Brief Synopsis!!! ( Portsmouth) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! ( Portsmouth)

BlueinPL20

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Oct 14, 2016
So we both wait until monday, if Luton don`t win and we both do, it`s a double celebration. I am going to Nottingham with a few other Pompey Fans. I hope you beat Newport!

Dec 3, 2005
Brilliantly worked goal from Jervis - like most - wish we could go for the 2nd goal - make life easier on the heart.

Still we need ONE more point from a possible 12 points - that shouldn't be difficult - so roll on Monday and lets have Home Park FULL and bouncing!!!

It will NOT be easy on Monday, but we will 'fingers crossed' beat Newport, even though they are fighting for their lives.

Sad to see Torquay in such a mess - they look doomed, sadly

Mar 14, 2009
Tugboat":2arse73l said:
My question is why couldn't we carry on the momentum and directness that we had for the first 20 minutes?

It's as if we just give up, put the white flag up and go deep.

Got to agree. We pressed really well and passed with authority.

After the goal we reverted to type.

Taylor just couldn't hold onto anything and it became attack versus defence.

I thought today would have been a good game for Kennedy. Again, he showed a glimpse of what he was capable of with some quick feet in the box and a shot just missing inside the post. Yet there isn't enough substance from him during 90 mins.

I must say thought Songo was good. Got his head to everything and really committed. McCormick looked shaky with his handling.

When Bradley went off l wasn't sure how we would cope but we did ok. Sokolik lost Chaplin for a free header at the end which he should have at least hit the target but overall Argyle coped well. I was just disappointed we didn't really threaten them in the second half because surely there were spaces behind their defence?

Jervis goal was great. A brilliant cross and wonderful header.

So a good point overall. Good to see Smith back. Let's seal it in style on Monday :scarf:

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
PL2 3DQ":1cja6ztl said:
The Argyle directors have just walked onto the pitch to thank the fans.

The early kick-off has killed the usual promotion finish.

The wait goes on, not many Argyle fans have left the stadium.
As he goes in the directors box,did that include IJN?

Aug 11, 2013
Luke unusually nervy today I thought, and cost us the goal.

Would have taken the point beforehand and very happy tonight with one point away from promotion. Wow.

Won't be easy Monday and wouldn't surprise me if we lost and still went up - would sum up this season.

Hope we'll see Bradley again but looked nasty.

Today proved once again that Taylor cannot play the lone striker role. I'd have swapped him for Garita after 60 mins.

A game we could have won but we're happy with the point

Workmanlike performance. Songo'O my mom.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Luke McCormick - 5
Oscar Threlkeld - 8
Yann Songo'o - 8
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Graham Carey - 6
Matthew Kennedy - 6
Jake Jervis - 7
Ryan Taylor - 5

Vincent Dorel - unused
Jakub Sokolik - 6
Connor Smith - 6
Ryan Donaldson - unused
Craig Tanner - 6
JakeJervis - unused
Paul-Arnold Garita - unused

Aug 15, 2015
Similar thoughts to all of above. Disappointed in how we concede the game to them - we were playing well! You'd think we had been struggling. To revert to sitting behind the ball like that when we were in fair command of the game is bizarre.

Can't fault the players much - just want to see more from Kennedy (guts + commitment), Jervis (utilise his size and speed more and affect the game with greater belief), and see Sarcevic get more involved and fitter. Wwe can sqeeze a lot more out of those three.

Thought Fox was central to everything good we did today and the defence stood strong. All round good stuff.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The wait goes on.

We had the better of the first half and should have been two or three goals up but sat back for the second half and conceded the equaliser when McCormick again fumbled the ball.
In the end we had just 33% of possession but a point against a very average Portsmouth team is ok.

The pitch was heavily watered before the game and the Argyle players were slipping everywhere, maybe it was a ploy to catch us out with Pompey players wearing longer studs and the Argyle players wearing shorter studs.

Jervis took his goal well but didn't do much else, Sawyer was targeted by Pompey and was only finally helped by Kennedy when Adams had a word with him.

