Banton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
keeno79":3tx4fl1i said:
sorry but the op is talking absolute utter gash. he skinned the full back 2 or 3 times. played it simple. on one occasion cuting a great ball back to edge of the box and another playing it through to smalley. he tracked back when he did lose it and was unclucky to slip when he came on.

utter crap being spouted.
Amen.

Banton is 'not a team player'. Apart from the time he played Kellett in- and the time he played Smalley in. And the time in stoppage time where he was involved in a good team passing move. That post wouldn't have been posted if it was any other player who came on and put in the performance that he put in today.

If Smalley had actually been a team player then Banton would most probably have got the goal that would have got his confidence back up again. How a thread can be started slating the player who laid the ball off as being selfish but not the one who went on his own when Banton was in acres as selfish is truly beyond me. I hope Smalley got bollocked at full time.

The way Banton played today actually was something that gave me more confidence that an improved version of the old Banton might be back, not less.

Jul 6, 2011
Have to say that this type of thread leads me to despair of some so-called argyle fans, some folk just seem to take great relish in slapping down people like Banton. I thought he did well in the short time he had on the pitch and probably would have scored if Smalley had passed the ball to him, but he didn't, so c'est la vie as they say.
I want personally to see Banton given time ahead of players like Morgan and Smalley, he is simply better, more unpredictable and a lot more talented. All that's missing is opportunity, chances to score and gain vital confidence.

Jul 23, 2008
St.Austell
Thought he did alright when he came on. Created a couple of chances on the ball and noticed a couple of times that he managed to find huge areas of space to receive the ball into if someone else had found him.

Apr 4, 2004
I thought he did well when he came on. Shame he didn't get the ball when he got himself free in a good position. But he did his bit giving an option. He was bright and dangerous looking on the ball. Don't see how anyone can knock him on today's performance. As someone reminded me today he is still a very young player.

Melbourne Mark

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
A 3-0 home win and this gets posted!

Enjoy the current run of form and lets hope Banton becomes an integral part of our promotion push if/when the loanees depart.

This thread sums up the attitude of a section of Argyle fans for me. The old saying goes 'once a green, always a green', but for me the adverse is also true for many - 'once a poor performer, always a poor performer.' Thankfully the OP is clearly in a minority, but as others have eluded to, what else could Banton have contributed once he came on?

People need to accept that Banton is an inconsistent player - occasionally poor, but occasionally capable of feats no other player in this side is capable of. Too many times over the past few seasons we've seen players like this, eg. Noone, Bolasie, and even to a certain extent Hourihane, sold on for a relative pittance only for them to find form and bang in the goals elsewhere.

To exemplify things - today one of the Cheltenham defenders took a poor touch - Banton bust a gut to put the guy under pressure and put a tackle in. Had Smalley shown the same sharpness to the second ball he could have set up another chance for Argyle. As it happened, he didn't, and Cheltenham cleared the ball away. Following this, someone behind me felt it appropriate to comment that Banton was 'F***ing useless', to which me and many others didn't react well. Embarrassing frankly.

Jason is clearly frustrated at the positive moves the side have made since his exclusion - but surely any one of us would be as well. We would all want to be part of a winning side and be demonstrating a clear contribution to that side.

Admittedly Jason hasn't been in good form this season, but I personally find comments on his effort and work-rate well wide of the mark. As others have said, this is the side of his game that I've seen Jason come on heaps and bounds since his initial spell. When he had his purple patch at the end of last season, I thought Banton in particular had shown massive improvements in his willingness to track back and get tackles in. With his build he's never going to be particularly solid in the tackle but he's clearly putting serious effort in to improve this side of his game.

For me, people need to get off the guy's back and drop this idea that he has this attitude of wanting to do it all himself and be the star of the team. He's much more willing now to put the dirty work in and do his part for the collective cause.

In comparison Smalley, who other than the Stevenage match in which I thought he was tremendous in the air and instrumental in us gaining a point from the game, has been poor at best and has demonstrated a real lack of effort in some of the games he's played in, Shrewsbury in particular - although admittedly I didn't attend the Swindon match in which I've heard he was very good. And yet certain posters on here still seem to believe that he's worthy of a starting place in the team. Baffling really.

I say keep up the work Jason and the goals will come soon enough. He's a good player for this league - inconsistent, but brilliant on his day - and I believe very soon we will all see this to be the case.

C

Cobi Budge.

Smalley has been unfairly slated since he arrived.

Smalley made a mistake yesterday but I'm still in the minority who think he's a decent player & a good option, he's a good passer, has plenty of strength and is actually quite intelligent on the ball, needs to be more aware of who's around him mind you.

Rather have him in our squad than not have him.

Nov 4, 2012
Cobi Budge.":3cgilrz6 said:

Smalley made a mistake yesterday but I'm still in the minority who think he's a decent player & a good option, he's a good passer, has plenty of strength and is actually quite intelligent on the ball, needs to be more aware of who's around him mind you.

I also think Smalley is a decent option to have on the bench.

What I like most is the amount of headers he wins, very rarely have I seen him beaten in the air even by CB's who have a good few inches on him. Leaps like a salmon.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":2t01apww said:

Smalley made a mistake yesterday but I'm still in the minority who think he's a decent player & a good option, he's a good passer, has plenty of strength and is actually quite intelligent on the ball, needs to be more aware of who's around him mind you. :funny:

Surely even you can see what a contradiction that is. As usual you make up your mind about a player after 20 minutes and then refuse to change your mind when so obviously wrong. I think we need to get rid of him.

C

Cobi Budge.

If you say so, but that's your opinion, not fact.

Just giving my opinion on a player.

Smalley is a useful squad player & certainly gives us something from the bench.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":34rurtsu said:
If you say so, but that's your opinion, not fact.

Just giving my opinion on a player.

Smalley is a useful squad player & certainly gives us something from the bench.

And what is that?
An 'intelligent player on the ball who needs to be more aware of what's around him' makes complete nonsense even by your standards!

C

Cobi Budge.

Yes it does. Keeps it close and moves in to space therefore holds possession, uses his strength to shield the ball, needs to look up more though and pick the right passes (e.g. to Banton yesterday)

I don't see the need for the little personal digs but there you go.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":dsu1wt3o said:
Yes it does. Keeps it close and moves in to space therefore holds possession, uses his strength to shield the ball, needs to look up more though and pick the right passes (e.g. to Banton yesterday)

Apologies. Just sometimes I think you are very wide of the mark.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Balham_Green":doae9eq4 said:
Cobi Budge.":doae9eq4 said:

Apologies. Just sometimes I think you are very wide of the mark.

I think I agree with Cobi on this one, from what I've seen him, Smalley has certainly grown on me since his pretty poor debut at Cambridge.

He's by no means our best player, he's your bulk standard L2 forward for me. The sort of squad player that although I wouldn't be overly gutted to see leave, he certainly offers us another option up front and is more than capable of doing a job when called upon. He's certainly shown that he's a useful player to have come on to close out a game, chases down the ball, puts defenders under pressure and has enough about him pace wise to be an asset in a counter attack. I would say that he is by no means a "get rid of quick" sort of forward we seem to attract, simply a good squad player to have around the team.