Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

L

lewjam14

if we played a better team then things would be lot different, cant really judge a performance against poo team like hartlepool

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
after the abject misery of tuesday this was quite refreshing.a really well worked goal and good finish by morgan who looks more of a threat playing wide than when he had to play centre forward when reuben got injured.mellor had another very good match and purrington slotted in very well with good overlapping.nelson and hartley are a great pairing and hopefully the latter is not too seriously injured but McHugh came on and filed in well.cox,o'connor and blizzard in particular were very effective,i would like to see cox and o'connor try some shots but i am mindful of the division we are in.reuben was playing well before his injury and i think he will struggle to be fit for next week.alessandra irritates me greatly,ineffective and how did he miss that last minute chance from the perfectly weighted pass by argyles wunderkind tyler harvey.to lewis' credit he is surprised he got awarded man of the match.
not quite sure at the moment who to vote for for man of the match but nathan thomas is close.excellent wing play and a very brave finish from this underrated young man who also forced a great save from a chip into the top corner.i am pleased we have won.my ratings;
Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 7
Curtis Nelson - 8
Peter Hartley - 8
Anthony O'Connor - 7
Ben Purrington - 7
Lee Cox - 7
Dominic Blizzard - 9
Marvin Morgan - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 3
Reuben Reid - 7

Substitutes:
James Bittner - unused
Carl McHugh - 6
Aaron Bentley - unused
Ollie Norburn - unused
River Allen - unused
Tyler Harvey - 6
Nathan Thomas - 8

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
graiser":2k2sflrq said:
You can only play what's stuck in front of you, sounds like you'd been happier if we'd lost then we could have all got in moaning overdrive :facepalm:
Spot on Graiser.

Some unbelievable posts by those who are now sat at home with head in hands mumbling ''we're doomed, I say, we're doomed'' I actually feel sorry for you all! :facepalm: If the team are not performing on all 4 cylinders AND get a 2-0 win then I'm happy with that.

Before all the amateur statto's come on - We are 3 points better off than last season after 9 games which over 46 games is 15 points better off = top 7 Cheer up its Xmas soon and you can really be a bah humbug. :sad:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think it's interesting that Blizzard seems to be making a much better contribution as an attacking midfielder whereas I think most people, myself included, had assumed he was more of a defensive player.

It's also funny how everyone now seems to love Morgan. I've always thought he had something to offer when fit, and now he's proving it, particularly when he is out on the left.

Thomas made a good contribution but it does amuse me how he is being fan-worshipped like he is Ronaldo.

Postey - I noticed some of O'Connor's hissy-fits too. He had a right strop at one point in the second half when McCormick didn't throw the ball to him.

W

Wilfredo

1985nhangingon":2qru22sr said:
Frank_Butcher":2qru22sr said:
A pretty decent first 20 minutes but we lost our way after the first goal. All the zip went out of our attack as we played patient build-up, typically failing in the final third.

Hartley was stupid IMO. He had clearly strained/ pulled something when stretching to head back to McCormick. He should have signalled to the bench immediately - you don't run those off. Sadly it could now result in a longer absence than necessary.

Thomas did well in his attacking cameo, but while others will no doubt get excited this for me is what he is about. He did nothing defensively and his game is just not rounded enough to justify a starting berth. Personally I think his destiny is as an impact sub unless he can build more into his defensive game.

MoM for me would be Morgan on the strength of his first-half performance.
People seem obsessed with Thomas and defending,ya prob looking to see if he runs back and helps out just cos Sheridan has put the idea in ya head,he did very well and we didnt look any weaker when he came in defence but a lot better in attack,well played Thomas
:iagree:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
We desperately needed 3 points after Tuesday night and we got them, which is all that really matters.

As an observation, Hartlepool were poor and wasted a number of good openings when a better side would have punished us, but you can only play the team in front of you. We have to build on this and get something next week at Accrington.

In a bizarre sort of way Sheridan was fortunate today in one respect with Reid's injury because it meant he had to bring on Thomas and move Morgan inside in order to maintain the shape of the team.

Pleased for Thomas because he was under a bit of pressure with the calls for him to be picked and all that, but he responded really well and for once, an Argyle sub made a telling impact. But it is easier to do that when you are brought on in the 46th minute rather than the 86th.

Also, it was really good to see someone actually looking so comfortable playing in a wide position. Funny how you seem to get the best out of people just by playing them in a position where they look and feel comfortable.

1985nhangingon

If he played all the players were they are strongest then we would be top 3 imo

Apr 13, 2013
Cotswolds
demportdave":3ln0t875 said:
We desperately needed 3 points after Tuesday night and we got them, which is all that really matters.

