Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle?

Tynan One Nil

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
FA Cup v Everton 2005 A young Leon Osman scored and looked class, stands out for some reason.

Sep 2, 2006
Paignton
I remember the botafogo game. They had a central midfielder with a beard and long hair who was absolutely outstanding. I think his name was "vitor". I was only a youngun when we played them, but have never forgotten how good they were and particularly that player.
Also gazza playing for Spurs in a friendly at HP. Took loads of stick from the crowd, but was so good that everyone chanted his name when he got subbed in the second half.

H

Hoppy

Ashley Young when we drew 3-3 with Watford, he was unplayable in the second half.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Dean Ashton, whenever we played him.
Andy Reid at Forest
Jon Stead at Huddersfield
Ben Foster at Watford
Darren Huckerby at Norwich
Nickolas Bendtner at Birmingham

Aug 2, 2011
still maintain that Jimmy Greaves was a phenominal goal scorer just have to look at his record for Spurs and England. He played his first game wearing a Spurs shirt at Home Park in a reserves match they won 4-1 and he scored twice. I think the game attracted a record crowd for a reserve game at HP. Must rate in the top 10 or so strikers of all time in the world. Sadly like many great players Gazza etc alcohol proved to be a major problem in his life.

G

Greenskin

John Robertson was the icing on the cake for the best team that I've ever seen at HP, Nottingham Forest in 1977 when they gained promotion, won the first division and the European cup twice in successive seasons.

S

Staniforths perm

Tim Flowers for Southampton in a ZDS cup match for Southampton also stands out, he pulled off 5 or 6 world class saves & I believe he admits himself it was the best game of his career.
We lost game 1-0 - they had Shearer & Le Tissier up front.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
He's been mentioned a couple of times but the one I always remember thinking "he'll go far, he's way too good for this level" was Dean Ashton.

Mind you, I thought the same about Darren Bastow ...

Sep 13, 2003
Alot of people mentioning players from much bigger teams playing in friendlies playing against us. That doesn't count in my opinion...friendlies are usually tedious affairs at walking pace. Of course RG would have looked good when he played as a sweeper...he had all the time in the world ! Bloody hell that Chelsea game was boring.

My nominations are a young Bobby Zamora for Brighton, Dean Ashton and a special mention for Kevin Francis who seemingly scored in every game he played against Argyle !