Brief synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
Agree with the above but would like to add a comment about team selection . Why are players who have proved themselves to be total crap selected to play for the team? I refer of course to the likes of Blizzard , Parsons , Morgan and Enoch (sorry cannot remember his last name ) . Sureley all or these players will be long gone soon , along with most of the others , so why have they been selected today ?
Don't look at the players Mr Sheridan look at yourself and admit to yourself that you are not cut out for this type of work.
Please leave our club now and take the whole of your backroom staff with you.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
That today was worse than watching any pre season garbage. Utter tosh. I left work early, only got to Plymouth at 3.15. Missed our goal and then watched a recent non league side pull us apart. Pathetic. No passion no nothing frankly. Ive backed this lot all season but today was an utter waste of 30 quid. Wont make that mistake on saturday. I wouldnt watch that if I was paid.

Bring in Moyes. Hes good at keeping teams in 7th!!

Jun 26, 2006
I couldn't tell what the formation and tactics were and I am not sure the players could either .
No real plan . No real idea.
Please go back to 4-4-2 and play the players who truly want to play and play them in their correct positions. We haven't gone from being a half decent , competitive team to this rubbish for no reason.

Sep 23, 2005
Well that was a good read. PL2 pretty much spot on as usual and Cobi not far off the mark. As for 1 point for Conor oh come on Steve Evans give it a rest.
Still on my way home but if it wasn't for the excellence of my pre match and post match that would have been a total washout.
Come on JS it is time to accept a little responsibility for what goes on out there on the pitch.

Your players and your tactics.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
In each of the last three seasons in League Two we've lost eight home games, if Hartlepool beat us on Saturday it will be nine defeats at home.
This season only six teams have lost more games at home than us.

For away games only the top four teams have won more games on the road than us.

It's clear where the problem lies.

We've drawn just 10 games, the second worst record in L2, we haven't turned defeats into draws, we've been incapable of scrapping and fighting. Not once this season have we won a game after going behind.

Nov 9, 2011
Glad I've stopped going been 3 times this season normally go 15 home and 3/4 away.
I have enough of football, sick of it not just the poo at Home Park.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Well today was absolutely awful, bar one moment of real quality from the captain. It was evident the players were trying harder to keep the ball on the deck, as there was far less aimless hoofing, but the problem we faced is our movement was poor and we were unable to create any real openings. As it stands, we don't have the right players to play the football Sheridan obviously wants us too.

Player ratings:

Cole - 5 - Wasn't really at fault for a lot, although i'm yet to see a replay of the second goal. His kicking was erratic though.
Parsons - 3 - When he first joined, he was so keen to get forward. He's totally lost that.
Blizzard - 1 - Dear god.
Wotton - 1 - Think it's time to hang up the boots. Shocking.
Nelson - 3 - Fantastic this year, but very shaky today.
Gurrieri - 1 - Can't even kick a ball in a straight line. Every clearance hacked to touch.
Hourihane - 6 - Not particularly great, also not terrible. Bonus marks for a truly stunning strike.
Young - 2 - Terrible.
Banton - 6 - A lot better today, the best he's been since returning. Chased and pressed hard, more confident on the ball. Hopefully signs of what is to come from him.
Alessandra - 5 - Worked hard, but things didn't quite come off for him today. His injury a few weeks ago really knocked the wind out of our sails.
Reid - 4 - Worked hard, tried to create, just couldn't do it all alone.

Morgan - 4 - Not sure how he didn't connect with that cross.
Showumni - 4 - Meh. Hope we don't sign him.
Blanchard - 4 - Denied by a good save. Other than that, not a lot to say.

A real shame how we've tailed off in recent weeks. I said at the beginning of the season I expected us to finish in the top half, with a playoff push of some kind. So far we've achieved that and hopefully we can at least get a couple positive results on the board to finish off.

It'll be really interesting to see what Sheridan does in the summer, but I think if we get it right we have a very good core to our squad that can be built on. Especially if some of our younger players can start to make a proper step up.

Disappointed with recent weeks overall, but this season has been a damn sight better than the last five and i'm very thankful for that. I actually feel like the club might finally be going vaguely in the right direction.

On to Saturday.. can't wait to see what the Hartlepool fans have lined up for there end of season fancy dress outing.

N

NorfolkGreen

I posted this morning that the players were "on the beach" and we won't win another game this season, if that happens it's the ability to self motivate and be motivated that real worries me.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":39iocxpq said:
In each of the last three seasons in League Two we've lost eight home games, if Hartlepool beat us on Saturday it will be nine defeats at home.

We've drawn just 10 games, the second worst record in L2, we haven't turned defeats into draws, we've been incapable of scrapping and fighting. Not once this season have we won a game after going behind.

A lack of guts/leadership is clear plus a continued inability to perform immediately after half time. Do these highly paid professional coaching staff simply not see what we all see: the lacksadaisical drifting out for the second half is followed swiftly by the performance of a pub team. Today's restart would have been comical had it not been so inept. What is the performance manager bringing to the table, what are the coaching staff saying during the break?
The whole set up smacks of amateurism.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Green Rhino":199r5sfi said:
PL2 3DQ":199r5sfi said:

A lack of guts/leadership is clear plus a continued inability to perform immediately after half time. Do these highly paid professional coaching staff simply not see what we all see: the lacksadaisical drifting out for the second half is followed swiftly by the performance of a pub team. Today's restart would have been comical had it not been so inept. What is the performance manager bringing to the table, what are the coaching staff saying during the break?
The whole set up smacks of amateurism.

Yep. The Wimbledon players had one of their coaching staff out on the pitch warming them up just before the second half started. We kicked the ball out of play from kick-off of the second half. :facepalm:

Too many times this season we have started the second half badly.

Jan 16, 2005
Why would James Brent trust John Sheridan to get it right the second time around.
This was his team he picked the players, he trained them, he chose the tactics and he failed.

What has changed? He has the same lack of eye for a player the same tactics and the same coaches?
Sheridan blames everyone and everything but himself.
If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

Apr 3, 2013
My thoughts after today's game:

1) Another toothless performance, the only positives being that Banton actually had a better game and Conor's goal was a sublime strike. All of the fancy triangular passing that the players do during the warm up is hilarious though, as they seldom implement it during the match. What's more, it irritated the hell out of me (as it always does after a defeat) when the players strolled around the pitch at the end of the game to 'applaud' the fans. What was the applause for? The fact that I've travelled two hours to watch them fail to play for the shirt, and now need to dash back across Central Park for the return leg of my journey? (Note to the players: if you're going to play so poorly then please don't patronise me with applause; hanging your heads in shame would be much more appropriate.)

2) Frustrated with Sheridan for two reasons: firstly, he showed no passion whatsoever, leaning on the side of the dugout with his hands in his pockets and looking thoroughly disinterested. He could at least act like he cares by getting a bit more animated and attempting to shout instructions to players. After all, he is paid a salary; his position is not voluntary. Secondly, if the last few games of the season now provide an opportunity to look at some young/alternative prospects for next season, why on earth did he bring on our short-term loanee Enoch? Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the 'Sheridan Out' camp (yet), as I'm unconvinced that we could attract anyone better to Plymouth whilst we're still in League 2.

3) When reflecting on our season as a whole, a few things spring to mind. Yes, it's lovely that we're not in a relegation scrap, but our performances have more often than not been horrendous to watch, particularly at home. I enjoyed the Port Vale, Morecambe, and Chesterfield games, but is just a few decent performances enough? Worryingly, what we have demonstrated is that we are poor at getting motivated when it matters. Our lacklustre attitude meant that we were humiliated against a fiery and 'up-for-it' Exeter. It seems pathetic that the lads couldn't get motivated for our biggest derby game of the season. Furthermore, our greatest potential motivator to finish the season well was the opportunity to make the play-offs, but not even that could motivate our gormless lot!

4) Finally, as much as I'm disappointed with the attitude and actions of both our players and manager, I will still be there for the final home game on Saturday. Not because the players or manager deserve it, but because the club, MY club, Plymouth Argyle, will always be bigger than any personnel. The players and manager are merely passing through time like a fart in the wind, but Argyle is something that we must ensure will always endure. After all, Argyle is in my blood.

May 22, 2006
Yep. The Wimbledon players had one of their coaching staff out on the pitch warming them up just before the second half started. We kicked the ball out of play from kick-off of the second half.

Was in the car with my son this afternoon listening to football on Talksport. One match update on Championship game (Wigan at Burnley?) reported how poorly the away team we're playing. They let in a goal and then "unbelievably kicked the ball into touch from the restart." I said to my son "but Argyle always seem to do that." Something's just don't change regardless of the manager.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
Player Ratings:

Cole - 5 - Should have come off his line but rarely are 1 on 1s missed so not his fault really.
Blizzard - 2 - Not good at all.
Wotton - 1 - Just retire, it's time.
Nelson - 3 - Shaky, not himself I didn't think but then look at the other two.
Gurrieri - 2 - Poor all round, didn't get going.
Parsons - 1 - I like him but clearly wasn't fit and didn't look mentally prepared at all.
Hourihane - 6 - Worked hard, ran his socks off and one of only two players that looked like doing anything.
Young - 3 - Poor, unusually careless with the ball.
Banton - 6 - Never seen him work so hard or fight in the air or tackle and chase after balls. It didn't all pay off for him today but good signs and proof there really is a player in there. Think it shows that he is willing to be a team player and that he loves the club, still needs a bit more fitness but whole of pre-season for that.
Alessandra - 2 - Anonymous.
Reid - 3 - Tried but with little effect.

Blanchard - 3 - Meh.
Showumni - 2 - Surely only put on for comical value??
Morgan - 2 - - Assuming he was put on to take the pee out of the fans?

All in all, not a proud day to be a pilgrim.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
What makes me angry is apparent lack of motivation, drive and hunger. :furious:
Until the 60th minute of todays games (thats when Saffend scored) IF we had won we would have been 4 points adrift with 2 to go. It also left 30 mins for Saffend to lose so we had a reason to win - just in case.