Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Best Opposition Players You Ever Saw at Argyle?

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Steve Evans":2oier5jt said:
freddie2greens":2oier5jt said:
in div 2 it is windass, overall Gazza. Too young to have seen pele unfortunately. I didnt realise best or moore played down here but that would have been something else as well. Does anyone have any idea who is the most expensive player ever to have appeared at HP, dont mean to go off topic im just intrigued.
george best didn't play down 'ere for fulham.he only played home matches and didn't have to train.bobby moore was subbed at half time when the score was 'gyles 4 fulham 0.

George Best played for Fulham at Home Park in the 1976/77 season, a game which ended 2-2. I was there!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Alan Turing":3tk81w7y said:
Steve Evans":3tk81w7y said:
freddie2greens":3tk81w7y said:
in div 2 it is windass, overall Gazza. Too young to have seen pele unfortunately. I didnt realise best or moore played down here but that would have been something else as well. Does anyone have any idea who is the most expensive player ever to have appeared at HP, dont mean to go off topic im just intrigued.
george best didn't play down 'ere for fulham.he only played home matches and didn't have to train.bobby moore was subbed at half time when the score was 'gyles 4 fulham 0.

George Best played for Fulham at Home Park in the 1976/77 season, a game which ended 2-2. I was there!
i think that was a charity match.might need memory man to help me out?

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Alan Turing":360d9cvv said:
Steve Evans":360d9cvv said:
freddie2greens":360d9cvv said:

I was there as well. Best, Marsh and Moore all played in that match on 13 Nov 1976

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-m ... 1976-11-13

S

Staniforths perm

agree last season Windass was best visiting player I saw down here but he is not the best league 2 player I have seen. Been a pleasure since last season to watch a creative midfielder who can pass, dribble and score goals. Set pieces are superb and his work rate is second to none.
Graham Carey for me is best I have seen in league 2 - in 20 years time we will be telling our kids / grand kids about him in glowing terms

Mar 23, 2008
Staniforths perm":yhnj42zv said:
agree last season Windass was best visiting player I saw down here but he is not the best league 2 player I have seen. Been a pleasure since last season to watch a creative midfielder who can pass, dribble and score goals. Set pieces are superb and his work rate is second to none.
Graham Carey for me is best I have seen in league 2 - in 20 years time we will be telling our kids / grand kids about him in glowing terms
That's fair, Paul MacGregor with a better work rate!

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
I remember Andy Ritchie coming down with that very good Oldham side and scored a superb goal. Think they won 1-0 as well.
Gazza, one of the most talented English players ever.
Hoddle one the finest midfielder playmakers we have ever produced.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Steve Evans":2o51vpcx said:
freddie2greens":2o51vpcx said:
Wrong - Best (and Marsh) played the year before in a 2-2 draw when Fulham equalised in about the 89th minute in front of 20,000.

S

Staniforths perm

Pettgreen":6xce410l said:
I remember Andy Ritchie coming down with that very good Oldham side and scored a superb goal. Think they won 1-0 as well.
Gazza, one of the most talented English players ever.
Hoddle one the finest midfielder playmakers we have ever produced.

The Oldham team of late 80's were superb saw them couple of times down here give us the run around, Andy Ritchie was a great little player

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
demportdave":35yse1lm said:
Steve Evans":35yse1lm said:
freddie2greens":35yse1lm said:
Wrong - Best (and Marsh) played the year before in a 2-2 draw when Fulham equalised in about the 89th minute in front of 20,000.

To be fair to Steve he had already acknowledged his error before you posted that.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Not exactly opposition players, but fifty years ago today..........

ON THIS DAY - 21 SEPTEMBER
1966: The day the World Cup came to Plymouth. In an inter-league fixture, the Football League beat the Irish League 12-0 at Home Park, with the Jules Rimet Trophy on display at the match and at a civic reception afterwards. Playing for the Football League, effectively an England side: Peter Bonetti, George Cohen, Jack Charlton, Bobby Moore, Ray Wilson, Martin Peters, Terry Paine, George Eastham, Geoff Hurst, John Connelly and Johnny Byrne. And substitute for the night: Argyle's Johnny Newman.

(From "Greens On Screen")

Aug 5, 2016
I remember a teenage Bobby Zamora absolutely destroying us for Brighton when he was about 19. He was young, confident, fearless, quick, physical, powerful and could finish. He finished his debut season as the Division 3 top scorer leading Brighton to the title, then got promoted to Division 2 and finished top scorer as Brighton won that division too. 56 league goals and two league titles in two seasons - 63 goals if you count cups.

Here's a quick minute clip of the goals he used to be capable of, the first one being against Argyle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEOV4Xryt0M

So when you mention getting torn apart by good players, for me BZ is up there. Dean Ashton would be another.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
21st November 1959 and Bill Shankly brought his Huddersfield side to Home Park. I was most anxious to see their goalkeeper Ray Wood, who had been badly injured in a collision with Peter McParland in the 1957 Cup Final. I came away astounded by the skill of a scrawny 19 year old called Denis Law. He ran the game and was that good that some supporters booed him for being too clever.

Jun 2, 2016
Verte":2phq0hld said:
Oh Botafogo the brazilian side - cant name any of them but watching their warm up I was like ... " we are doomed" and we lost 3-0...
Haha, know what you mean..it was a lovely balmy evening. We were pretty good at the time but they sunk us before half time..