Brief Synopsis!!! (Portsmouth) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Portsmouth)

C

Cobi Budge.

Good atmosphere today as well.

Thought the minutes silence was really quite moving.

National anthem was embarrassing mind you.

Just a tactical point about today's game. Our possession and passing was a joy to behold. Particularly when playing out of defence. However in the first half I counted about 80per cent of Luke's kicks went straight to the opposition. Nothing unusual there, but given our quality, shouldn't Luke be rolling the ball out to the nearest defender more often?

C

Cobi Budge.

I also thought we had more possession. But perhaps we just did more when we had it, making it seem so.

Mar 14, 2009
Argyle were fantastic.

Great all round team performance.

Blizzard is much better going forward and as a CAM he did the simple things well, linked up the play and got himself in the box which is what you need from a midfielder.

With B Reid leaving, Kellet took the free kicks and corners and I thought they were consistently decent.

Couldn't understand why Pompey were so poor seeing that before todays game they were only 4pts behind us. You only have to see their Goals for Column away from home where they have scored only 3 goals so far this season. It showed in their performance.

Lets hope we have some plan in place about trying to keep Kellet for longer else we must plan how we going replace such a guy with so much energy and drive which gives us an added dimension to our side. Maybe when Purrington is fit again, if a change of formation was needed, Kellet could play LM and do just as decent job as he does at left wing back.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Metal_Green_Mickey":jd53nhlg said:
Argyle were fantastic.

Great all round team performance.

Blizzard is much better going forward and as a CAM he did the simple things well, linked up the play and got himself in the box which is what you need from a midfielder.

With B Reid leaving, Kellet took the free kicks and corners and I thought they were consistently decent.

Couldn't understand why Pompey were so poor seeing that before todays game they were only 4pts behind us. You only have to see their Goals for Column away from home where they have scored only 3 goals so far this season. It showed in their performance.

Lets hope we have some plan in place about trying to keep Kellet for longer else we must plan how we going replace such a guy with so much energy and drive which gives us an added dimension to our side. Maybe when Purrington is fit again, if a change of formation was needed, Kellet could play LM and do just as decent job as he does at left wing back.

Hopefully we won't require a change of formation. 352 suits our current squad perfectly.

Jun 11, 2012
That first half was the best 45 minutes of football I've seen Argyle play for... well... ages.

McCormick - 8
Nelson - 8
McHugh - 8
Hartley - 8
Mellor - 9
Kellett - 8
O'Connor - 8
Cox - 7
Blizzard - 8
Reid - 9
Alessandra - 9

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
A very entertaining watch with Portsmouth playing their part in spite of the scoreline.
Once again though, the difference was not the attacks (despite the scorers being our strikers), but rather the defence. Ours was mobile, quick, positionally aware, communicative, brave, confident in the Goalkeeper behind them. Theirs looked porous, shakey, disjointed and cumbersome. Portsmouth had long long periods of possession, but our rear-guard and O'Connor made it virtually impossible for them to fashion a meaningful chance and by the end they were reduced to speculative long-range efforts in frustration.
It was very pleasing to see Argyle come out of the blocks looking to get on the front foot immediately and really press the ball from the front (this seemed to tail off a little in the second half...fatigue?).
Was no surprise to see Shorey hauled off. Former England defender looked like a rabbit in the headlights every time Mellor took him on.
I still remain a little worried about Argyle's attacking options once Reid is removed from the team...after he went off today Argyle looked less threatening (although still fashioned chances). Smalley was the one disappointment of the afternoon. Had a chance to stake a claim and looked lethargic. On more than one occasion he waited for the ball rather than going to it and Argyle lost possession as a result (this was lesson one in football basics class).
A word too for the ref. Let the game flow really well, didn't book players where others would for mistimed rather than malicious challenges.

