Banton | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Banton

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
Ollieargyle9":2q18ievf said:
Green Rhino":2q18ievf said:
Verte":2q18ievf said:
IF Bobby Reid has to go back to BCFC then Banton is tailor made to take up that role. I do think he could do it and I do not agree with Sheridan that he is a left sided midfielder.

Play him through the middle and he will cause havoc for the opposition.

Agree in principle but he loses possession too much for that role. So it is difficult to see a manager (esp one who is a little conservative perhaps) picking him anywhere except wide left. If B Reid goes back then I think Norburn gets that berth.

Problem is we are defensively minded enough as it is even with the attacking-minded Bobby Reid in the middle, Norbun has the technical qualities to do the job there but like Hourihane when he first arrived, Norburn is very negative. It might be a confidence thing and of course the only way he will get that confidence is if we give him game time to prove himself but I do think Banton although highly unreliable out-wide, could be a real threat through the middle.

I think half his problem is being trapped out-wide and being so desperate to get into the middle with the ball that he takes risks and loses possession, when he's been given the chance in the middle he has proven to be an asset. The end of last season being a prime example of that, probably his best performances in competitive matches since coming back were at the end of last season where he was played in the middle, with options around him and freedom to do his thing.

Difference between Banton and Reid is that Reid isn't afraid of getting stuck in when he needs to. Banton winces out of physical contact too often.

Jun 11, 2012
Cobi Budge.":2d4k0u2b said:
Banton cheaply loses possession far too often to be played at CAM.
Does he? Even if he did, there or up-front are the positions you'd play a player like that, where the odd mistake is made up for by a moment of brilliance.

Cobi Budge.":2d4k0u2b said:
During his first spell, Banton played most of his games on the left, and scored goals from the left, I don't recall many complaints at the time.
Did he? I seem to remember him mainly playing off Reuben, with Bryan on the left.

Jun 11, 2012
Ollieargyle9":3362hv3f said:
Norburn has the technical qualities to do the job there but like Hourihane when he first arrived, Norburn is very negative. It might be a confidence thing and of course the only way he will get that confidence is if we give him game time to prove himself
He's not negative. People SO often mistake playing sensibly and keeping possession as being negative. Michael Carrick even bloody gets it. :facepalm:

I can tell you for certain that Norburn's not lacking in confidence. :shocked:

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Dont urinate on Cobi's next witch-hunt.

The magic dice has indicated Banton is next for a verbal onslaught, you raising perfectly reasonable facts and opinions is not what's needed.

We need indications that his lifestyle/attitude/body language - is not becoming of a Plymouth Argyle player, should the aforementioned come on as a sub tomorrow, beat two players and score the winner - we shall then revert to the next player until the entire squad has been deemed "not suitable"

C

Cobi Budge.

I don't see how raising concerns about an underperforming player is a witch hunt but there you go.

I don't dislike the bloke and I know he has ability but he hasn't been good enough since returning and that was around 9 months ago, that's more of a fact that a 'witch hunt'.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Banton is a strange one.

For me he was one of our stand out players in pre-season, he looked skillful, confident and dangerous but whilst he's still skillful and dangerous for some reason is confidence since pre-season seems to of completely evaporated.

Maybe had Smalley done the right thing and squared it to him last week in front of an open goal for him he would of had his confidence back, however had Banton been in Smalley's position there would probably be a 10 page thread demanding him to be sold in January and not ever make the starting 11 again.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Thats the point with Cobi and numerous others - its not a level playing field. Banton gets 10 minutes at the end of a game bemoaning his lack of impact. Thomas has 10 minutes, gets booked, crosses twice into the crowd and its deemed a disgrace that he's not starting the next game. Whether its body language or something more sinister i wouldn't like to say, but some players seem to be given more slack than others.

Lets be fair to Banton, he's had a couple of injuries in the last 6-8 weeks and had very little first team football. Who knows, it may turn out to be a huge blessing in disguise, just as the games come thick and fast around Christmas, Banton could be fresh as a daisy and turn out to be huge for us. By why wait to see how things pan out, lets kick him whilst he's down!!