Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

May 1, 2011
IJN":12kwhu35 said:
What is needed is so, so obvious, but still he sticks to that system.

Guess your Sheridan over Warnock ranting looks foolish now...one win at Luton does not make a season.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
ealinggreen":9h93frjp said:
Super Luke appeared at fault for the goal,did he punch it into the net or just miss it?We could still be playing and not score,good effort by Nelson who tried to lift the team by pure endeavour,Mellor also played well.The rest were crap.Not sure where we are going,but if Ruben gets injured,we could be up sh;t creek.

This bit is important. As I said earlier in the thread, Reuben ran and ran and didn't stop working but any goalscorer still needs the help of his teammates and that just wasn't there; Harvey was poor (lacked creativity big game; does he really expect to score by just booting the ball at a defender?), as was Banton, as was Smalley and then there wasn't really a right-hand side (Mellor did well but says it all if you're needing him to create anything).

May 1, 2011
PL2 3DQ said:
Against Exeter it worked with Harvey playing just behind Reid, so given the withdrawals of Morgan and Alessandra why didn't Sheridan go with a formation they players know against Wycombe, with Harvey behind Reid and Banton and Smalley out wide?

Instead we had a new strange formation and it was obvious the players didn't know what they were doing, Wycombe took advantage and scored what proved to be the winning goal.[/quote

Maybe it worked largely in part because Exeter are a dire side who already look doomed.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Just got in, having taken a new neighbour from Scotland, who was a Partick Thistle fan to Argyle for the first time. He was not impressed and nor was I. Argyle gave away the ball too much directly to WW. Banton is scared to put his foot in, but at least he made himself available and had 2 goal bound shots deflected by defenders. We were anonymous in mid field and I am sorry to say the game passed by Tyler Harvey. I honestly would have preferred to have seen Smalley continue upfront in the second half. With a performance like that it will be a miracle if Argyle end the season in the play-offs. I just hope a loan player in substitute of Bray can be discovered to bring more attacking quality in support of Reid.

And so to Saturday and the Monkey Hangers. Can Alessandra play, because he is needed for his ball control in advanced positions.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Bristol Rich":v91005tz said:
PL2 3DQ":v91005tz said:
Against Exeter it worked with Harvey playing just behind Reid, so given the withdrawals of Morgan and Alessandra why didn't Sheridan go with a formation they players know against Wycombe, with Harvey behind Reid and Banton and Smalley out wide?

Instead we had a new strange formation and it was obvious the players didn't know what they were doing, Wycombe took advantage and scored what proved to be the winning goal.[/quote

Maybe it worked largely in part because Exeter are a dire side who already look doomed.

But they are just 4 points behind Argyle.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
What an awful night !

Straight from the team selection and warm up I knew we were getting nothing from this game.

What was JS thinking p1551ng about with the team like that. We were all over the place and looked more like a team fighting relegation in an away game against the league leaders.

Too many lightweight players in the team and god knows what shape were trying to play. The players didn't know for sure and JS simply does not know what to do

I'm beginning to lose patience with him now and think he definitely lost the plot tonight.

God help us if we don't sort it out soon. I thought we had a chance of the playoffs at the start of the season but now I'm beginning to worry how close to the drop zone we will end up.
Don't think we are bad enough to go down but have to say its extremely disappointing that a team our size is struggling so bad in the 4th division

Sep 23, 2005
Green Neil":3cmwxsno said:
I know he's "one of our own" and all that crap, but anybody who gives Banton (who was dismal in the first half but improved a little and put a couple of decent crosses over after the break) less points than the absolutely abysmal Harvey is obviously adding a few points to Tyler's score for his being a Janner.
Exactly

Getting fed up with the scape goating of Banton. He was no worse than so many others in a totally abject team performance.

Harvey, the golden boy, was plain awful but I didn't hear him being subjected to the abuse that Banton has to take. What exactly is barracking our own player going to achieve?

