigger teams will take them much have they have done at Southampton.
Ok they will get Parachute payments and I doubt they will end up in league 2 again but If Argyle can go up and they slip then its only 1 division
Look at Hull,Swansea,Southampton, Burnley,WBA etc all waiting for the relegation trap door to open much like Norwich last year

Must be crap being a Villa fan never experiencing promotion and never really being involved in a relegation battle. I would hate to be just pushing for 7th place Europa spot that nobody is even interested in.Championship level would do me as an Argyle fan pushing for the play offs every year

Yes all the older fans of my vintage have got so few good memories, bet winning the European Cup was a total nightmare for them! and as for Argyle qualifying for the Europa Cup and playing ties abroad!? we'd ALL hate that! :lol:

G

Greenskin

Gary_Wills":1os3sw9k said:
Good results appearing in the Sunsay paper will draw some regular custom, but if playing the dour football of Poolis, it won't make folk come back for long.The EPL football business model is a joke, since early 90's. Every game just about, priced as if an epic of international galacticos. The chamionship slips in beneath, just a tennner or so cheaper.
If the only region which can see that it has to change is the southwest, by not having lines of folk wishing to pay 40 or so quid a time to watch pretty average sport, who will stay away until it sorts itself out, that ain't necessarily a negative.
And Swansea will wake up from the novelty soon enough, once the EPL ecosystem wounds them sufficiently.

Sorry Gary,that just isn't true.Stoke's gates increased from about the same level as Argyle's [about 13-14000] when Pulis took over the second time to regular 27000 sell outs by the time he finished,in spite of any reservations about the style of football.I realise that you're a purist and good on you for that but the unfortunate truth is that people are very fickle [in Stoke as well as Plymouth by the look of those figures above] and will follow a winning team no matter what.Sad but true.

G

Greenskin

Pogleswoody":2b2ba3v5 said:
edengreen":2b2ba3v5 said:

Must be crap being a Villa fan never experiencing promotion and never really being involved in a relegation battle. I would hate to be just pushing for 7th place Europa spot that nobody is even interested in.Championship level would do me as an Argyle fan pushing for the play offs every year

Yes all the older fans of my vintage have got so few good memories, bet winning the European Cup was a total nightmare for them! and as for Argyle qualifying for the Europa Cup and playing ties abroad!? we'd ALL hate that! :lol:

:lol: Very tempting to go on a Villa forum and ask if they would like to swap places with us,both from a historical perspective and a current one. "Hey you Villains,bet you'd really love to finish 21st,21st and 10th in the fourth division in succcessive seasons,eh?" :lol: Sorry,just can't get my head around the reasoning behind edengreens post but i suppose it takes all sorts to make a world.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Stoke's David-Goliath novelty did come to an end, mind you.
Fickle merely means not understanding another's logic, doesn't it.
My point is it's the two hours entertainment which most of us seek. The result of a game is much like a film or book ending, could be happy could be sad could be inconclusive, but if the two hours has visible energy commitment and an element of the unexpected that is what pleases, the end happy or sad is merely a statistic, less than one percent of what the 100 or so minutes was.
Can you leave early, yes, because you've seen 90+ percent of the two hours entertainment.
Can you not complete a book or film, yes, if you've consumed most of it you've enjoyed most of its journey of entertainment. Or rejected it for something more fitting.
Managers and players get paid more for good results, their supposedly objective measure of success in that business.
Why fans need focus only on results though, really baffles me. But I wouldn't belittle others for thinking so.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
All I meant is that they have no hope of winning anything just as much as Argyle do !

If league positions were on gates,history then we would be Championship every year its about football on the pitch and what I am saying watching Villa middle to bottom of the league every year must take some doing with little hope of doing better.

Argyle are crap at the moment but we at least have the hope that we can get back there. Id put my house on the fact that Aston Villa will never be European champions again but I reckon Argyle could make it back to the championship one day

Obviously the premier league is the only place to be for quality of football but I would suggest for excitement Aston villa, Stoke, WBA etc must be some of the dullest places to watch that quality football

Jul 29, 2014
Another thing I liked was that there was no segregation between both sets of fans. Yes, I was called a sheep you know what once, but nevertheless great.

We would like to see you in a higher league soon. Keep up the good footy. And we beat your exeter rivals 2-0.