Best Away Days | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Away Days

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
About ten of us had seats behind the dugout that night, as we had a plan to wind up the late and great Alan Ball.

Little did we know that he'd leave for Southampton a few weeks before, so we ended up with Terry Cooper instead.

They scored a poxy first goal, a pinball type goal and one of our party said 'lucky bar stewards' with that Cooper stood up, and went absolutely loopy on us. :lol:

Great night lots of good banter and a win. :scarf: :scarf:

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
cheshiregreen":ccg8e329 said:
db8230":ccg8e329 said:
Sheffield Wednesday 2003/04. We won 3-1 in a midweek game. Travelled up on the day, got there late and after the match found somewhere to eat. Sitting in a take away car park after the game listening to 606 and despite Manchester United having played Rangers, the majority of calls were from those fellow Pilgrims who had witnessed a great night. Two Argyle legends messrs Friio and Wotton got the goals. Great night and it all ended so well with promotion at the end of the season to the Championship. Whilst only eleven and a half years ago it feels like it was a dream and a lifetime ago.

Fantastic night in bitter cold in October, but that night signalled we were an outstanding side. We were a team on an upward trajectory. Oh for some away showings like that this season. Decisive and lethal going forward, composed at the back and with goals coming from all areas of the side, but, particularly midfield. Golden days to savour. Had just beaten Vale 5-1 away the weekend before.
Villa Park in the FA Cup semi in 1984 was a great day out.

Under Shilton, seeing Stevie Castle score a hat trick at Stockport.

Peterborough away last day under Tony Waiters when there was a lot of trouble, but more away fans than home. Same era - Mariner scoring twice in a pulsating draw at Stamford Bridge.

That other last day game at Turf Moor when we went down but what an atmosphere that day.

This for me. What a night. Everything just felt so together. The club, the team, the support, and of course the results and performances.

The 5-1 at Port Vale was a great afternoon too.

I also loved the 3-2 at Exeter when Stoney headed the winner.

I remember us drawing 1-1 at Blackpool one year too. Marino fired in an equalizer I think. What stands out for me though was the atmosphere. The stand felt rammed full of the green army. It was the old wooden stand behind the goal that felt as if it would collapse at any moment.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
For catharsis - Fletch at Shrewsbury. For thrills - Wright Phillips' 3rd at Swindon after we nearly blew it. Gallagher's goal at Wolves followed by 90 minutes of hanging on also sticks in my head. Last year v Pompey was just great, relaxed fun. Timar's goal at Palace also reminds me of sunny, early season optimism in a great atmposhere where i met random fans in the pub and just had a good day out. Oh - hate the Ricoh but will always remember Noone's late winner. Good game at Rovers as well a few years back where we won 3-2 after being 2 down. Lots and lots really. Love away.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Peterboro - a proper awayday as we left Bretonside at midnight on the Friday.

Birmingham Wednesday afternoon during our run to the Lge Cup semis - scary Zulus after Steve Davey]s winner.

Villa Park 1984

Watford for the atmosphere for the 20 mins before we won it with a last minute goal.

Doncaster when Joe Mason or BWP scored a last minute goal ( I was working in Donny at the time).

Accrington 4 - 0 in a hailstorm on the open terrace

Hartlepool on Saturday??

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Dalton Is God":1qcr0wst said:
One that was pretty good that hasn't been mentioned was 3-0 win at Forest when Blackstock scored a couple.

This one for me, drove up the night before, bumped into the players at a services, wotton was a kn0b (as expected) and i passed dexter coming out of the toilets holding a copy of razzle (it could of been viz but I like my version better) great atmosphere and a real football club!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
GreenArmy1984":1shw26in said:
Wembley 96 was the best ever Away day with the green army

Over 30,000 of the green army at wembley celebrating promotion

Fantastic day and will never forget

Good times :scarf:

30,000? Does that include Territorials? :greensmile:

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":c4an0foh said:
GreenArmy1984":c4an0foh said:

Included a hell a lot of 'plastics' who probably don't even know where Home Park is but seem to get some pleasure when they jump on the band wagon. May not see them for some time at least!.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":2i4un324 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2i4un324 said:
GreenArmy1984":2i4un324 said:

Included a hell a lot of 'plastics' who probably don't even know where Home Park is but seem to get some pleasure when they jump on the band wagon. May not see them for some time at least!.

In fairness BG, you could say that about alot of clubs. It's not just an 'Argyle thing'.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
FA Cup 2nd Round Away Day 1995-96 Vs kingstonian 2-1 Win Goals Adrian Littlejohn & Chris Leadbitter

I remember it was live on sky sports but nothing like a FA cup away day with Argyle

Apr 30, 2011
My best away days...

1. 1994 - Burnley away in play-offs. First proper away game for me and a backs the wall performance to hang on to 0-0. Adrian Burrows sent off, Alan Nicholls nearly gifting a goal and the green army singing '10 men, we only need 10 men'. Got pelted with coins from Burnley fans after the game just to add to the fun.

2. 2010 (i think). Bristol City away win with two goals from Rory Fallon and an outstanding GK performance from Rab Douglas.

3. 2008 (I think). Reading away, 2-1 victory with Chadders deflecting one in in the last minutes. 4,000 Argyle fans in a near sell out crowd. Excellent atmosphere in our first game back at 2nd tier level.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Wrong about 3) Mr Pen.

It was 2005 and it was the second season back.

Apr 30, 2011
IJN":23gta6ih said:
Wrong about 3) Mr Pen.

It was 2005 and it was the second season back.

That does make sense actually, this was supposed to be Taribo's first game but due to a passport issue, he couldn't play. Still, an amazing away day.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Great day I won £500 from a group of Reading fans.

I can still remember Rufus crossing it sublimely for the Ginger Ninja to score with seconds to go.

Nov 26, 2010
Swindon
IJN":30kc0f3d said:
Great day I won £500 from a group of Reading fans.

I can still remember Rufus crossing it sublimely for the Ginger Ninja to score with seconds to go.

. . . . and the Reading 2@ in the vest getting ejected. Took 2 hours to get out of the car park though, but hey, it was sunny and hot. Really enjoyed our 1-0 win at Leicester too - travelled there and back on a Leicester bus from Oakham with a mate - smug or what. Still got a Bank of Bullsh!t note too.

S

Schmidler98

Fleetwood away last season , 4-0 away to a team that were flying high in the league at the time :)