Brief Synopsis!!! (Portsmouth) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Portsmouth)

C

Cobi Budge.

To me Alessandra didn't have any reason to stick his leg out apart from to win the penalty. He sticks his leg out to make sure Shorey makes enough contact with him therefore ruling out a dive, it's either a coming together or a penalty, and thankfully a penalty was given. Both Lewi & Shorey caused it.

For some really strange reason it reminded me of a penalty Warren Feeney won for us against Hereford which Chadwick converted, when it's 50% simulation and 50% a foul, won by the striker using his brain to draw the 'foul'.

It's not cheating if the ref gives it, always said that and always will, the officials control the game and decide the instant rules so credit to Lewi for some intelligent play.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Alessendra may have been trying to block across Shorey to shield the ball? You can't really say for definite that the only put his leg there to win a penalty. I'd like to give our players the benefit of the doubt (if it was an opposition player he'd be a cheating, diving illegitimate).

Sep 23, 2005
I don't think there was anything devious here from Alessandra at all. Definately a trip but was Shorey's play careless, reckless, or using extreme force? It seemed totally involuntary to me.
Never mind it was a great penalty from Reuben.

Oct 24, 2010
A striking contrast between us and Portsmouth was how well organized we were defensively and it's perhaps about time we started giving Paul Wotton some credit. The performance of the defense he coaches reflect his qualities as a player, he never had any pace or exceptional ability but he was always in the right place and knew the value of good organization.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Tyhee_Slim":1k3ill0y said:
Andy_S":1k3ill0y said:
However, from my position I could not judge

But the referee (the one that really counts) had a perfectly good view from his position - he was about 10 feet from it and even crouched down to get an uninterrupted view.

There's a very good view of the referee's view (if you know what I mean) on the Sky highlights. The ref, although close, is looking at the incident pretty much side on from where it is very difficult to see that our gallant lad certainly stuck his leg out. The replay shows pretty much what the ref saw and, from that angle, it looks like a definite penalty. The unwritten law of football for refs - 'give what you see' - applies here, and I think that's just what he did.

That is all we can ask of any referee.

C

Cobi Budge.

You've missed the point I was making.

There is a rule book, but the only rule a player should be concerned about is whatever the official can see.

All about opinions but I definitely feel Lewi was looking for the penalty and that's why the leg came out and that's why he went down in a heap. But that doesn't mean to say I was criticising him, we seem to jump to the protection of our players automatically if there's a question of simulation without much thought, I don't mind it.

We'd be screaming dive if we were Pompey fans.

There's a clever way of looking to win a foul and a silly way, the Drogba of old was a prime example of the silly way, as is Ashley Young today, players who will throw themselves to the floor in a dramatic way. Lewi demonstrated the clever way to win a penalty on Saturday (as did Feeney in my example), when a player uses his brain to ensure that even if the ref doesn't give it, it cannot be a dive, the player has therefore usually achieved a ratio (somewhat) of 50% simulation and 50% foul.

I couldn't care less if our players look to win fouls in a clever way, as Lewi did & also I think Reuben did the same against Burton, if it comes off then brilliant, if it doesn't then no harm done.

Jun 8, 2014
IMO it was neither penalty nor dive. He clearly moves to hold off Shorey, Shorey catches him and he trips slightly, but maintains to fight for the ball. Erego, he is neither a cheat nor was he looking for it.

Either way he's clipped him in the box - a penalty is always a risk when that happens.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Andy_S":3gondggl said:

But the referee (the one that really counts) had a perfectly good view from his position - he was about 10 feet from it and even crouched down to get an uninterrupted view.

A major miscalculation there I think. TEN FEET? The incident was level with the six yard line to the right of goal and the referee (who indeed had an unobstructed view) was on the edge of the penalty area in the centre. Now seeing as it is 36 feet from the six yard line to the edge of the penalty area, if you take into account the angle it is well over 40 feet.

Just saying.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Lundan Cabbie":1d1oo6d2 said:
Andy_S":1d1oo6d2 said:

A major miscalculation there I think. TEN FEET? The incident was level with the six yard line to the right of goal and the referee (who indeed had an unobstructed view) was on the edge of the penalty area in the centre. Now seeing as it is 36 feet from the six yard line to the edge of the penalty area, if you take into account the angle it is well over 40 feet.

Just saying.

I suppose every time Christian Ronaldo did a step over he was inviting a tackle. Every time Ryan Giggs changed direction whilst on a run he was inviting a tackle. Lewis had the ball, he was the one that could make the decision as to how he wanted to play, to make space for himself. Storry dived in, he interfered with Allessandra's run and on this occasion the ref gave a penalty.

Anyway, we won 3-0 it wasn't the deciding goal and Portsmouth wouldn't have scored if they were still playing today.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Ade the green":1i7iazlq said:
Lundan Cabbie":1i7iazlq said:
Andy_S":1i7iazlq said:

Just saying.

I suppose every time Christian Ronaldo did a step over he was inviting a tackle. Every time Ryan Giggs changed direction whilst on a run he was inviting a tackle. Lewis had the ball, he was the one that could make the decision as to how he wanted to play, to make space for himself. Storry dived in, he interfered with Allessandra's run and on this occasion the ref gave a penalty.

Anyway, we won 3-0 it wasn't the deciding goal and Portsmouth wouldn't have scored if they were still playing today.

This!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":kmgldm46 said:
Lundan Cabbie":kmgldm46 said:
Andy_S":kmgldm46 said:

Just saying.

There are nine offences that a referee can award a penalty/free kick for and "interfering with a player's run" is not one of them.

With the benefit of different angles and super slow mo, Alessandra COULD have been penalised for "kicking an opponent" which IS one of the nine.

It was a fortunate decision in Argyle's favour.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Can't we all just agree that it was one of those that would be given for us one week, not given to us the next and given against us the following week? :greensmile:

We've had a few penalties this year that IMO should have been given but weren't, if this one really wasn't a penalty then we can put it down to the refereeing mistakes balance being restored.

Nothing we can do about it, it's not as though Portsmouth looked like getting anywhere near us even after we sat back in the second half. They should feel relieved really, if the penalty wasn't given and we were only 2 up at the break, we may not have taken the risk on sitting on our lead if it was only 2 goals, we may have gone out as we did first half and made it it 4 or 5, we were that good :scarf: