Brief Synopsis (Wimbledon) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Wimbledon)

Apr 5, 2008
That's been Adams tactics since he has arrived here.

Sit deep if we score and hoof it to the lone striker.

It. Worked last season ,the problem is he seems to start games negatively,and invite the opposition on to us .

That I don't understand,we never win a game if we go behind look at the stats for this season.

So needs to set up the team to start games in a more attacking formation.

Apr 17, 2013
moles40":1jq08q37 said:
That's been Adams tactics since he has arrived here.

Sit deep if we score and hoof it to the lone striker.

It. Worked last season ,the problem is he seems to start games negatively,and invite the opposition on to us .

That I don't understand,we never win a game if we go behind look at the stats for this season.

So needs to set up the team to start games in a more attacking formation.

This makes sense, certainly at Home Park....

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Anyone there cast any light on where Miller played when he came on?

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2g5g53q9 said:
Back to last season's successful template.

It's not pretty, it's quite defensive but somehow that style of football gets points.

Whilst we have seen an improvement the lack of goals is still a major worry. In a higher division l am still uncertain that playing this brand of football can keep you up. For me, you are giving away so much space & possession to the opposition that your basically not stopping them getting their efforts in on goal. You are therefore relying on these sides having an "off day" which to me is asking for trouble.

However, the players are fighting for the manager and while this keeps happening you always have a chance.

I agree that the fight is there and the players could not be more committed. It's true that we started the season playing more attacking football, which didn't get us any wins apart from Charlton. I think the weaknesses in midfield were the cause of this. Toums and Songo'o have given us a more effective midfield, giving Carey more room to be creative. So we've seen much better in the last three games but I'm with MGM, the problem of playing too deep is still there and we could so easily have conceded late on Saturday if the ball had taken a deflection. You're more at risk if the ball is in the penalty area with bodies everywhere, and the pressure on players is intense. There must surely be a better way to see games out??

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":3ogryatu said:
Frank_Butcher":3ogryatu said:
kingobadingo":3ogryatu said:
So chuffed.

Jervis was superb today and Songo’o was a rock protecting the back four.

The last minute was so tense, especially with I think miller throwing his head on the floor to block a shot. Players are fighting for each other.

Funny isn't it ? DA criticised by some at the start of the matchday thread for playing Jervis up front and taking Songo'o out of defence. Managers in the making ....

Things DA has been criticised for on here in the last few days:
Bringing in another keeper when we've got Michael Cooper (who made two or three good saves on Tuesday so is therefore a capable League One keeper in every department).
Taking the in form Songo'o into midfield when he should be in defence.
Playing Jervis up front when he's awful there, and Blissett who is better is on the bench.

All three decisions quite vital to a desperately fought 3 points.

Posters are far quicker to kick the manager in the ribs for not doing what they would have, than to begrudgingly acknowledge he got a few decisions right.
Hindsight is a powerful tool. I was one of the first posters you took issue with over Cooper. I was in the camp that he should have played. I see no reason to change the view I held before the game. From where you were sat or stood yesterday can you be absolutely certain that Cooper would not have made the interventions that Mathews did? (I have no comment over the other two vital decisions because I did not take issue with them before the game).

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Gritty away smash and grab type victory with regards to getting the goal and protecting that at all costs but we need to find that difference for Home games.

Away teams know they have nothing to lose when they come here and pin us back a bit too easily for comfort.

Mark Pedlar":td7l4ll3 said:
Anyone there cast any light on where Miller played when he came on?

He only had four minutes and the only point I did wonder that and looked both he and Gary Sawyer appeared to be playing on the right side.. perhaps someone more observant can comment. It did seem to be a hurried substitution, never seen anyone put a shirt on so quickly, obviously keen.

Sep 6, 2006
rsp4":kfa0pzu7 said:
Knibbsworth":kfa0pzu7 said:
Frank_Butcher":kfa0pzu7 said:
kingobadingo":kfa0pzu7 said:
So chuffed.

Jervis was superb today and Songo’o was a rock protecting the back four.

The last minute was so tense, especially with I think miller throwing his head on the floor to block a shot. Players are fighting for each other.

Funny isn't it ? DA criticised by some at the start of the matchday thread for playing Jervis up front and taking Songo'o out of defence. Managers in the making ....

Things DA has been criticised for on here in the last few days:
Bringing in another keeper when we've got Michael Cooper (who made two or three good saves on Tuesday so is therefore a capable League One keeper in every department).
Taking the in form Songo'o into midfield when he should be in defence.
Playing Jervis up front when he's awful there, and Blissett who is better is on the bench.

All three decisions quite vital to a desperately fought 3 points.

Posters are far quicker to kick the manager in the ribs for not doing what they would have, than to begrudgingly acknowledge he got a few decisions right.

I am one who has been very critical of Adams over the last month.
What you list above no way makes up for the first 3rd of the season and I will remain critical of his tactics as its dire football.

That being said his dire football got us out of the 4th division and I am a happier man this week after 5 points from 9 but this week no way makes up for the decisions he has made pre season (recruitment) and during the first 3rd of this season.

3 things have improved the team of which one I give him 100%credit for

1. Carey has found his form after a very poor start for obvious reasons.
2. Songo has been superb since he has been picked but lets not forget he was behind a host of players at the beginning of the season and because of poor discipline and injuries he got his chance.
3 Toums has joined (this one I credit DA for) and has been a revelation. We have not a midfielder like him since McHue left.

I will remaim critical of DAs tactics and football until proven otherwise but I am a happier man this week:)

Exactly. One win scrappy win and Adams is best thing since sliced bread again. Could easily have gone the other way. And I am none the wiser as to what happens when the opposition scores first. - Lost every game this season apart form 1. Those tactics on Saturday work against rubbish forward lines just as they did last season. Hanging on for grim death. But all too often this season it hasn't worked.

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
looking at the highlights, their header with the last kick of the game was two of their players going for the same ball 6 yards out from goal. On another day that was a nailed on goal and would have been an absolute heart breaker.

Those 2 points could be absolutely massive at the end of the season, and psychologically mean everything to us at the moment. Maybe lady luck is turning our way?

Jul 12, 2016
Few fans are enamoured with the football being played but in our current plight 3 points is the most important result.Expect more dire back to the walls tactics as DA is incapable of playing any other way.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
oldage":jw5vnn8x said:
Few fans are enamoured with the football being played but in our current plight 3 points is the most important result.Expect more dire back to the walls tactics as DA is incapable of playing any other way.

I'm really not sure we saw dire back to the walls tactics on Saturday. After we scored, possibly we went a little too deep. But up to that point we had created a few chances and the atmosphere in the away terrace was pretty bouyant.