Brief Synopsis (Wimbledon) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Wimbledon)

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
just seen the highlights on skysports - what a pass from Carey for the goal! Also, great save from Remi towards the end as well.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Have to agree with everyone about Songo'o, I thought he had his best game for Argyle today and was a clear man of the match even considering Carey's superb second half.

When he plays like he did today he brings a real aggression and bite to the centre of the park that we haven't had since Wotton. The new man's passing is so good too that it makes for for Songo'o not being the greatest user of the ball.

We rode our luck at times today but we definitely deserved the win, and hopefully we're on the mend as a team.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Carey with a De Bruyne-esque pass. Starting to think our survival in this league will be based off of whether or not he keeps firing on all cylinders. Blokes a class act when he's on his game.

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":3hsta4yo said:
Frank_Butcher":3hsta4yo said:
kingobadingo":3hsta4yo said:
So chuffed.

Jervis was superb today and Songo’o was a rock protecting the back four.

The last minute was so tense, especially with I think miller throwing his head on the floor to block a shot. Players are fighting for each other.

Funny isn't it ? DA criticised by some at the start of the matchday thread for playing Jervis up front and taking Songo'o out of defence. Managers in the making ....

Things DA has been criticised for on here in the last few days:
Bringing in another keeper when we've got Michael Cooper (who made two or three good saves on Tuesday so is therefore a capable League One keeper in every department).
Taking the in form Songo'o into midfield when he should be in defence.
Playing Jervis up front when he's awful there, and Blissett who is better is on the bench.

All three decisions quite vital to a desperately fought 3 points.

Posters are far quicker to kick the manager in the ribs for not doing what they would have, than to begrudgingly acknowledge he got a few decisions right.

I am one who has been very critical of Adams over the last month.
What you list above no way makes up for the first 3rd of the season and I will remain critical of his tactics as its dire football.

That being said his dire football got us out of the 4th division and I am a happier man this week after 5 points from 9 but this week no way makes up for the decisions he has made pre season (recruitment) and during the first 3rd of this season.

3 things have improved the team of which one I give him 100%credit for

1. Carey has found his form after a very poor start for obvious reasons.
2. Songo has been superb since he has been picked but lets not forget he was behind a host of players at the beginning of the season and because of poor discipline and injuries he got his chance.
3 Toums has joined (this one I credit DA for) and has been a revelation. We have not a midfielder like him since McHue left.

I will remaim critical of DAs tactics and football until proven otherwise but I am a happier man this week:)

Feb 17, 2017
rsp4":3pg5ql2m said:
Knibbsworth":3pg5ql2m said:
Frank_Butcher":3pg5ql2m said:
kingobadingo":3pg5ql2m said:
So chuffed.

Jervis was superb today and Songo’o was a rock protecting the back four.

The last minute was so tense, especially with I think miller throwing his head on the floor to block a shot. Players are fighting for each other.

Funny isn't it ? DA criticised by some at the start of the matchday thread for playing Jervis up front and taking Songo'o out of defence. Managers in the making ....

Things DA has been criticised for on here in the last few days:
Bringing in another keeper when we've got Michael Cooper (who made two or three good saves on Tuesday so is therefore a capable League One keeper in every department).
Taking the in form Songo'o into midfield when he should be in defence.
Playing Jervis up front when he's awful there, and Blissett who is better is on the bench.

All three decisions quite vital to a desperately fought 3 points.

Posters are far quicker to kick the manager in the ribs for not doing what they would have, than to begrudgingly acknowledge he got a few decisions right.

I am one who has been very critical of Adams over the last month.
What you list above no way makes up for the first 3rd of the season and I will remain critical of his tactics as its dire football.

That being said his dire football got us out of the 4th division and I am a happier man this week after 5 points from 9 but this week no way makes up for the decisions he has made pre season (recruitment) and during the first 3rd of this season.

3 things have improved the team of which one I give him 100%credit for

1. Carey has found his form after a very poor start for obvious reasons.
2. Songo has been superb since he has been picked but lets not forget he was behind a host of players at the beginning of the season and because of poor discipline and injuries he got his chance.
3 Toums has joined (this one I credit DA for) and has been a revelation. We have not a midfielder like him since McHue left.

I will remaim critical of DAs tactics and football until proven otherwise but I am a happier man this week:)

I think you have to give 100% credit to Adams for Carey finding his form. The simple reason for this is that I can imagine Adams had 100% involvement in resigning him.

Jul 6, 2011
Greenblooded1":ats3jnws said:
A great "team" performance.
Songo, Jervis & Carey outstanding.
The new Goalie made a fantastic save tipping the ball into the crossbar to keep us the lead with 10 mins? to go.
Why do we sit back when we take the lead, we had it in the bag always looking in control, then sat back, brought Miller on (WTF) & then hardly got back into their half as they came on to us wave after wave. Wimbledon then had at least 3 good chances in the last 10 mins, not having had 1 the whole game before.
Considering all the players changes, that was an excellent team performance, all involved should take credit.
Crummy ground, glad the real Wimbledon will be getting a new ground soon, more befitting their history.

Agree with this.
Have to say it does disappoint me when argyle start to look good and then start playing deep, which invites pressure onto them. Frankly the kind of football we've been witnessing for a few years now. Still not overly impressed by DA.

Aug 13, 2011
End of the day we won a big 6 pointer. We have another 6 pointer next week v Rochdale. Win that then we are looking good on building an escape route out of the drop zone. That's the bear facts without getting too technical. Had we lost the last 3 we'd have looked dead and buried. Cover over the well. Now there's light appearing in. Great effort over the last week by everyone. Go Greens!!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It will be interesting to see the line-up for the home game against Rochdale.
Songo'o in midfield is great for away games where he is the destroyer but is he the best option for a home game where we need to attack?

Also is Sawyer the best option at right back for a home game where we need attacking width?

I suppose it comes down to tactics and if we sit back, stifle and contain and play on the counter attack then Songo'o and Sawyer will be fine.

Mar 14, 2009
Back to last season's successful template.

It's not pretty, it's quite defensive but somehow that style of football gets points.

Whilst we have seen an improvement the lack of goals is still a major worry. In a higher division l am still uncertain that playing this brand of football can keep you up. For me, you are giving away so much space & possession to the opposition that your basically not stopping them getting their efforts in on goal. You are therefore relying on these sides having an "off day" which to me is asking for trouble.

However, the players are fighting for the manager and while this keeps happening you always have a chance.

Feb 2, 2007
We need to introduce a threat as teams adapt their style again. We started the season a bit “too open” for our relative ability and have had to go back to being more defensive as that obviously didn’t reap rewards.

I’m sure Derek will keep scouring the “fragent” market for a rough diamond.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Metal_Green_Mickey":1qgorgrn said:
Whilst we have seen an improvement the lack of goals is still a major worry. In a higher division l am still uncertain that playing this brand of football can keep you up. For me, you are giving away so much space & possession to the opposition that your basically not stopping them getting their efforts in on goal. You are therefore relying on these sides having an "off day" which to me is asking for trouble.

Totally agree. It's frustrating because when we play a higher line we look so much better and the lone striker is then by definition less alone and actually has people to pass to. It also encourages the passing game, which we're quite good at, because we have little chance continuously lumping the ball long to the one man up front.

We'd have ended yesterday's game far more comfortably if we had continued to occupy their midfield in their own half.

I don't know if there's a fear of being caught on the break as our defence has often been found wanting this season by pacy players with better passing and control than in league two. But on balance we look better at handling breaks than waves of bombardment and both Diagouraga and Songo'o are getting back and across quickly.