McCormick 8. Not much to do thanks to the solid defence in front of him but commanded the high ball very well. This was perhaps Jake Cole's major minus point.
Mellor 9. A constant threat in the first half and maker of another great team goal
Nelson 8. So mature for such a young age
Hartley 9. MOTM for me...won everything in the air...so fast across the ground for a centre half...seemed to be playing with a sore shoulder...didn't give their strikers a look in... massive improvement on the Blanchard, Branston, Trotman archetypal 4th div try-hards.
McHugh 8. Another dependable showing from McHugh in his natural position. If Hartley doesn't stop it, McHugh will throw himself in the way.
Kellet 8. Busy and quick in the challenge too. Sadly not many set pieces for him to swing in today, an arear in which he has improved our threat manifold.
O'Connor 9. His best game for us..composed, efficient, recycles the ball to great effect.
Cox 7. An OK display but dithers on the ball too long sometimes when a quick release is necessary.
Blizzard 7. The workmanlike Blizzard today rather than the showy one.
Allesandra 7. Think the goal was well taken rather than scuffed but I'll have to see a replay. Can't time a jump to win an aerial ball. Thrives on Reid alongside him taking up the defenders attentions and should sometimes make more of the space and time this affords him
Reid 9. Well up for it today. Bullied their defence and pressed from the front. Superb finish along the ground.
Smalley 5. Chance to stake a claim missed. see comments above
Morgan 5. Chases down well, that's about it
Harvey 5. Minimal contribition

Well, that was a change from last Saturday! Great performance, especially in the first half, and a well-deserved win for us. You could tell right from the off we were really fired up, although a very soft penalty decision did help us on our way.

PLAYER RATINGS:
McCormick - 7 - One flap that nearly cost us a goal, but he made up for it well and we were 3-0 up by that stage. Usual solid game, that apart.

Nelson - 9 - He was everywhere. Best game I've seen him have in a while. Dominant at the back.
McHugh - 7 - Not bad by any means, but probably the least good of the three centre-backs. Slipped over and caught on his heels sometimes. Passing was surprisingly good, though.
Hartley - 8 - Very solid - nothing got past him.

Mellor - 9 (MotM) - Incredible performance in the first half, bombing down the flank and showing flair and skill to provide a consistent end product. Very good defensively throughout, even if he did tail off a little bit going forward in the second. Anyone who can make an ex-Premier League left-back be taken off before the hour must be too good for this division.
Cox - 7 - Usual display of efficient, intelligent football. A little slow to release at times, yes, but in terms of picking up scraps in midfield and keeping possession there's few better in this league.
O'Connor - 8 - Dominated defensive midfield, strong in the tackle and in the air, busy and hard-working, kept possession really well. That's how you play holding midfield.
Blizzard - 6 - Not 'bad' as such, but in a good team performance he was the weakest link for me. Did make the odd good pass and his pressing wasn't bad, but he was a passenger for much of the game.
Kellett - 7 - Has a few real heart-attack moments defensively, very raw, but a good if inconsistent wing-back from what I've seen. He excels going forward and he's a battler with a real fighting spirit - I like him, I hope and think he should have a good future in football.

Reid - 9 - Brilliant in the first half: attacked in a number of ways and none were dealt with. Anyone with his combination of pace, skill, strength, height, finishing ability and work ethic is going to be a very tough player to play against.
Alessandra - 8 - Really did well feeding off Reid and his movement was terrific. Very good finish for the goal and a, errrr, clever dive for the penalty.

SUBSTITUTES:
Smalley - 5 - Didn't warrant the high ratings he's been getting, in my opinion. Two one-on-ones: but the first one was a lucky bounce he really should have scored, and the second was a decent solo effort, but there was a pass to Alessandra I think he should have made. Can't help but think if, for example, Banton missed that pass, he would have been blasted on here after the game. Smallet didn't win any physical battles either, I don't think.
Harvey - 5 - Didn't do anything of note.
Morgan - 6 - Hassled and chased relentlessly in his short time on the field. Should have been given a couple of free kicks.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Totally agree re Smalley, didn't move to the ball at all. Otherwise a great team performance. Mellor is a real asset, love watching him play.

Dec 7, 2006
I fear for our attacking threat when the vultures start circling for Reuben in the January window (as mentioned on the Sky commentary). Wonder what we could realistically expect for him? :sad:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Reid has been down that road before where a hatfull of L2 goals won him a move to a Championship club which didn't work out.

He's settled at Argyle and may decide to stay and be the main guy instead of a squad filler and taste success or even win a trophy. Fingers crossed.

Sep 23, 2005
Family commitments meant I couldn't make it down today so had to watch it on SKY.

We looked soooo good on the box, great entertainment and nice to get a close up view of all aspects of our play.
Reid was looking for a quick pass today rather than win the game by beating 2 or 3 and Lewi and him were such a threat because of it.

With Mellor and Kellet adding width the first half was a joy.
Cox had a few dodgy defensive moments but that is my only criticism

Well done guys, we should be on the box more often. :)