Barring an 8 goal spread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barring an 8 goal spread

Dec 3, 2005
Yes Cobi you are right, the 8 goal difference is not impossible, one game of madness from our defense and who knows.

We are at the 26 mile marker in a marathon and we are just ahead of the guy chasing us, all we have to do is keep calm, keep running and not trip over. We can feel the play-offs in our finger tips, now we must grab it and not let it slip away.

8 goals sounds alot, but football is a funny old game, and nothing is certain (see Bradford away to Chelsea), sure we have the advantage and the ball is in our court, we must be very proffesional and the players must earn the right to be in the play-offs.

May 1, 2011
Cobi Budge.":3u25e313 said:
I think we all need to calm down a touch.

We are very nearly there (in terms of having a play off spot) but an 8 goal swing isn't impossible, it's improbable but there's obviously a possibility, it's not like the Bournemouth-Middlesbrough clash where a 20+ goal swing is involved. Shrewsbury have had an excellent home record this season and they will be doing all they can to win the title next week in the hope Burton slip up on the last day at Cambridge. The other game involved is Luton-Stevenage, Westley's side have a play off spot secure and it wouldn't surprise me to see them field a weak team.

Is it inconceivable that Luton win 4 0 and we lose 4 0? I know it's unlikely, but I just think some of the celebrations are a touch premature.

We need to go to Shrewsbury, be professional and make sure we pick up a point (or more), that way it's in our own hands.

To support this comment, it's very amateurish if some fans think it's OK to go up there and lose 2, 3 or 5 nil if we stay in the play offs. A team serious for promotion will go and there and get a well deserved point there on Saturday.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Bristol Rich":xm8q92ng said:
To support this comment, it's very amateurish if some fans think it's OK to go up there and lose 2, 3 or 5 nil if we stay in the play offs. A team serious for promotion will go and there and get a well deserved point there on Saturday.

Are you suggesting the fans are amateurish? As opposed to professional fans?

May 22, 2006
It doesn't matter what the fans think. It matters only how the players approach this game. I'm sure nobody is actually suggesting it's OK to lose 5-0 but so what if they are? Just don't let them in the dressing room and everything's Jake.

May 1, 2011
crownhillpilgrim":2g8tikwq said:
Bristol Rich":2g8tikwq said:

Are you suggesting the fans are amateurish? As opposed to professional fans?

In mindset......as if it needs explaining....

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Being realistic Shrewsbury have the best Home record in the league and have the Title to go for.
1 loss and 4 draws at home is mighty impressive

On the other hand our away performances have been poor on the whole and don't look like changing this Saturday.
Now we haven't really been hammered all season as our defence has been reasonably solid so 4 - 0 to Shrewsbury would be a surprise.
However 4 - 0 to Luton would not surprise me in the slightest against a well rested Stevenage outfit.

I think JS will keep our shape and go defensive in the hope we restrict Shrewsbury to 1 or 2 goals.
The only problem I forsee with that is if they score early on as I can see us dropping even deeper and getting extremely nervous.

I think this game will be like the Alamo with us clinging on for dear life

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
FYI odds with William Hill Online for Luton and Shrewsbury to win 4-0 = 753/1

I would add I am extremely hopeful that Argyle go there to spoil the party and achieve a positive result so things remain in their hands. Remember under Shilton we beat Hartlepool by 7 goals when we wanted to notch up a high score so its not entirely inconceivable that a fired up Luton could rack up a cricket score against a weakened Stevenage.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Luton haven't scored four in a game all season, and have only notched three on 5 different occasions. We've only conceded three times this season in one game. They've only won three in their last 15 and have failed to score in seven of those?
What happens if we get to halftime and Shrewsbury see that Burton are cruising at Cambridge? They're hardly going to come out fired up and pepper our goal with shots.

Obviously it's a few goals shy of being able to write it off totally, but if you're genuinely concerned that Argyle could even somehow manage to fudge this up then you need to relax a bit. :greensmile:

Everyone's predicting we'll lose up there..I actually think we'll get a result. Lose at Carlisle and play poo, play well at Shrewsbury and get something...it's the Argyle way.

May 22, 2006
Don't worry, you're not.

That Hartlepool game has been brought up about seventeen times this week, but it's not relevant. Hartlepool were conceding goals at an alarming rate (they lost 7-0 to Rotherham only a few weeks previously), they were already relegated and had essentially given up. Argyle were scoring goals for fun all season. That result wasn't actually much of a shock.

There is absolutely no similarity between that situation and this. There is nothing to suggest that Luton will go goal crazy, or that Stevenage will lie down and give a local rival an easy game. Shrewsbury don't need to win big, they just need to win.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Andrew Owen":1yvk5ug3 said:
Don't worry, you're not.

That Hartlepool game has been brought up about seventeen times this week, but it's not relevant. Hartlepool were conceding goals at an alarming rate (they lost 7-0 to Rotherham only a few weeks previously), they were already relegated and had essentially given up. Argyle were scoring goals for fun all season. That result wasn't actually much of a shock.

There is absolutely no similarity between that situation and this. There is nothing to suggest that Luton will go goal crazy, or that Stevenage will lie down and give a local rival an easy game. Shrewsbury don't need to win big, they just need to win.

You sound very panicky.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
pilgrimage":1xc80r4e said:
Andrew Owen":1xc80r4e said:
Don't worry, you're not.

You sound very panicky.
You sound very paranoid

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Trev501":iewzuowb said:
pilgrimage":iewzuowb said:
Andrew Owen":iewzuowb said:
Don't worry, you're not.

You sound very panicky.
You sound very paranoid

I know, everybody is out to get me. :crazy:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Andrew Owen":28xknpeh said:
Don't worry, you're not.

I too do not think that Stevenage will lay down, but to be fair to the poster out of the top 8 they are the only team with absolutely nothing to play for. They will finish 6th whatever the results so will be away in the second leg of their play-off semi. Perhaps a good job that Delroy Facey was found out some months ago and safely locked up. The Stevenage game would have been a match-fixers dream.

O

ogwellmike

OK, OK - I know it's extremely unlikely, but it's not impossible for Luton to beat us to 7th place. As a coping mechanism I've now put a bet on the worst outcome - so if it does happen I shall at least be able to drown my sorrows in style. Ladbrookes are giving odds of 66 to 1 for Luton to get to the play offs!