Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Peter Hartley's a good player but with all due respect I'm much more worried about Reuben.

McHugh is an able deputy at centre-back. Have we got someone like that up front? I'm not sure.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Do you all watch the same game? The same players? The same opposition?

The "ratings' are just bizarre, here's a couple of examples:

Mellor 6 6 4 6 5 5 6 7 6 3

Lewi 6 7 5 5 4 4 7 3 6 4

So, was Mellor a 3 or a 7? Was Lewi a 3 or a 7?

Surely the differences can't be that wild, can they? Or is it just down to personal opinions on players whom you do or don't like?

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
It's not that for me Andy. I think Mellor has been comfortably amongst the better signings of this summer in most games so far. I just feel he had a stinker today.

Lewi's inconsistent and always have been. I've given him about a 2 in some games and about a 9 in others. Again, not down to bias.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
GreenSam":13zwgmvt said:
Peter Hartley's a good player but with all due respect I'm much more worried about Reuben.

McHugh is an able deputy at centre-back. Have we got someone like that up front? I'm not sure.

I agree, but I like the look of the team second half where Morgan was in Reid's position and Thomas on the left, I think that's our best team if Reid is out injured.

C

Cobi Budge.

I left Home Park today feeling weird, I think many probably felt the same.

I left not disapointed or angry, but not over the moon as I usually am with a win, I didn't really know how to feel. :crazy:

We managed to win with a degree of comfort without leaving 2nd gear.

Hartlepool were absolutely dreadful, I understand you can only play what's infront of you, but I honestly believe that they are (Perhaps bar Morecambe last season) the worst side to come to Home Park in our 3 and a bit seasons in League 2. They had nothing, at the back, they looked nervous and depleted, they struggled with Reid being able to keep the ball on a string, they struggled with Morgan's turn of pace, despite him having a bad game they struggled with Lewi's nippiness & then they just couldn't handle Thomas. In the centre of midfield their CM's were dragged around ridiculously easily and constantly found themselves out of position. On the wing's, their right sided winger wasn't really in the match, their LM, number 17 maybe, was extremely fast, but absolutely clueless technically, just ran until he ran in to someone. Up top, I'll give Marlon Harewood some credit, he's a good strong footballer and has a decent touch, but he had nothing around him whatsoever. Some have been saying they thought Hartlepool were going to level, I didn't, even when the ball was bouncing around in the box I couldn't see it happening, they had absolutely nothing.

I'm pleased to get the 3 points, but I'm not sure if we would have beat a different team with the performance, I don't think we can take much from today but the points, let's move on and try to get some consistency.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Andy_S said:

Lewi 6 7 5 5 4 4 7 3 6 4

Surely the differences can't be that wild, can they? Or is it just down to personal opinions on players whom you do or don't like?

Mellor is decent and solid and a marked improvement on berry.
Allesandra can be a bit hit and miss but ( for me anyway ) we're a better side with him in it. He works hard and twists and turns and respects possession more than others although he missed a glorious 1 on 1 in the final minute

1985nhangingon

Cobi Budge.":p04j33ow said:
Marvin Morgan isn't a CF, he is much better when he's on the left and can link with Reid, showed that again today.
I said weeks ago that Morgan is a real handful out wide and I got laughed off here

Nov 16, 2006
Andy in Peverell":3ab96ttv said:
Andy_S":3ab96ttv said:

Lewi 6 7 5 5 4 4 7 3 6 4

Mellor is decent and solid and a marked improvement on berry.
Allesandra can be a bit hit and miss but ( for me anyway ) we're a better side with him in it. He works hard and twists and turns and respects possession more than others although he missed a glorious 1 on 1 in the final minute
A 3 for Mellor is just silly. How can any member of a very rarely troubled back four who kept a clean sheet get a 3? Probably a 6...5 if you're being harsh - it wasn't his best game - but 3? That sort if score should be reserved for someone getting constantly beaten by his winger, which simply wasn't the case.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Not amazing, but an improvement on Tuesday and another 3 points. Good clean sheet too thanks mainly to Luke's excellent save. I didn't like how often they got through the middle of our midfield 3 and were running at our back 4 - luckily however our 2 centre-halves did well stopping them.

Hartlepool had the odd moment going forward but god they looked terrible at the back.

Another game that makes me think "mid-table". Those saying we'd be close to relegation after Tuesday were being silly - we'll normally see off poor sides and get a win after a couple of bad results. Likewise, we can't string a run of good results together either. Frustrating.

McCormick 7 - Crucial save right on half time, largely untested otherwise.