As an observation, Hartlepool were poor and wasted a number of good openings when a better side would have punished us, but you can only play the team in front of you. We have to build on this and get something next week at Accrington.

In a bizarre sort of way Sheridan was fortunate today in one respect with Reid's injury because it meant he had to bring on Thomas and move Morgan inside in order to maintain the shape of the team.

Pleased for Thomas because he was under a bit of pressure with the calls for him to be picked and all that, but he responded really well and for once, an Argyle sub made a telling impact. But it is easier to do that when you are brought on in the 46th minute rather than the 86th.

Also, it was really good to see someone actually looking so comfortable playing in a wide position. Funny how you seem to get the best out of people just by playing them in a position where they look and feel comfortable.

A good post DD especially the last paragraph
ITS NOT DIFFICULT MR SHERIDAN!!

C

Cobi Budge.

Marvin Morgan isn't a CF, he is much better when he's on the left and can link with Reid, showed that again today.

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
Crazy what some people expect, this is League 2 football not the Champions League! An efficient performance by Argyle and a clean sheet which is always good. The pressure was on Sheridan to get the team selection correct after Tuesday and he did, a nicely balanced 4-3-3 with Purrington, despite still not being perfect looking a lot more like a natural fullback. The first half was a lot better than the second, we created plenty of chances and could have been more than 1-0 up, and Hartlepool nearly punished us after the break as we seemed to struggle without Reid. However we eventually found our feet and the impressive Thomas killed the game off. His willingness to run at the defence and be able to cross or cut inside means he should get a lot more chances in that advanced winger role. Special mentions also to Morgan for his first half performance and Nelson for a typically assured performance.

McCormick- 7
Mellor- 6
Nelson- 8
Hartley- 7
Purrington- 6
O'Connor- 6
Cox- 7
Blizzard- 7
Alessandra- 6
Morgan- 7
Reid- 6

Thomas- 8
McHugh- 7

Good managers usually bounce back so credit john sheridan. He needs to confirm it now by his team
reproducing this kind of performance at home park on a more regular basis. Away from home i couldnt
give a fig what we do. Winning and playing well in home games is the way to win me and other critics over.
More importantly, it would result in much needed higher gates for PAFC.
The formation this time was a 4123 which he stuck with all game. The return of allesandra and morgan
playing wide outside of reid made a huge difference. Also the midfield 3, of oconnor in front of the back 4
with cox and blizzard ahead of him roaming the midfield areas, were outstanding.
The defence was reasonably sound although hartlepool did look a poor team. Unlike stevenage and wycombe
they hardly ever pressed us especially our back 4 and we were able to pass the ball around at our leisure
most of the time.
The first goal was a rare morgan goal which he took really well on his left side. The second a counter attack
with thomas put through one on one by blizzard which he slipped past their keeper.
Positives.
1.The team bounced back after tuesday and played some nice possession football and controlled the game more
because of it. Special mention to blizzard who was involved in most of our best passages of play. My mom.
The best i have seen him play by some distance. Very good at linking our play. Always wanting the ball and
always on the move giving players options.
2.Another clean sheet for wottsie. Nelson was awesome as usual. Thats the first time i have seen purrington
for a whole game and he did very well. So did mchugh at CB when he came on. Not so dominating in the air but
looks like he reads the game well. A mention for mccormack as well for some important timely saves.
3.All of the players, even the ones who came on, looked comfortable and effective in their roles within
this formation. The width we had with morgan, allesandra and thomas wide created the space for us to pass the ball
more. There was still some launched and some misplaced but overall we were much better on the ball today.
Negatives.
1.Obviously, the injuries to reid and hartley. Please, please, please dont let them be serious. Especially
after the bray and lecointe sad news.
2.Too many crosses from our left side were daisy cutters and not beating the first defender or near post.
Mainly thomas and before him banton doing the same at the byline. How about a chip to the far post now and again.
Hopefully this is the turning point now, although i will need to see us play well and beat another high tempo
"pressing" type team first. Then i might feel more comfortable that a visit to home park is likely to be an
enjoyable experience like today rather than the nightmarish tuesday evenings recently
Well done to the manager and players today though. PAFC is back climbing that ladder again.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
A performance that was average at best but I'll take a win however it comes. Hartlepool gave up after 2-0 and just let Thomas run rings about them but up until that point, we weren't by any means home and dry and we actually played pretty poorly. I'll take a win but it was a poor performance in which far too many players were off their game. There's the old cliche that 'you can only beat what's put in front of you' but I feel a team of under nines would have struggled to play that shambles of a team and not beat them. If we'd have played well we could have won by about 5-0. As it was, we only won 2-0. Exeter and Southend are two examples of when we played poor teams and could easily have won be a greater margain. Today 2-0 flattered us slightly. We were the better team but it was two poor teams on the day.

