#Bottlers | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#Bottlers

Sep 28, 2003
London
IJN":2rzytivn said:
I think 7,000 to 8,000 is magnificent too. Nowhere near as good as our Play Off rivals but brilliant none the less.

The dwindling crowds of the CCC mystified me then as much as it does now. I'll never understand that.

Nine years of progress up the leagues, each season better placed than the other, and the crowds dropped. It's a strange one and no mistake, as we were playing some good football and had some good players to boot.

I can remember a post on here saying what a sh*t draw we had we Newcastle came out of the hat. We are a strangely supported club in my mind. We don't mind being a top dog in the lower leagues but then seem to have some sort of 'minnow mentality' in the higher one (obviously we have no experience of the top one of all).

Perhaps someone can explain it to me as I never ever understood what happened in the last three seasons of the CCC.

I think simply put, the novelty of playing the likes of Sunderland, Norwich, Burnley etc wore off and when we weren't necessarily winning every single week Johnny Janner decided to go back to watching Soccer Saturday instead of Argyle.

You could probably make a decent case arguing that when it comes to our attendances, it doesn't really matter what league we're in as long as we're dominating - top of Division 2 and Division 1 we were getting crowds as big as any we had in the Championship.

Mar 14, 2009
crownhillpilgrim":2mbdddpm said:
I don't think you can blame our crowds - 7,000-8,000 in this division is excellent. Alternatively, you can't really blame the public at large who stay away... you have to give someone a reason to come and watch - sustained success would do it.

You see this is the crux of the matter.

You say you have to give someone a reason to come and watch. Yet without wealthy backers that is never going to happen.

So we go around and round in a circle. Floating fans need a reason to come whilst the loyal fans turn up waiting for a wealthy backer. Neither has happened for a number of years and so its no wonder we stay as we are.

You say fans need a reason. Well when in the championship they had a reason. We were 5th in the championship. Yet where were they?

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
I think it was a mixture of many things. Bobby's reign wasn't the dazzling success that it was supposed to be, then came Tony Pulis, who I loved but everyone moaned about winning 1-0 or drawing 0-0. Why no-one came back under Holloway (spit) is another matter, but apathy, disillusionment after Bobby and Pulis added on to the "novelty factor" and that the price went up from £10 to £20 would all have gone towards it.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
IJN":zxq2ibo7 said:
I think 7,000 to 8,000 is magnificent too. Nowhere near as good as our Play Off rivals but brilliant none the less.

The dwindling crowds of the CCC mystified me then as much as it does now. I'll never understand that.

Nine years of progress up the leagues, each season better placed than the other, and the crowds dropped. It's a strange one and no mistake, as we were playing some good football and had some good players to boot.

I can remember a post on here saying what a sh*t draw we had we Newcastle came out of the hat. We are a strangely supported club in my mind. We don't mind being a top dog in the lower leagues but then seem to have some sort of 'minnow mentality' in the higher one (obviously we have no experience of the top one of all).

Perhaps someone can explain it to me as I never ever understood what happened in the last three seasons of the CCC.
Apathy I'm sure.

First season in the Championship I think we played Wolves and Leeds in the same week, one on a Tuesday and the other on a Saturday. Both had just come down from the Premiership. I'm sure we had 20,000+ crowds for both games, even the Tuesday night one.

The novelty seemed to wear off though, but not immediately - even when Holloway was doing his stuff the crowds were some way down.

Jul 13, 2006
IJN":2weqa098 said:

Although we had improvement. It was marginal. Nobody's going to be singing from the rooftops " we finished 12th instead of 13th". Also the writing was on the wall with the better players leaving and total non football from Pulis. It was disappointing to see the crowds drop, i agree.

May 1, 2011
Metal_Green_Mickey":3bgz5phg said:
crownhillpilgrim":3bgz5phg said:
I don't think you can blame our crowds - 7,000-8,000 in this division is excellent. Alternatively, you can't really blame the public at large who stay away... you have to give someone a reason to come and watch - sustained success would do it.

You see this is the crux of the matter.

You say you have to give someone a reason to come and watch. Yet without wealthy backers that is never going to happen.

So we go around and round in a circle. Floating fans need a reason to come whilst the loyal fans turn up waiting for a wealthy backer. Neither has happened for a number of years and so its no wonder we stay as we are.

You say fans need a reason. Well when in the championship they had a reason. We were 5th in the championship. Yet where were they?

Holloway's last home gates I think we had around 12000. It's not good enough considering as you say we were 5th at the time. I used to believe the sleeping giant theory now I don't and I think of us as a big small club of that makes sense.

If you compare average home gates after previous promotions to div2 in the 70s and then 80s you
can see that the gates are about the same as in those 6 championship seasons. Mainly standing
in those days mind. Cidermans team that ended up 7th in div2 in the 80s only averaged just over 12k.
The higher championship figures to begin with were probably due to winning the 2 league titles. 16k the highest.
Interestingly the last time we averaged 20k at home was 59-60 and the halcyon days were after the
war with a gradual demise to under 10k in 69-70. Possibly due to the social changes happening in the 60s?
People owning cars and finding alternative entertainment etc.
All in the argyle gospel.
http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-seasons.asp

Feb 23, 2008
IJN":1bsh597q said:

Recession?

Jan 6, 2004
Plymouth has less sense of local civic pride than any other British city I have spent time in. I think this actually one of the charms of the place, nobody takes themselves or the city too seriously, but I think it explains in part the apathy about the football club. Plymouth is a reasonably sized city but undeniably has a small town mentality.

Sep 6, 2006
I think somebody should tell this chap metal green that few if any folk have the time or inclination to read his monologues.

Green_Flash":1eycg8fb said:
Plymouth has less sense of local civic pride than any other British city I have spent time in. I think this actually one of the charms of the place, nobody takes themselves or the city too seriously, but I think it explains in part the apathy about the football club. Plymouth is a reasonably sized city but undeniably has a small town mentality.
How the F do you decide levels of local civic pride and what has and hasnt small town mentality?
Give me some undeniable examples. Before you mention it heres my answer.
Argyle. Why dont people support enough? Simple answer. Argyle dont win enough.
Why dont argyle win enough? Money basically. A lack of. In plymouth and
the far south west. No industry and no infrastructure. Not enough political
clout(mps) to change things for the better.
As for not taking themselves seriously you got to be kidding. Janners are
reknowned moaners. There are some seriously peed off people in this city
(me included). Just look on here after we lose. :lol:
Weve been hard done by us janners.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Green_Flash":1914zamd said:

Don't tell me, you live/work in London?

Sep 28, 2003
London
IJN":17pt6vcf said:
Green_Flash":17pt6vcf said:

Don't tell me, you live/work in London?

You still banging that drum? No-one living in London allowed an opinion on a city they're very, very familiar with?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Of course they are. As I'm entitled to think that people that live in London sometimes think it's the be all and end all of the whole pigging world.

Arrogance, that's the word I'm looking for.

Notably its usually the ex Plymothians in London that slag us Plymouth Janners more than most.

London's wonderful, incredible and any other adjective you can think of. However some of us love living down here and putting up with the faults.

We don't really want London dwellers slagging off our City at every possible opportunity.

Hope that explains better.

Sep 28, 2003
London
You're the only one comparing Plymouth to London! Paranoid much?

FYI my opinions are ones I had long before I moved up here, incredibly enough they were formed in the vast majority of my life spent living near and in it.