Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle?

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Joe Cole and Di Canio murdered us in a friendly. They were showboating all game and were on a different level.

Stan Colleymore away at Forest went clean through, round our keeper and slotted the ball in our net all in a blink of an eye. Remember thinking he'd be a superstar.

David Rocastle when Arsenal put 6 past us at home.

Peter Beagrie for Stoke. Just couldn't get the ball off him.

David Speedie. Hated by every opposition fan but the kind of forward I'd of loved in our team.

Feb 2, 2007
Dean Ashton Crewe and Norwich
Josh Windass Accrington
Trevor Sinclair QPR
Brian Jensen Burnley goalie
Joey Beauchamp Oxford

Jan 27, 2012
PAUL GASCOIGNE-

Once playing for Tottenham at his peak.

Once playing for Everton well past his peak.

Both of these were friendly games, but on both ocassions he was absolutely class. By far the best player I have seen live in any game (and I have been to a World Cup and European Championships in the past).

If he didn't get that bad injury early in his career and was not such a nutter, Gazza would have been a multiple World Player of the Year. In the same class as Messi- although playing in a different position.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
davie nine":ilgmyp7g said:
Before they moved on to better teams :
Micky Thomas (Wrexham) 'ran rings around us' in the mid 70's. Then went to Man Utd.
Kevin Davies (Chesterfield) in the mid 90's. Outstanding at Home Park. Also recall that he got sent off in the Saltergate brawl.
I was hoping some would think of players we played against 'before they were famous' similar to those 2 above. There must be more that I can't think of.

Apr 30, 2011
Kevin Francis from Stockport used to murder us every time we played them. His strike partner, Andy Preece I think he was called, was also good against us. I can't remember specific games from that far back.

Kevin Nolan of Newcastle impressed me, a really clever player and master of dark arts. I liked the fact physically and talent wise he was probably a L1 player but he was such an intelligent player with his movement and runs.

Other notable mentions - Ben Foster (FA Cup 1/4 final), John Eyres (Burnley etc) and Adi Akinbiyi.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
Ian_C":19m0edgb said:
Ian Wright for Crystal Palace.

First season back in Division 2 (86/87 Season).

The first Argyle game I saw. And yes, he and Wright (and Bright?) tore us apart.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
kernow19":24bfqfp7 said:
Alan Turing":24bfqfp7 said:
Steve Evans":24bfqfp7 said:
freddie2greens":24bfqfp7 said:
in div 2 it is windass, overall Gazza. Too young to have seen pele unfortunately. I didnt realise best or moore played down here but that would have been something else as well. Does anyone have any idea who is the most expensive player ever to have appeared at HP, dont mean to go off topic im just intrigued.
george best didn't play down 'ere for fulham.he only played home matches and didn't have to train.bobby moore was subbed at half time when the score was 'gyles 4 fulham 0.

George Best played for Fulham at Home Park in the 1976/77 season, a game which ended 2-2. I was there!

I was there as well. Best, Marsh and Moore all played in that match on 13 Nov 1976

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-m ... 1976-11-13
So was I, even managed to get George Best, and Rodney Marshes autographs outside the Holiday Inn where they were staying

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
Johndelve":3ntmdv5i said:
Dean Ashton playing for Crewe. Class act .

Agree, our game against them at home in our first season in what is now league 1 still lives in the memory. He completely unlocked our defence and I was in shock having grown accustomed to Messrs Coughlan, Wotton and Larrieu keeping most teams at bay. He was really starting to make a name for himself in the prem when he picked up that career ending injury warming up for England. Shame as I think he could have made an impact at that level

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Since we've been in League 2, Dan Bentley. Pulled off an unreal save to deny McHugh in the Southend home game a couple of years ago.