Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle?

Nov 18, 2011
Johndelve":357cwl4e said:
Dean Ashton playing for Crewe. Class act .

I remember a league cup game away at West Ham where he scored a late winner, he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch, the ball stuck to him like glue such was his brilliant technique.

I remember when Bendtner was on loan at Birmingham and scored 2 against us. He bossed the game despite only being 18, I was convinced he was going to be the next footballing superstar, didn't quite happen for him although he's a superstar in his own head!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":1oytt4s2 said:
21st November 1959 and Bill Shankly brought his Huddersfield side to Home Park. I was most anxious to see their goalkeeper Ray Wood, who had been badly injured in a collision with Peter McParland in the 1957 Cup Final. I came away astounded by the skill of a scrawny 19 year old called Denis Law. He ran the game and was that good that some supporters booed him for being too clever.

I also saw that game. I had read about Law in Charles Buchan's Football Monthly and learned he had very poor eyesight and wore National Health specs. He did play without specs, but how he saw the ball, I have no idea, because at that time contact lens were not available.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Penmaster":2n5eftcr said:
Kevin Francis from Stockport used to murder us every time we played them. His strike partner, Andy Preece I think he was called, was also good against us. I can't remember specific games from that far back.

I remember a cracking 3-4 must have been first season back down in the third, around early 1993 maybe, but can't for life find who the Stockport County scorers were, but I recall the collective fear on the Spion Kop every time the ball went in the box with big Kev about; too early for Dungey, must have been Newland trotting out another 'mare in goals.

Remember Carlton's dive under floodlights in the centre circle for Wednesday on a Tuesday, don't recall much else of him. Angry man.

Of the less obvious like a Gullit; Hendry, Pallister, Ritchie, Speedie; Carlo's hat-trick: one we did manage to sign.

For all the gems served up by the oppo though, nothing for me beats Dwight's "Pele goal" against Vale in autumn 1992. Coz Pele missed!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Gary_Wills":2270yesu said:
Penmaster":2270yesu said:
Kevin Francis from Stockport used to murder us every time we played them. His strike partner, Andy Preece I think he was called, was also good against us. I can't remember specific games from that far back.

I remember a cracking 3-4 must have been first season back down in the third, around early 1993 maybe, but can't for life find who the Stockport County scorers were, but I recall the collective fear on the Spion Kop every time the ball went in the box with big Kev about; too early for Dungey, must have been Newland trotting out another 'mare in goals.

Remember Carlton's dive under floodlights in the centre circle for Wednesday on a Tuesday, don't recall much else of him. Angry man.

Of the less obvious like a Gullit; Hendry, Pallister, Ritchie, Speedie; Carlo's hat-trick: one we did manage to sign.

For all the gems served up by the oppo though, nothing for me beats Dwight's "Pele goal" against Vale in autumn 1992. Coz Pele missed!
Here you are GW - scorers and more; and confirmation of who was in goal.
Saturday 27-Mar-1993
League Division Two
Home Park, Plymouth

Plymouth Argyle (2) 3 Stockport County (2) 4

Nugent 23 Williams 33

Dalton 37, 54 Francis 40, 73, 81

Att: 6,132

Managers
Peter Shilton Danny Bergara

Team Line-ups
1 Ray Newland
2 Gary Poole
3 Steve McCall
4 Keith Hill (Darren Garner)
5 Adrian Burrows
6 Marc Edworthy
7 Martin Barlow
8 Steve Castle
9 Kevin Nugent
10 Mickey Evans (Lee Hodges)
11 Paul Dalton

1 Phil Kite
2 Sean Connelly
3 Paul Williams
4 David Frain
5 Dave Miller
6 Alan Finley (Mike Flynn)
7 Jim Gannon
8 Peter Ward
9 Kevin Francis
10 Chris Beaumont
11 Peter Duffield

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
John Aldridge for tranmere - missed a penalty!
Gazza pre season - Everton
Southhall - Everton and Torquay!
Edgar Davids- well past his best but a massive name

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I always liked Michael Chopra as a player and remember him turning in a virtuoso performance at HP when we were in the Championship.

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
dhsboy":3n18ckw2 said:
Stanley Matthews - Stoke City, Derek Dougan - Wolves, Jimmy Greaves - Spurs Reserves

Can't argue with those really DHS when I put my three together I had Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Greaves and the gentleman prince, John Charles (Leeds Utd). Halcyon days!

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
memory man":3dash9zm said:
Gary_Wills":3dash9zm said:
Penmaster":3dash9zm said:

Here you are GW - scorers and more; and confirmation of who was in goal.
Saturday 27-Mar-1993
League Division Two
Home Park, Plymouth

Plymouth Argyle (2) 3 Stockport County (2) 4

Nugent 23 Williams 33

Dalton 37, 54 Francis 40, 73, 81

Att: 6,132

Managers
Peter Shilton Danny Bergara

Team Line-ups
1 Ray Newland
2 Gary Poole
3 Steve McCall
4 Keith Hill (Darren Garner)
5 Adrian Burrows
6 Marc Edworthy
7 Martin Barlow
8 Steve Castle
9 Kevin Nugent
10 Mickey Evans (Lee Hodges)
11 Paul Dalton

1 Phil Kite
2 Sean Connelly
3 Paul Williams
4 David Frain
5 Dave Miller
6 Alan Finley (Mike Flynn)
7 Jim Gannon
8 Peter Ward
9 Kevin Francis
10 Chris Beaumont
11 Peter Duffield

Highlights ere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9UyMFJatQ

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Thought Edgar Davids was something special even though he was about 50. Must have been amazing in his prime.

Vinny Jones on the other hand was useless.

Never saw enough of Ozzie Ardiles :)

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Frank_Butcher":jwtlvyi7 said:
I always liked Michael Chopra as a player and remember him turning in a virtuoso performance at HP when we were in the Championship.

Was that the game that Seip and Sturrock allegedly had a fall out after ? 1-3 or 0-3 defeat .
Seem to recall Timar marking Chopra and Seip marking Bothroyd .