Banton | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton

Jun 11, 2013
The OP is one if the more ludicrous I've seen on here but sadly indicative of a section of the support. Banton actually played well when he came on but there were still plenty around me aching to slag him off at the first opportunity. People seem to forget that this lad basically kept us up on his own. Now, it would be crazy to suggest he has had the same impact as his first spell or that his attitude is exemplary but he HAS to be a player we can make use of somehow. The fact that he hasn't been as good this season should be a reason to get behind him and encourage him back to the heights he once reached for us, not used as an opportunity to run him down. I think Smalley is actually ok as well but the fact he gets next to no criticism whilst Banton is slagged off by all and sundry is really quite odd.

P

pafcstafford

Cobi Budge.":1v6s40ig said:
If you say so, but that's your opinion, not fact.

Just giving my opinion on a player.

Smalley is a useful squad player & certainly gives us something from the bench.

I slightly disagree I think he is a little better than just a squad player. Given a good pre-season next year I think he could be the man to really challenge Reid for his starting spot.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
pafcstafford":3q9safs6 said:
Cobi Budge.":3q9safs6 said:
If you say so, but that's your opinion, not fact.

Just giving my opinion on a player.

Smalley is a useful squad player & certainly gives us something from the bench.

I slightly disagree I think he is a little better than just a squad player. Given a good pre-season next year I think he could be the man to really challenge Reid for his starting spot.

I can't see that happening although I agree that stranger things have happened.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Smalley played very well against Swindon and his link up play with Alessandra was arguably better than that of the Reid/Alessandra combo (and thats in just one game). He let himself down by taking the wrong option on Saturday, but I suspect he was looking to make a mark for himself - and in some ways that is what you want to see in a striker.

As for Banton, he so desperately needed that square ball. He is still a quality player at this level - of that I have no doubt, but he needs a goal or two to convince the fans (and himself) that he is contributing. Fundamentally, we have too many options for the role that suits him best.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Frank_Butcher":3dlmh4xq said:
Fundamentally, we have too many options for the role that suits him best.

...and the manager sees him best deployed in a role that he clearly doesn't suit him best and plays a formation where that role doesn't even exist!!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
If/when Bobby Reid goes back to Bristol City I'd like to see Banton play his role in the team - between the midfield and the strikers. It's a free role so it should suit Banton if Sheridan sticks with the 3-5-2 (or 3-4-1-2) formation.

If we are to have a successful season we will need contributions from the fringe players like Banton, Smalley, Thomas and Harvey.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":2alqnw07 said:
If/when Bobby Reid goes back to Bristol City I'd like to see Banton play his role in the team - between the midfield and the strikers. It's a free role so it should suit Banton if Sheridan sticks with the 3-5-2 (or 3-4-1-2) formation.

If we are to have a successful season we will need contributions from the fringe players like Banton, Smalley, Thomas and Harvey.

I agree, "in the hole" seems to be Banton's best position. I've seen him perform well there many times, it's only really when he's been pushed out wide that he's struggled, certainly after coming back permanently. He doesn't seem to have that confidence to cut inside as well as he did in his first spell. Maybe a go in the middle of the park will give him that boost in confidence that should hopefully improve his performance both from the wing and through the middle.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
droly":3h9y195q said:
The OP is one if the more ludicrous I've seen on here but sadly indicative of a section of the support. Banton actually played well when he came on but there were still plenty around me aching to slag him off at the first opportunity. People seem to forget that this lad basically kept us up on his own. Now, it would be crazy to suggest he has had the same impact as his first spell or that his attitude is exemplary but he HAS to be a player we can make use of somehow. The fact that he hasn't been as good this season should be a reason to get behind him and encourage him back to the heights he once reached for us, not used as an opportunity to run him down. I think Smalley is actually ok as well but the fact he gets next to no criticism whilst Banton is slagged off by all and sundry is really quite odd.

I agree with every word of this.

K

kenfurphysbigapple

Can't be bothered to read all the replies but the guy was on the pitch for 10 mins max and did well. Grow up! This isn't the premier league!!

This site is becoming as dull as sky sports HQ.

Sometimes its OK to say nothing if you have nothing to say

C

Cobi Budge.

Whilst I agree it's silly to make a fuss over a 10 minute cameo (during which he wasn't that bad) the bigger picture can't be ignored, since Banton returned to the club, he just hasn't been good enough & he hasn't worked hard enough. I hope it changes.

Sep 23, 2005
I'd rather leave the judgement of his work rate to the manager CB. I was hoping we would see him put on a show at Exmouth on Tuesday and although difficult to judge on such a poor playing surface he did look way out of touch but at least got in 90 minutes.
Still hoping his form and confidence will return but being given a hard time by sections of the support isn't going to help in that regard.

Aug 15, 2008
IF Bobby Reid has to go back to BCFC then Banton is tailor made to take up that role. I do think he could do it and I do not agree with Sheridan that he is a left sided midfielder.

Play him through the middle and he will cause havoc for the opposition.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Verte":ci8jplba said:
IF Bobby Reid has to go back to BCFC then Banton is tailor made to take up that role. I do think he could do it and I do not agree with Sheridan that he is a left sided midfielder.

Agree in principle but he loses possession too much for that role. So it is difficult to see a manager (esp one who is a little conservative perhaps) picking him anywhere except wide left. If B Reid goes back then I think Norburn gets that berth.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Green Rhino":3vyc0ly2 said:
Verte":3vyc0ly2 said:

Agree in principle but he loses possession too much for that role. So it is difficult to see a manager (esp one who is a little conservative perhaps) picking him anywhere except wide left. If B Reid goes back then I think Norburn gets that berth.

Problem is we are defensively minded enough as it is even with the attacking-minded Bobby Reid in the middle, Norbun has the technical qualities to do the job there but like Hourihane when he first arrived, Norburn is very negative. It might be a confidence thing and of course the only way he will get that confidence is if we give him game time to prove himself but I do think Banton although highly unreliable out-wide, could be a real threat through the middle.

I think half his problem is being trapped out-wide and being so desperate to get into the middle with the ball that he takes risks and loses possession, when he's been given the chance in the middle he has proven to be an asset. The end of last season being a prime example of that, probably his best performances in competitive matches since coming back were at the end of last season where he was played in the middle, with options around him and freedom to do his thing.

C

Cobi Budge.

Banton cheaply loses possession far too often to be played at CAM. Sheridan see's him in training & has ruled out playing him at CAM.

During his first spell, Banton played most of his games on the left, and scored goals from the left, I don't recall many complaints at the time.

Quite simply, he just hasn't been good enough anywhere & apart from 1 good goal, he's done nothing to convince me in the last 9 months that he is worthy of a starting spot.