Barring an 8 goal spread | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barring an 8 goal spread

Sep 23, 2005
philevs":1yvimo8p said:
greenarmyman116":1yvimo8p said:
Would have to be an epic fail next weekend to not make the play offs but this is Argyle

Yes. Glad to see JS is taking nothing for granted, since 4-0 to Luton v Stevenage and 4-0 to Shrewsbury v us would see us out.
With Stevenage secure of 6th spot and unable to be knocked off it, 4-0 to Luton has to be at least a possibility, and with Shrewsbury going for the league title they are not going to be easing up.
So at least a draw is what we seriously need to be aiming at on Saturday.
Yep just studied the league table and the Argyle paranoia kicked in as I came to the same conclusions about the Shrewsbury and Stevenage attitudes to next week's matches.

Never take anything for granted.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I cannot see Westley allowing or the Stevenage players giving anything less than 100% next week any more than if it was Exeter at Home Park. Local pride will be at stake with Stevenage wanting to put one over their "bigger and more illustrious" neighbours just 17 miles down the road and making sure there is no risk of them facing them in the play offs.
Luton haven't managed a 4 goal win all season nor Stevenage a 4 goal loss.
Argyle haven't conceded 4 all season and only once 3 when they also scored 2 themselves. Shrewsbury however have 3 times scored 4 or more without reply. So all in all the odds are pretty astronomical on us missing out now.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
8 goal swing not infeasible.
Shrewsbury looking for title, highest scorers lowest conceded.
Stevenage can't change positions so will be resting easy with playoffs coming.
Stranger things have most definitely happened

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
clokey84":3003sgsk said:
Just posted exactly the same on other thread, how great minds think alike!

By that logic idiots think alike also.

Are you seriously expecting an 8 goal swing so you're not allowing yourselves to relax and chill out?

Jul 25, 2006
Leighton Buzzard
But Plymouth's win over Tranmere means only an Albion loss with an 18-goal swing on the final day of the season would see Newport reach the play-offs. - BBC forgets our name again! Taken from York v Newport report on line. And after my support for them on another thread !

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
philevs":3jg678n8 said:
greenarmyman116":3jg678n8 said:
Would have to be an epic fail next weekend to not make the play offs but this is Argyle

Yes. Glad to see JS is taking nothing for granted, since 4-0 to Luton v Stevenage and 4-0 to Shrewsbury v us would see us out.
With Stevenage secure of 6th spot and unable to be knocked off it, 4-0 to Luton has to be at least a possibility, and with Shrewsbury going for the league title they are not going to be easing up.

Shrewsbury only need a win and hope Burton don't win at Cambridge. I can't see them going gung ho to get as many goals as possible as their goal difference is 9 better than Burton now. If they get 2-0 up say it could be a sterile kick about after that as it would suit both teams.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Chris Dennis":32nmoiqb said:
philevs":32nmoiqb said:
greenarmyman116":32nmoiqb said:

Shrewsbury only need a win and hope Burton don't win at Cambridge. I can't see them going gung ho to get as many goals as possible as their goal difference is 9 better than Burton now. If they get 2-0 up say it could be a sterile kick about after that as it would suit both teams.

In 77 we (Palace) had finished our games and had to sweat on the last round of matches. Yes younger readers, there was a time when the last games of the season were not played at the same time. We were in a promotion spot but a win for Wrexham would see them take it from us. Rotherham could theoretically catch us but our GD was six ahead of theirs. A reserve game was taking place at Selhurst Park but everyone there had more than one ear to radios and listening to events at The Racecourse and Wrexham being a goal down...... and then at half time news came through that Rotherham were 4 up when most had written the Millers off.

The moral here is, never discount ANYTHING in football.

PS Wrexham lost and Rotherham won 4-1..... not that many will be bothered about that :greensmile:

Nov 28, 2014
Although I am 100% confident that we will be fine on Saturday and am not trying to spook anyone, I was present at one of the weirder turnover targets as the following story explains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borussia_M ... a_Dortmund

As a serviceman in Germany in the mid seventies I used to watch BM (they did play in green and white) and recall going to this game in Dusseldorf. Strangest match ever and as explained even though they won 12-0 they did not win the title.

I would accept two turgid draws, on Saturday, along the lines of this afternoon's thriller in North London.

Bring on Wigan and Millwall and a trip to Blackpool - lovely.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":fou2gu1g said:
Chris Dennis":fou2gu1g said:
philevs":fou2gu1g said:
greenarmyman116":fou2gu1g said:

In 77 we (Palace) had finished our games and had to sweat on the last round of matches. Yes younger readers, there was a time when the last games of the season were not played at the same time. We were in a promotion spot but a win for Wrexham would see them take it from us. Rotherham could theoretically catch us but our GD was six ahead of theirs. A reserve game was taking place at Selhurst Park but everyone there had more than one ear to radios and listening to events at The Racecourse and Wrexham being a goal down...... and then at half time news came through that Rotherham were 4 up when most had written the Millers off.

The moral here is, never discount ANYTHING in football.

PS Wrexham lost and Rotherham won 4-1..... not that many will be bothered about that :greensmile:

So if that is the only example then we're okay. Anything can happen but invariably doesn't.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Most comforting fact is that Stevanage will take great pleasure in denying their local rivals Luton (The Outlaws) a play off place, apparently taking 1000 plus fans. So fielding a seriously weakened team and a 4 nil plus capitulation seems very unlikely.,..

C

Cobi Budge.

I think we all need to calm down a touch.

We are very nearly there (in terms of having a play off spot) but an 8 goal swing isn't impossible, it's improbable but there's obviously a possibility, it's not like the Bournemouth-Middlesbrough clash where a 20+ goal swing is involved. Shrewsbury have had an excellent home record this season and they will be doing all they can to win the title next week in the hope Burton slip up on the last day at Cambridge. The other game involved is Luton-Stevenage, Westley's side have a play off spot secure and it wouldn't surprise me to see them field a weak team.

Is it inconceivable that Luton win 4 0 and we lose 4 0? I know it's unlikely, but I just think some of the celebrations are a touch premature.

We need to go to Shrewsbury, be professional and make sure we pick up a point (or more), that way it's in our own hands.