Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle?

Apr 29, 2016
Marsh, Best and Moore. Shame for Bobby, who I remember was taken off at half time as he was past his best and Mariner and Rafferty gave him such a run around in the first half. Pele, Bale were sort of average I suppose!! :)

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
For me, the most complete performance by an opposition player at Home Park was by Charlie Adam for Blackpool in 2010. He completely controlled the game and scored one of their goals in a very comprehensive 2-0 win. Have followed his career with interest after that, and was delighted when he scored a great free-kick in a 3-2 victory over Cardiff in the play-off final. Not a bad subsequent career with Liverpool and Stoke but, for some reason, the early promise has not been fully followed-up.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Keith_Whitfield":3jbs2pqy said:
For me, the most complete performance by an opposition player at Home Park was by Charlie Adam for Blackpool in 2010. He completely controlled the game and scored one of their goals in a very comprehensive 2-0 win. Have followed his career with interest after that, and was delighted when he scored a great free-kick in a 3-2 victory over Cardiff in the play-off final. Not a bad subsequent career with Liverpool and Stoke but, for some reason, the early promise has not been fully followed-up.
And I had money on you going for Jimmy Greaves in the reserves game in December 1961!!

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
memory man":1zyxdsuy said:
Keith_Whitfield":1zyxdsuy said:
And I had money on you going for Jimmy Greaves in the reserves game in December 1961!!

Jimmy was and is my ultimate footballing hero and that reserve game sticks in my memory like it was yesterday - my first brush with real fame! And, of course, he scored two goals in the 5-1 demolition of Argyle in the FA Cup match a little while later. Not much of that match sticks in my memory - I was star-struck - but my dad waxed lyrically about John White, the Spurs winger, who tragically lost his life in a lightning strike not long after.

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
While on the topic - does anyone else remember the performance by Dean Ashton for Crewe about 10 or 12 years ago. Very reminiscent of Paul Mariner in his Argyle days. His subsequent career mirrored that of Mariner, but was cut short by an ankle injury.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pettgreen":2nnoky5j said:
Never knew John Charles played at Home Park. Way before my time but listening to my seniors who saw him play, they reckon he was the most under rated player ever!
He was something of a regular at HP. 12 November 1949 - centre half for Leeds and scored a penalty in a 2-1 win, 07 Sep 1953 - centre forward (Leeds) scored in 1-1 draw, 19 March 1955 - Leeds centre half in a 3-1 defeat, 12 November 1955 - scored 1 from centre forward half in a 4-3 defeat for Leeds. It was Johnny Williams 8th game in the first team and he scored one of Argyle's four. It was not until 11 April 1964 when he returned at centre half for Cardiff in a 1-1 draw. Johnny Williams again scored for Argyle. Charles was soon back. On 29 Aug 1964 he made his final visit, centre half for Cardiff in a 3-1 defeat. You are well informed by your seniors, John Charles was a great player. When Wales got to the World Cup finals in Sweden (1958) he was the star of a great Welsh side. Indeed, had he not been injured for the quarter-final with Brazil, Wales may well have progressed. He spent several seasons in Italy and at Juventus was as lauded as any Italian player. John had a brother Mel who played for Swansea, Arsenal and Cardiff, as well as playing for Wales. Indeed, when they picked the tournaments best XI in 1958 both Charles brothers were in it! I believe Mel passed away in the past few days.

A

Anonymous

I remember we played Norwich in 2008, Antoine Sibierski. Tall, bald fella that absolutely dominated the game. Won headers, great range of passing and I think he also smashed in a free kick. Distinctly remember thinking that I'd have loved him in green that day!

