Bray Update? - 6 Months Out confirmed. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bray Update? - 6 Months Out confirmed.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The question being why the hell wasn't he taken off after the first fall.

Poor decision that has probably greatly extended his recovery time.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Quintrell_Green":2jc0hpyb said:
tagz":2jc0hpyb said:
"Bray's loan cut short" I imagine he will now be returning to Swansea but not confirmed by either club.

He is already there!

Very Very unfortunate considering he was not even tackled. On the positive side, he is young enough to recover and get on with his career.

You would hope so, but then again look at Matt Lecointe...

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Tugboat":16o9yfp4 said:

I think he asked to stay on, Paul Atkinson clearly signalled for him to be stretchered off but the lad seemed to want to stay on. Clearly PA pretty much knew what the problem was but the assumption is always that the player knows their body best and knows when they can and can't continue, in hindsight the lad clearly couldn't continue and physio's first opinion was right but if the player believes he can play on who can really tell them how their body should be feeling?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Ollieargyle9":2h8cv3af said:
Tugboat":2h8cv3af said:

I think he asked to stay on, Paul Atkinson clearly signalled for him to be stretchered off but the lad seemed to want to stay on. Clearly PA pretty much knew what the problem was but the assumption is always that the player knows their body best and knows when they can and can't continue, in hindsight the lad clearly couldn't continue and physio's first opinion was right but if the player believes he can play on who can really tell them how their body should be feeling?

This is a bit like allowing a concussed player to play on, just because he says 'I'm ok'. I would have thought that the combined opinion of Argyle's physio and the match M.O. would be sufficient to say 'you cannot carry on pal' when they have a major concern.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Quintrell_Green":3pmi6lc5 said:
Ollieargyle9":3pmi6lc5 said:
Tugboat":3pmi6lc5 said:

This is a bit like allowing a concussed player to play on, just because he says 'I'm ok'. I would have thought that the combined opinion of Argyle's physio and the match M.O. would be sufficient to say 'you cannot carry on pal' when they have a major concern.

A concussion or any head injury for that matter tends to be treated completely differently, head injuries can affect player's thought processes and so a physio has to step in and make the decision for them. Similarly I'd say the symptoms of head injuries are usually easier to spot, the player is dizzy or they can't focus their eyes properly, there's no arguing with that and it can be life or death if they get it wrong. If a physio says "you can't walk on that leg" however and the player gets up and walks down the touchline, who is to argue with them?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The final decision shouldn't rest with the player IMO.

He can advise the physio and give him all the information but it has to be a medical profession that makes the call and looking at the way he went down, the pain he was in and the physios medical knowledge of knee complications, he should have been taken straight off for assessment.

I think Brays hunger for match time confused his judgment when though he knew the injury was a tough one and again something the medical professionals should have considered.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
In theory I think you're right, but in practice how many 1000's of times does the player's 'I'm ok' carry weight? I would say 99.9% of the time.

Perhaps it's worth considering the fact that of all the people in 'football' the Physio is probably the most accredited and professional of all the people involved in the game.

Mar 14, 2009
I think this is a massive blow for Argyle and the kid.

He just had something about him. The fact he was direct but from a wide position just seemed perfect for us.

Hope he has a full recovery :scarf: :scarf:

As for a replacement, I'm assuming Argyle will be playing his wages for 6 months so might have to go with what we got. Hence why I think its a big blow for Argyle too. You don't often find a kid of that quality who just slots in.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Our very own Gerry McElhinney once tried to run off a broken leg at Villa Park, late 80's i'd guess.

Still remember him stamping his leg into the ground as if to loosen the muscle and stretch out, then a short sprint, eventually he shook his head and was subbed (or more likely we finished the game with 10 men) - i'm sure it was revealed as a double leg break the following day.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Watching it on TV I thought it was quite a peculiar incident. One moment he was writhing on the ground apparently in agony with the physio signalling with crossed arms to the bench (we don't know for sure what that symbol means; the usual symbol for a changing is the rolling hands one) and the stretcher poised. The next moment he hopped up onto his feet, walked off the pitch and turned to wait to be allowed back on. There was very little time between him getting up off the ground and him apparently being ready/wiling to go back onto the pitch. The way he went down and the way he was treated whilst on the ground etc. definitely pointed towards a serious injury, but the way he quickly got up and seemed ready to return to action were completely out of line with that being the case.

There will always be a question mark now over whether he made his injury worse by continuing to play. Surely he must have?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Metal_Green_Mickey":hv7edcxm said:
I think this is a massive blow for Argyle and the kid.

He just had something about him. The fact he was direct but from a wide position just seemed perfect for us.

Hope he has a full recovery :scarf: :scarf:

As for a replacement, I'm assuming Argyle will be playing his wages for 6 months so might have to go with what we got. Hence why I think its a big blow for Argyle too. You don't often find a kid of that quality who just slots in.

I would have thought there must be some insurance involved for these types of injuries?

Jul 29, 2010
Quintrell_Green":3mex419a said:
tagz":3mex419a said:
"Bray's loan cut short" I imagine he will now be returning to Swansea but not confirmed by either club.

He is already there!

Very Very unfortunate considering he was not even tackled. On the positive side, he is young enough to recover and get on with his career.

Thing is though, ligaments never heal. Different options may exist for elite athletes but I ruptured my anterior cruciate in 2002 and a recent MRI showed it was still ruptured twelve years later. On the NHS one can only build up the surrounding muscle groups to compensate stability.

He may still be young but he's got one helluva lot of work to do to get back to where he was before it ruptured.

Good luck to the lad.