Best Argyle player in the last 10 years? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Argyle player in the last 10 years?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
beregreen":1km2muuf said:
Boateng could well be the best player I've seen in an argyle shirt , he seems to have everything and could go right to the top .

Akos was a gifted player, Boateng has that same 'quick feet' gift (or learnt?) where you can use both feet to get past opponents in close order. I might have tried it but it would be embarrassing to call a physio on to unknot your legs!! :oops:

As regards Mpenza (and Taribo) they were, in their time, top top players (maybe not at Argyle tho'!)

Hence Mpenza could come on after being injured and not playing and score a good goal - easy peasy!

I once (many years ago) saw Cruyff play for Ajax vs Sparta in a local derby. He did nothing for 85 minutes, they were losing 0-2 and I just wondered why the fuss about him. In the last few minutes he lost patience with his teammates, demanded the ball twice, waltzed through twice and scored twice. Then he went back to sleep. 2-2 draw!!

Maybe it could be 'bad attitude' or 'lack of application' but, fact is, when he decided to give it a go, they couldn't do anything to stop him (one reason he played 'poorly' was that they kicked chunks out of him all game!)

We haven't had many, Mariner (10 years +!) so I'd go for Akos cos I love ability :nworthy:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
dayriderBusking":zg2m7e2x said:
I actually really liked Chris Clark, little workhorse he was. Also, maybe not top but does Alan Judge count, thought he was fantastic when I had a season ticket

Did Judge not try when you weren't there then? ;)

I can see Argyle managers rather than supporters voting for Clark tbh, great squad player at the right level.

Dec 22, 2009
West London
Kenny Cooper. Made all the difference with his goal haul - if only we'd been able to hold onto him long enough that he could have partnered Chadders up front.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
For entertainment, of the Wes Craven variety, I'd go for Rufus 'whatever next' Brevett. Only a dozen games mind.

His overhead kick in our half at HP to stop our goalie's hoof going to touch, putting the oppo striker clean in on goal to the Devonport, the stuff of mockery and mares. Could never leave early with Rufus around.

Jul 6, 2009
Elliott Ward and Scott Sinclair are the best 2 players I have seen play for Argyle in the last 10 years.

C

Cobi Budge.

1. Scott Sinclair
2. David Frio
3. Akos Buzsacky
4. Peter Halmosi
5. Eliot Ward
6. Graham Coughlan
7. Emile Mpenza (it's a myth that he was poor, excellent footballer, poor attitude)
8. BWP
9. Craig Noone
10. Graham Carey

Best 10, roughly in order of quality (relative to league & position) in my opinion of course.

N

newquaygreen

No mention of Micky Evans, great at holding ball up
Frio was a bit special too
Jamie Mackie had his moments too.
Norris was entertaining

Another way to look at it is combinations of players as some did work well together

Jan 27, 2012
Scott Sinclair was phenomenal. I didn't ever expect to see a better left sided Argyle player than Paul Dalton, but Sinclair was a class above during his time with us. I still think he has potential to be an England player. Manchester City was not a good move for his career.

As for Plymouth Argyle owned players, there was a lot of quality during the Championship years. Friio was excellent. But I will opt for Mickey Evans. He didn't score very much, but he set up so many goals for others and his aerial ability and hold-up play was absolutely first class. Very under-rated outside the confines of Home Park. He was immense and a big reason why the team were able to climb the leagues and become a serious force in the Championship.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Difficult isn't it the last 10 years. Right at the end of Luggys team into Hollowords teams. For me Cocko was the best CB we've had since Keith Hill and before that Gordon Nisbet.
Akos was a game winner who put bums on seats. Friio was brilliant and ran games along with Norris afterwards. But for me Nalis wins it. He oozed class just like Steve McCall did in Shiltons team. McCall is in my top 5 best Argyle players ever.