That I am being drawn into comparing worst performances sums up what a miserable night that was. Totally fed up, never mind I'm sure our charismatic manager will cheer me up............sigh

P

PASTIE

jollygreenjohn":278y3ql7 said:
Green Neil":278y3ql7 said:
I know he's "one of our own" and all that crap, but anybody who gives Banton (who was dismal in the first half but improved a little and put a couple of decent crosses over after the break) less points than the absolutely abysmal Harvey is obviously adding a few points to Tyler's score for his being a Janner.
Exactly

Getting fed up with the scape goating of Banton. He was no worse than so many others in a totally abject team performance.

Harvey, the golden boy, was plain awful but I didn't hear him being subjected to the abuse that Banton has to take. What exactly is barracking our own player going to achieve?

That I am being drawn into comparing worst performances sums up what a miserable night that was. Totally fed up, never mind I'm sure our charismatic manager will cheer me up............sigh

Yes to this! Banton hesitated, dithered and frustrated but tried to create and to avoid giving the ball away. Harvey sauntered around with an arrogant strut, barely completed a pass and punted pointlessly optimistic shots into crowds of legs. I would have taken him off, given Banton a chance to get off the wing and put Thomas on instead of Allen. And that would have been my act of desperation on a desperate night.

C

Cobi Budge.

Steve Evans, why on earth does McCormick get 2/10? :crazy:

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Well that was almost another re run of the Stevenage match. From start to finish we were awful. Even the warm up we look amateur. Our players wonder around having a gentle kick about. Wycombe players being well drilled and being put through their paces. For a home side we look so negative. The defenders don't want to bring the ball forward. The midfielders dont want to get in the box when were going forward. Its bloody painful. Wycombes keeper, apart from being a complete prat, had nothing to do. That is just not good enough. Theres no chance of promotion with the way we play.

Fair play to Wycombes following. Small but very vocal. Thats how to support your side away from home. As fans we could take notes from tonight.

More inconsistency again.
A really good home win and performance against southend and then this.
Following on from the ECFC win and stevenage gash. We are way too up
and down again just like the last eight or so home games i watched at
the end of last season.
In my opinion there are too many tactical/formation/personnel changes going on.
Tonight in the first half i think it was a kind of 4222 with banton wide
in there somewhere. Harvey in the hole and smalley up front with reid.
Totally different to what had worked well against southend. Then in the second half
we had a sort of 31411 with mellor and banton wide and harvey again in the hole
but supporting reid more.
What with the 4141/4231/4123 already used this season how are these players ever
going to gel if they dont have a settled formation to get used to.
To be fair to sheridan i thought we definately missed allessandra and morgan
in our attacking play tonight. Smalley and harvey are not good enough replacements on
tonights showing.
Also i noted towards the end tonight, some players "heads dropping", which isnt a
good sign so early in a season.
Good managers usually bounce back so lets see if we rebound on saturday.
Negatives.
1.We are trying to pass the football but we sure werent good at it tonight.
2.Soft corner goal conceded after defending well at least 4 previous identically driven
corners(well taken mind).
3.Unlike theirs our corners and crosses were awful.
4.Banton needs a rest as a winger. I would try him behind reid as he can then get into
and influence our game a bit more which he sure isnt doing out wide at present.
5.Young tyler had good opportunities to create tonight and although there is
potential there he was sadly lacking tonight.
Positives.
1.The defence was reasonably sound again. Nelson my mom.
2.We are trying to pass the football.
3.Kelvin mellor is starting to look a really good footballer.
Overall this team is too inconsistent. The positive is that there is some
really good footballers in it. So for me given a certain amount of time
a good manager should be able to succeed with these players at this level.
So there must be consistency soon please, especially at home, to keep us
natives happy and content .

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Banton is hopeless out on the left. Waste of time. Mcormick had a very shakey game tonight. The midfield is all over the place. Nelson is a class above the rest of the side.