#Bottlers | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

#Bottlers

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's not only you Andy, I've noticed over many years on here, and almost without exception it's people that live in London that really slag off us small minded Janners that decided to stay in our fine city and make a go of it.

Not for here though. I just bite when I see the comments regarding Plymouth.

Not paranoid simply proud.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Green Flash has a point. The way that Plymouth has 'styled' itself architecturally is a case in point. London doesn't come into it - it's an entirely different place.

Oct 31, 2015
Wow this thread has gone so far off topic its untrue.

Back on topic can the bottlers find some backbone for the final 4 games (heres hoping its 4!!)? I hope so but im not confident at all

Green_Matt":3dmq49qd said:
Green Flash has a point. The way that Plymouth has 'styled' itself architecturally is a case in point. London doesn't come into it - it's an entirely different place.
Since when have the people decided on style and architecture?
Designers do that dont they.
If green flash is referring to designers or planners etc. then fair enough but
less local civic pride? Small town mentality perhaps. He needs to be more precise.

rsp4":5q08jkhw said:
Wow this thread has gone so far off topic its untrue.

Back on topic can the bottlers find some backbone for the final 4 games (heres hoping its 4!!)? I hope so but im not confident at all
Your correct. This thread has gone a bit awol. I wiil help you try and get it back
on track.
My take is that neither team are bottlers and are just victims of circumstance.
Neither good enough to make automatic. They have the better players so got to be the favourites.
It might just suit us to be underdogs though. We do have the firepower to hurt them.
Really looking forward to it. :scarf:

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Fat_green_belly":tzxn5rxi said:
Green_Matt":tzxn5rxi said:
Since when have the people decided on style and architecture?
Designers do that dont they.
If green flash is referring to designers or planners etc. then fair enough but
less local civic pride? Small town mentality perhaps. He needs to be more precise.
Fair comment, although you could argue that the planners are meant to represent the people in terms of ensuring that what architecture is provided satisfies aesthetic criteria. The Victorians and those that came before them, for example, usually got this right when it comes to civic architecture. Compare and contrast the former technical college (think that's right, in Paradise Road) and the newer city college opposite.

Apologies for taking this even more wildly off topic.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Samuel Johnson was wrong when he said 'if you are tired of London you are tired of life' (or something like that!). It's vibrant, expensive, crowded, exciting, aggressive and appallingly smelly--and some of us decided it was no longer for us. It's a transient place with a predominantly young working population who are being forced further and further out to afford living accommodation. Devon has provided the antidote to London for many of us--and Plymouth for all its faults has always felt more 'real' to me. I also believe that it is making progress despite the lack of investment in infrastructure (there are few MPs in the South West compared to South East so Government can afford to ignore us).

As for the battle of the bottlers---God only knows--it's been such a Jekyll and Hyde season. I think I've called every game wrong. We have the quality in the squad to get promotion, but I'm not sure about the mental strength. We need our leaders to step up, Mchugh, Hartley, Nelson on the pitch and Wotton and Adams off the pitch. The opportunity is still alive.

Sep 28, 2003
London
It's strange how some people's response to Plymouth's problems being discussed is to start slating London.

Literally no-one has tried to compare the two, it's an odd and somewhat parochial defence mechanism to have.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I think if you read back through the thread you can see why it happened Andy--and as many have moved from Devon to London (and vice versa) comparisons, favourable or otherwise, are hardly surprising. I'm a Londoner through and through and I could write a book on the changes that have taken place in my home city from my childhood in the late 50s and 60s, my working life in the 70s through to the early 2000s and its continuing metamorphosis in the 2010s. London is beauty and the beast, some see it as the economic black hole sucking the life out of other major UK cities, others as the major contributor to UK plc. It's unsurprising that it provokes strong reactions particularly when Cities like Plymouth are crying out for investment. I don't think this is parochialism--I do think it is a reaction to something that to many seems fundamentally unfair.

Old Gunner":2aaatgy2 said:
I think if you read back through the thread you can see why it happened Andy--and as many have moved from Devon to London (and vice versa) comparisons, favourable or otherwise, are hardly surprising. I'm a Londoner through and through and I could write a book on the changes that have taken place in my home city from my childhood in the late 50s and 60s, my working life in the 70s through to the early 2000s and its continuing metamorphosis in the 2010s. London is beauty and the beast, some see it as the economic black hole sucking the life out of other major UK cities, others as the major contributor to UK plc. It's unsurprising that it provokes strong reactions particularly when Cities like Plymouth are crying out for investment. I don't think this is parochialism--I do think it is a reaction to something that to many seems fundamentally unfair.
Yeh. Thats how i saw london as well. Really exciting city but had its dark side with it.
I moved up there for work in the mid 80s. No other reason, although i was looking forward to experiencing the live music
scene. Nothing down here for me outside the yard at that time. Joined BT payhones in the fulham road and then camelford house
next to the mi5 building which was built whilst we were there. Was driving and working in all areas and diverse places from
the palace and belgrave square(norman tebbits house) to north peckham estate where we had to double up when visiting and
brixton just after the riots.
Like you as i got older i yearned for something less manic so moved out of central london and due to personal circumstances
had to return here via cullompton. Although i was always intending on returning home at some point. I did join pasalb whilst there
and was on the commitee for a spell and didnt hear any of this anti plymouth sentiment to be honest.
Plymouth whilst i was away has improved business wide as the business insert in the herald proves having multiplied tenthold.
Service sector i guess. As a city it still seems just the same as it was in the 80s to me. But no longer in decline i would say.
Still lagging behind our competitors. As thats what other cities are in a capitalist society. Where is the level playing field
so we can compete with them. There shouldnt be an economic hub for the SW. We should all compete against each other.
National infrastructure spending should be rotated region by region. Or some other sysyem devised.
Something a bit fairer. :mad:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I've just pasted an interesting video about the local elections in Plymouth from today's Guardian on the City of Plymouth Board. Probably best not posted here as we have gone a bit off topic :)