Some players did have legitimately good games (as in, not merely an average game) but they were in a minority. Those five were in my view: McCormick, Hartley, McHugh, Blizzard and Thomas. Three of them were only on for about a half each and one of them is a goalkeeper. Luke was very assured making one fantastic save in the first half and doing all else which he had to do well. Hartley managed to be both assured and a colossus all at once. Probably assured in that he tried to play on too long after being injured but that aside was good. McHugh did pretty well when he came on. Stuck to his man like glue and did well playing the ball out of defence- he proved today beyond any shadow of doubt that he is a centre back and NOT A LEFT-BACK. Dominic Blizzard really is like a whole new signing. He has without any doubt found his best position as a very advanced central midfielder. As a ball-winner he is nothing but as a playmaker he is very effective indeed. Found some beautiful passes today and always seemed very composed with the ball going forward. He's fit, he's in his best position and by god it shows. Really pleased for Nathan Thomas- he may not quite be the finished product yet but by god has has got something to offer or what? He's direct, he makes defenders panic, he tries stuff that no-one else in our squad has got the confidence for, he can get a good cross in and by god he believes in himself. His main vice is his positional weakness. That's what stops him from being an away game player as well as a home game player. I wouldn't start him at Accrington but down to his pure ability I'd start him at home to Shrewsbury.

Nelse wasn't as good as those five but he was alright. Stood off the strikers too much but did what he had to do when the ball came his way. Morgan was good as a left-winger but had a very quiet second half when moved central. He's still obviously a massive improvement on the player we saw last season. He's got his hunger back and I'm glad he's scored a goal. Cox had a very shakey first half but some good attacking moves and passes second half. Still giggling at his 'shot' in the second half though. Purrington looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights in the first half but in the second he looked very good getting up and down the line once he had got some confidence into his system. It's so refreshing to have a left-back who actually overlaps rather than just stands there. I like McHugh but may he never play left-back again.

O'Connor had a funny game. He's usually excellent defensively but poor creatively. Today it was the other way around. He didn't track their central runners at all and was anonymous when balls came through the middle that he should have been snapping up. That said, attackingly he was better than normal making some good passes to players who had found space. Also in the 'mixed' bracket was Harvey when he came on. Didn't get in the game much but made one very good pass to Lewi...

On the subject on which, our right side was appalling. Two players who on their day can be amongst our best and most talented were well off form today in the shape of Lewis Alessandra and Kelvin Mellor. At least Lewi admits via his Twitter page that it was crazy that he got man of the match. Mellor had a calamity around every corner and Lewi just didn't get in the game enough at all. He missed a stinker at the end too which highlights his very average finishing. A talented player but is about as consistent as the weather is for a two week summer holiday in Cornwall. Reid too was having a pretty poor game- not at all like his usual excellent self. Please, please let him be fit and not injured.

On the whole, some players played well individually but we didn't link up enough well as a team at all. It's both funny and ironic that so many players put in good, 8 out of ten individual performances yet at the same time we were so below par as a team. I guess that's because not all/not many of them were on the pitch at the same time and one of them was the last line of defence: the goalkeeper. Hartlepool walked through us at times and a team that weren't relegation fodder could have really punished us. We were sloppy but Hartlepool let us get away with it. Still, it'd be churlish to suggest that there weren't ANY positive signs. There were some and most of them were relating to our attacking side. Thomas didn't do himself much harm- nor did McHugh or Blizzard. My review on the whole though would be generally disappointing and improvement needed.

McCormick-8

Mellor-3
Nelson-7
Hartley-8
Purrington-6

O'Connor-6
Cox-6
Blizzard-8 MOTM

Alessandra-4
Reid-5
Morgan-7

Thomas-8
McHugh-8
Harvey-6

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Not sure if its the 5 pints I've just sunk watching West Ham but I quite enjoyed today.
We did enough without ever getting out of 3rd gear to beat an average Hartleppol team

They had a few sniffs that on another day could of ended up in our goal and Luke made a very important block right on the stroke of half time but we were always the stronger side

Ruebens injury allowed Thomas a chance of 45 mins and, for me anyway, he grabbed it with both hands. I like Banton but Thomas showed more threat in his 45 mins from out wide than Bantons showed since the Exeter game and took his goal in Tynaneque fashion

Thought Luke and the 2 centre halfs were solid and Alessandra continues to prove to be a vital player. He holds on to possession in the final third and his skill and close control are unique and hughly missed when he's not playing

Also thought Blizzard was decent and that's a massive compliment as I've never rated him at all!!!

Really hope Hartley and Ruebens Injurys aren't that bad as their 2 players we don't want to be without