Sarcevic had one of his better games and Songo'o was man of the match. McCormick fumbled three saves with one costing a goal.

Bradley was injured early in the game but carried on, he returned for the second half with his leg strapped however after warming up he couldn't continue and was replaced by Sokolik before the second half started.
It would be a shame if Bradley missed the final promotion games.

The atmosphere throughout the game was superb, although it was also a game of phone apps and league table updates.

There was a strange symmetry with this game and the Orient game at Home Park - the same ref, Bradley getting injured and them waiting for Orient to beat Luton today.

With Orient winning almost every Argyle fan stayed on the stadium, the atmosphere was terrific. The players stayed on the pitch for a while before leaving for the dressing room.

The directors came out onto the pitch to thank the fans.

Once Luton equalised the mood changed and fans started to drift away. Sky killed the usual promotion excitement with the early kick-off.

Nevermind we'll do it on Monday.

Manof the Match Songo'o.

McCormick 5, Threlkeld 7, Songo'o, Bradley 7, Sawyer 7, Fox 7, Sarcevic 7, Carey 6, Jervis 6, Kennedy 6, Taylor 5. Subs Sokolik 6, Smith 6, Tanner n/a.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
thoroughly enjoyed the match with the draw being the correct result.shame sonny got injured and he has been a rock.thought yann should have cleared for their tap in but pompey deserved a draw.can't understand why he keeps taking jake off!my ratings;

Luke McCormick - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 10
Yann Songo'o - 8
Sonny Bradley - 8
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 1
Graham Carey - 6
Matthew Kennedy - 6
Jake Jervis - 7
Ryan Taylor - 4

Vincent Dorel - unused
Jakub Sokolik - 6
Connor Smith - 5
Ryan Donaldson - unused
Craig Tanner - 5
JakeJervis - unused

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Jervis the enigma in the team. Guess he has had a good season but like others I just feel there is more than he delivers most games.

To see him at his best, in my view, he needs the ball to run onto. He seems a little hesitant when he receives the ball when static. Well taken goal but despite the confidence boost he then hardly figured.

One who will need more consistency in a higher League if he wants to start more games than he watches from the bench I reckon.

Good positive start from us today, probably surprised them who may have thought we'd keep it tight for first 20. Shows we have the ability to do this Had Kennedy made it two from a good run into the box we may have not reverted to a resolute defensive display in 2nd half.

Nearly there now, although Newport have a lot to play for and have picked up some good results recently so it will be another hard fought game.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Steve Evans":1unznb4b said:
thoroughly enjoyed the match with the draw being the correct result.shame sonny got injured and he has been a rock.thought yann should have cleared for their tap in but pompey deserved a draw.can't understand why he keeps taking jake off!my ratings;

Luke McCormick - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 10
Yann Songo'o - 8
Sonny Bradley - 8
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 1
Graham Carey - 6
Matthew Kennedy - 6
Jake Jervis - 7
Ryan Taylor - 4

Vincent Dorel - unused
Jakub Sokolik - 6
Connor Smith - 5
Ryan Donaldson - unused
Craig Tanner - 5
JakeJervis - unused

Jervis showing versatility in team and on bench. I have replaced Jake with Jake had I been manager. :)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
First half was excellent. Second was poor. A terribly poor goal to concede to deny us promotion. Monday it is! Songo'o seemed to f*ck up for the goal but was the stand out player otherwise!

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Draw a fair result, sitting in the Fratton End half and hour after the game cheering Luton on was one of the more surreal things I've experienced at football. We're both going up, and we both deserve to.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Stunning first 25 minutes, and a good first half.

Second half was disappointing, was it the loss of Sonny or the instructions to defend the lead? Not sure about the Smith sub, seemed to admit the draw was the aim.

Aug 5, 2009
chave":1xdx5moi said:
Draw a fair result, sitting in the Fratton End half and hour after the game cheering Luton on was one of the more surreal things I've experienced at football. We're both going up, and we both deserve to.

Pumpy fans to a tee