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
memory man":a0zdh2zj said:
Pettgreen":a0zdh2zj said:
Never knew John Charles played at Home Park. Way before my time but listening to my seniors who saw him play, they reckon he was the most under rated player ever!
He was something of a regular at HP. 12 November 1949 - centre half for Leeds and scored a penalty in a 2-1 win, 07 Sep 1953 - centre forward (Leeds) scored in 1-1 draw, 19 March 1955 - Leeds centre half in a 3-1 defeat, 12 November 1955 - scored 1 from centre forward half in a 4-3 defeat for Leeds. It was Johnny Williams 8th game in the first team and he scored one of Argyle's four. It was not until 11 April 1964 when he returned at centre half for Cardiff in a 1-1 draw. Johnny Williams again scored for Argyle. Charles was soon back. On 29 Aug 1964 he made his final visit, centre half for Cardiff in a 3-1 defeat. You are well informed by your seniors, John Charles was a great player. When Wales got to the World Cup finals in Sweden (1958) he was the star of a great Welsh side. Indeed, had he not been injured for the quarter-final with Brazil, Wales may well have progressed. He spent several seasons in Italy and at Juventus was as lauded as any Italian player. John had a brother Mel who played for Swansea, Arsenal and Cardiff, as well as playing for Wales. Indeed, when they picked the tournaments best XI in 1958 both Charles brothers were in it! I believe Mel passed away in the past few days.
Indeed, Steve, the great Mel Charles passed away on last Saturday. By all accounts, he was almost as great a player as his more illustrious brother. Pele swapped his shirt with him after the quarter-final game, and said that he was the best centre-half he played against in the tournament. He went from Swansea to Arsenal for a then record fee between two British clubs following a bidding war between the Arsenal and Spurs. At that time, the record fee for a transfer between a British and overseas club belonged to his brother, John. Now there's a great trivia question for you!

C

Cult Of Personality

Not going to post names that have come up already but Darren Currie used to murder us every time. Also Jamie Forester. Also remember Jason Roberts and Nathan Ellington destroying us

Apr 30, 2006
I too remember Kevin Francis and Andy Preece ripping us apart.

Also a guy called Don Goodman at West Brom I am sure had a few great games against us. One specific one I remember because it involved one of my fondest Argyle memories - Kevin Summerfield coming on at 0-2 down (to two Goodman goals) on his first appearance since his leg break v Everton, the whole crowd chanting for him to come on, he promptly made one goal and smashed home the equalizer.

Teddy Sheringham despite being 40 was still very impressive when West Ham drubbed us in the championship at Upton Park but our defending helped (shortly after that Pulis came in).

Another very old memory that sticks in my head was Ian Bishop absolutely dominating and running the game from midfield for Bournemouth at home park once. Think he went on to top division with Man City if I remember right.

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
Keith_Whitfield":3s6kjx33 said:
memory man":3s6kjx33 said:
Pettgreen":3s6kjx33 said:
Indeed, Steve, the great Mel Charles passed away on last Saturday. By all accounts, he was almost as great a player as his more illustrious brother. Pele swapped his shirt with him after the quarter-final game, and said that he was the best centre-half he played against in the tournament. He went from Swansea to Arsenal for a then record fee between two British clubs following a bidding war between the Arsenal and Spurs. At that time, the record fee for a transfer between a British and overseas club belonged to his brother, John. Now there's a great trivia question for you!

Another piece of trivia; our own Bill Shortt and John Charles played 3 games together in the 1953 Welsh side. In the 1950's Wales were a side to be treated with a lot of respect.

Apr 3, 2010
Not at home park but Robin Van Persie at the emirates,different class movement off the ball was just incredible argyle were chasing his shadow all afternoon.

Aug 5, 2016
Pettgreen":qdy3foz0 said:

Juventus fans regularly vote him up there with their greatest players of all time.

My Dad met him a few times, said his hands were literally the size of shovels. He said he was so good no one knew whether his best position was up front or at centre back, he would dominate whichever he was told to do.

Apr 15, 2016
Yep that Charlie Adam display for Blackpool at Home Park was something else. He ran the game from all corners of the pitch and smashed at least one 25 yarder into the top corner that day. He may have had more than one, or hit the post/bar a couple times