Best Away Days | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Away Days

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
db8230":34j9fv7g said:
Sheffield Wednesday 2003/04. We won 3-1 in a midweek game. Travelled up on the day, got there late and after the match found somewhere to eat. Sitting in a take away car park after the game listening to 606 and despite Manchester United having played Rangers, the majority of calls were from those fellow Pilgrims who had witnessed a great night. Two Argyle legends messrs Friio and Wotton got the goals. Great night and it all ended so well with promotion at the end of the season to the Championship. Whilst only eleven and a half years ago it feels like it was a dream and a lifetime ago.

Fantastic night in bitter cold in October, but that night signalled we were an outstanding side. We were a team on an upward trajectory. Oh for some away showings like that this season. Decisive and lethal going forward, composed at the back and with goals coming from all areas of the side, but, particularly midfield. Golden days to savour. Had just beaten Vale 5-1 away the weekend before.

Villa Park in the FA Cup semi in 1984 was a great day out.

Under Shilton, seeing Stevie Castle score a hat trick at Stockport.

Peterborough away last day under Tony Waiters when there was a lot of trouble, but more away fans than home. Same era - Mariner scoring twice in a pulsating draw at Stamford Bridge.

That other last day game at Turf Moor when we went down but what an atmosphere that day.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Reading, 0-3 up, lost 4-3. Nisbet got red card.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Darlington when we won the title was a great night and very kind of Darlington to allow us to celebrate on the pitch and the players in the directors box.
It was a rearranged game and I only decided to go at the last minute, so glad I did.

The Shrewsbury game under Fletcher was so emotional. By rights we shouldn't be even playing let alone have a kit to play in.
When Fletch scored that late goal all the frustration from the summer poured out.
The staff not getting paid, the GT's, the fans fighting to save the club, the many meetings and the vigil were all encapsulated in that single moment when the ball hit the back of the net. Simply brilliant! The goal meant we only drew the game but it felt so much much more than that.

Away to WBA in the FA Cup was another good away day. Pure chaos when Sir Thomas of Tynan scored.

Also the Wembley game for obvious reasons. Not the greatest game but the greatest occasion.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I'd also like to put forward the Rochdale game two seasons ago when we stayed up. The atmosphere that game is the best I've ever experienced in my admittedly short period of watching Argyle, taking over the town, the ground, singing before kick off, all game and then staying up. Mental.

Aug 10, 2006
derby away quarter final replay 1984 was special as was darlington away 86 promotion season even though we turned the transit van over on the way home just outside Harrogate, good old days real football proper grounds.

Mar 9, 2011
Voice_of_Reason":2rip26pd said:
Excuse my spelling Sue, but i'm pretty sure the lad you are talking about was called Al Bangherua - i dont quite remember the full story.

What was remarkable, was that he was being ushered around the ground and by all accounts the plan was not to come past the away end, as they had assumed he'd not a similarly warm reception as he did from the home fans. However, almost to a man (or woman/child) every Argyle fan started to sing his name, the lad just broke down in sheer dis-belief, i think most of the Watford fans were fairly stunned too.

It was an amazing atmosphere.

Sheff Weds away for me too, we absolutely played them off the park, every Wednesday fan i heard outside the ground were saying "they'll walk this league" and not one single Argyle fan disagreed, we were that good.
Ah, that was it, thank you. Couldn’t think of his name for the life of me and yes, now that you’ve mentioned it, I can remember how we sang this / how visibly moved he was by this.

Thanks for the link below Ian, couldn’t quite remember the whole story but thought it was upon the lines of fighting against deportation.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Liam Vercoe":fq6um09h said:
Wish I could contribute, we've never won an away game when I've been there! We rarely win the home ones either mind ;) but the best that I've been to has probably got to be the 3-3 with Pompey last season.
I don't have the time to check but just from memory there cannot be many occasions away from home where Argyle have come back from a goal down three times to take a point, as we did at Fratton last season.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
fester":14wpcpah said:
Darlington away loyal 1970 i was on said rolling minibus!!

I witnessed that in the rear view mirror of the minibus I was driving, we just couldn't get back.

Neil, Golly, Jimmy, John McGlinchey to name just a few.

Poor old John has never been the same, plagued by a bad back.

I remember the game so well, Tyan and Hodges scored.

May 14, 2004
PLYMOUTH
Ian, Jeff Davis was driving Garys brother agree poor John rolled out of the back door! I remember being upside down landing in a field!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I still feel bad, didn't realise that it was a mini bus full of Argyle fans. I told the lads in my bus but they thought I was seeing things. Didn't know about it until a few days later when Neil/Golly told me.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Best Away Day for me :

March 1994 St James Park

Not beaten Exeter City for years away

3-2 win one own goal , Wayne Burnett & Mickey Evans

Argyle playing in that awesome Admiral Yellow / green away Kit sponsored by rotolok

One night in heaven at st James park !!!! :scarf:

The nearly men of Peter Shilton era ( Good book that !!! ) :thumbs: