Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The last time I was this annoyed by our own manager was Williamson away at Crewe. He didn't know his best side, he made the wrong substitutions and stood by players when they clearly were having a poor run. Looks very familiar.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Losing patience with Banton. Seems to think of himself as a big football star, when he's been largely rubbish since he came back.

I'm beginning to lean towards getting rid.

As for Sheridan - he'll know these two results aren't anywhere near good enough, and that improvements have to be made, it's as simple as that.

Johndelve":1pn611oy said:
Beaten by a better team , no complaints about the result .

At best we were clueless, no threat and no alternative to Reuben .

I simply don't see what style of football we play . We are not a passing side , we don't just hoof it , just looks like we run around a lot and get nowhere .
Feel sorry for Nathan Thomas , may as well not turn up on Saturday . If he doesn't get a look in when we are that poor he never will.
Dismal crowd of 5,500 which is likely to be less on Saturday based on that performance .
Still relatively early days , but in my opinion we are a distinctly average side , middle table again.
This!!

Nov 16, 2006
I know he's "one of our own" and all that crap, but anybody who gives Banton (who was dismal in the first half but improved a little and put a couple of decent crosses over after the break) less points than the absolutely abysmal Harvey is obviously adding a few points to Tyler's score for his being a Janner.

The worst performance I can remember seeing since Fletcher and probably the outright worst under Sheridan. Can't take any positives from it. Their goal might have been a foul on McCormick, I thought it was at first watch but I'd have to see it again. Not bothering with detailed ratings tonight.

McCormick - 6

Mellor - 7
Nelson - 5
Hartley - 6
McHugh - 5

Norburn - 3
O'Connor - 5

Smalley - 4
Harvey - 5
Banton - 5

Reid - 5

Subs: Cox 6, Purrington 4, Allen 6.

Can only really say Mellor can come out with any professional credit/pride from tonight. Totally isolated all the time.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Just a bit rubbish really. I'm not one to call for the manager's head all the time but I do find myself repeatedly coming back to the thought that Sheridan simply isn't the manager who will lead Argyle out of this division. It's just not happening.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Pasties and Cider":177s46r9 said:
The last time I was this annoyed by our own manager was Williamson away at Crewe. He didn't know his best side, he made the wrong substitutions and stood by players when they clearly were having a poor run. Looks very familiar.

Ah that famous afternoon where Williamson sarcastically applauded the away fans at Gresty Road. At least, we were in the 2nd tier then.

Very disappointed to hear all the negativity after a decent performance at Morecambe. Perhaps a Palace loanee will bring us something extra in the final third.

Nov 16, 2006
I think we were going for the world record of how many players can be played out of position in one match.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
That was utterly dreadful and sadly so so predictable.
Once again Argyle came out with absolutely zero impetus as the home team and had one tactic - lump it forward to a woefully isolated Reid. Wycombe even gave us a kmasterclass on how to string passes together during injury time, seeing out with blissful ease.
Thing is though, Sheridan is under absolutely no pressure and will see out the season and his contract whilst Argyle head towards another season in this division and probably a fourth consecutive home defeat to Wycombe Wanderers next year. But hey that's OK right, cos those eejits who follow other teams or do other things with their time / money don't know what its like to celebrate a last minute equaliser against Stevenage?!
Well it's the Roller Derby for me on Saturday. Take 20 civic points off me but I'd rather watch someone I care about doing something they love and makes them proud of Plymouth than another 90 minutes of Banton bottling challenges and Sheridan lounging against the touchline watching the opposition walk their way to 3 easy points.
There's a row in front of us where not one spectator talks to each other or shows any iota of being bothered by what's going on on the park..they just sit there, meekly watching the unfolding dirge, and that says everything about this club. Immune to mediocrity. Numb.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Another game of two halves from inconsistent Argyle.

With Morgan and Alessandra missing Sheridan tried out a new formation, sort of a 4-2-2-2 with O'Connor and Norburn in front of the back four, Harvey and Banton infront of them but slightly wider and Reid and Smalley upfront.

From the early minutes Wycombe closed us down, hassled us and worked really hard to stop us playing. The result was that Norburn couldn't get onto the ball and pass it and we were left with Nelson and Hartley hitting it long to Reid, this sometimes worked with Reid collecting the pass and creating his own chance but mainly Wycombe shut us down and did a job on us.

Any attacks we had petered out with Smalley often straying off-side, the player with the ball at his feet would look up to thread a ball through but had to stop, check and pass backwards and the momentum was gone. Poor from Smalley who seems to play better in the wide areas.

The goal was a soft one to concede from a corner and it had to be Hayes.

Sheridan changed it around for the second half and threw out Plan A. Mellor went to the right wing, O'Connor went to right-back and Purring replaced McHugh at left-back, while Harvey pushed forward to partner Reid in a 4-4-2 formation.

This proved a better option and finally we put Wycombe under pressure. We had two good shouts for a penalty, first when Reid was pushed and secondly when Harvey was physically assaulted but the ref gave nothing.

Mellor did produce some good runs, although he does better running from deep from his right-back position so I can't see him playing again on the wing very soon.

The Wycombe players slowed things down whenever they could although they were not in the Stevenage league of time wasting.
Unfortunately we couldn't convert our pressure into goals and McCormick still had to make a couple of saves.

Cox, who was booked soon after he came on, was lucky not to pick up a second yellow and instead he received a long talking to from the ref.

We ran out of steam and ideas and the game limped along to a predictable Wycombe win.

So much for an unbeaten home run.
We were poor in the first half and surrendered the game to Wycombe, perhaps the players were rocked by the absence of Morgan and Alessandra and the new formation.
Norburn had a poor game, he just couldn't get on the ball to make things happen, although it was strange that he was replaced by Allen in a like-for-like substitution when Thomas would have been the better option when chasing a game.

Banton blew hot and cold, brilliant in one instance and a Sunday league player in the next instance, he's very short on confidence.

If it wasn't for Reid I doubt if we would have any shot on target, if only we had another Reid to score from the chances and crosses he created.

Harvey had a good 20 minutes of the second half but was a passenger for the rest of the game.
Our two best players were Nelson and Hartley but even they should shoulder some blame for gifting a soft goal from a corner.

Sheridan has proven this season that he can change tactics, the problem now is that he waits until half time and by then the damage has been done, including the mindset of the players. We need him to change things during the first half and react early.

Back to the drawing board.

McCormick 6, Mellor 6, Nelson 7, Hartley 7, McHugh 5, Banton 5, Norburn 4, O'Connor 5, Harvey 4, Smalley 3, Reid 7, Purrington 6, Cox 6, Allen 5.

Sheridan 4.

Entertainment 5.

Jun 14, 2004
Saltash
Harvey,Banton very poor.

Wycombe well drilled and looked a fit decent team,Hayes played well and I just wonder what he could've done for us if he was match fit last season.

Thought we had a penalty denied,ref shocking.

Argyle were very very poor,poor crowd but with European football on the box its what I expected.

Lets move on COYG

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agree, we run around a lot, pass the ball between the back four, but create very little. We are just too slow in midfield, seem to lack the confidence/skill to run and pass into space, and are generally lacking in ooomph. JS doesn't inspire me, I think older managers are stuck in a rut. Chris Hargreaves would be a realistic and achievable replacement, wouldn't he? Of the players, Nelson continues to impress and Mellor is decent. Hartley too, Reid was hemmed in but tried his best and the rest, meh

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Luke McCormick - 2
Kelvin Mellor - 7
Curtis Nelson - 8
Peter Hartley - 8
Carl McHugh - 1
Anthony O'Connor - 1
Ollie Norburn - 1
Tyler Harvey - 8
Jason Banton - 1
Dean Smalley - 0
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Ben Purrington - 2
Aaron Bentley - unused
Lee Cox - 1
River Allen - not fair to rate him
Dominic Blizzard - unused
Nathan Thomas - unused
argyle second to the ball all match long.wycombe snapping at our heels on the rare occasion we had the ball.i thought hartley ,nelson and harvey did well and reid slogged his guts out again.i would dismiss the whole of the coaching staff tonight as the body language of the majority of the players tonight spelled " couldn't care less about this club.the manager don't so why should i"!resign tonight mr sheridan and take the abysmal coaching army with you.the players fitness was nowhere near as good as wycombes either