Mellor 4 - If he'd had that exact same game but we'd drawn/lost I think he'd be getting very very low scores. Apart from one delightful bit of play in the first half he had a bit of a shocker. Good overlapping though.

Nelson 7 - He'll have a bad game one day, surely. Mr consistent. If he could just mark better at crosses he'd be Championship standard.

Hartley 7 - Very good game until he made that big error that let Hartlepool in and ultimately led to him going off injured. Hope he's alright.

Purrington 5 - Very poor first half but redeemed himself in the second.

O'Connor 5 - Seems to struggle to pick players up when protecting the back four - we just seem a little too open for my liking and like I said at the top Hartlepool played through them and were running at our centre-halves a bit too much.

Cox 7 - Proper ball winner, and he can use it well too. I think he really could be our Makelele/Mikel - I can't imagine how he's ever going to score a goal! But that's not his game.

Blizzard 8 MOTM - Very good, especially in the 2nd half. Found his role.

Alessandra 5 - Worked hard but no end product. Man of the match? Er no.

Reid 6 - He's a marked man - teams are crowding him out and stopping him from playing. Good assist for the goal though.

Morgan 7 - Really pleased he's got his goal. Again, hopefully we can see some consistency now and hope this isn't just another flash in the pan.

Subs:

Thomas 8 - well played son.

McHugh 7 - Joy of joys, McHugh finally getting his chance at centre-half! Looked very solid and reliable.

Harvey 6 - Good through ball for Alessandra's late chance.

Jun 15, 2013
Good win, despite poor performance(of course I could not watch the match, but everybody's saying that). If we can make consecutive wins from this win, getting the promotion is not a dream. Actually, that is Shez' main problem imo. We can win a match or 2, but Shez is not able to make it as a streak. Anyway, wins are always good. Good team can salvage a result even in a poor performance, like Man Utd in Ferguson era.

G

Greenskin

hometown5":2sp9qrpe said:
Good win, despite poor performance(of course I could not watch the match, but everybody's saying that). If we can make consecutive wins from this win, getting the promotion is not a dream. Actually, that is Shez' main problem imo. We can win a match or 2, but Shez is not able to make it as a streak. Anyway, wins are always good. Good team can salvage a result even in a poor performance, like Man Utd in Ferguson era.

Don't think it was a poor performance.The only real criticism from me would be that Argyle didn't take one of the chances or half chances created in the first half to put the game safe-it predictably became edgy until the clincher from Thomas.Maybe the hammering that Hartlepool took at Northampton led to expectations of a similar outcome yesterday but it doesn't often work out like that.Reasonably competent all round performance IMHO.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
Greenskin":13h8lx0j said:
hometown5":13h8lx0j said:

Don't think it was a poor performance.The only real criticism from me would be that Argyle didn't take one of the chances or half chances created in the first half to put the game safe-it predictably became edgy until the clincher from Thomas.Maybe the hammering that Hartlepool took at Northampton led to expectations of a similar outcome yesterday but it doesn't often work out like that.Reasonably competent all round performance IMHO.
And yesterday Northampton lose 4-5 at home to the team we play next week.
Strange game is football

stewthenoo

Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Frank_Butcher":2a12rg8q said:
A pretty decent first 20 minutes but we lost our way after the first goal. All the zip went out of our attack as we played patient build-up, typically failing in the final third.

Hartley was stupid IMO. He had clearly strained/ pulled something when stretching to head back to McCormick. He should have signalled to the bench immediately - you don't run those off. Sadly it could now result in a longer absence than necessary.

Thomas did well in his attacking cameo, but while others will no doubt get excited this for me is what he is about. He did nothing defensively and his game is just not rounded enough to justify a starting berth. Personally I think his destiny is as an impact sub unless he can build more into his defensive game.

MoM for me would be Morgan on the strength of his first-half performance.

To be fair to Hartley, he picked up the injury a few minutes earlier. Both he and Nelson signalled to the bench that he had pulled his thigh muscle and to get a sub ready, only for Sean McCarthy to indicate from the dugout for him to stay on the pitch (parallels to Alex Bray?)

Hartley 7 - Very good game until he made that big error that let Hartlepool in and ultimately led to him going off injured. Hope he's alright.

....and it was because of the injury Hartley had already picked up that he made that error - and possibly made the injury worse.

As far as Rueben's injury is concerned, I do worry more as the tackle that did it for him was the result of an assault from behind by a Hartlepool midfielder who launched himself into Reid with his knee leading (and was not even spoken to by the ref). He got up from that one, gingerly and limped on, clearly trying to run off the injury (not easy when it is in the lower rib area), only to be clattered again, this time (luckily, just before half time) unable to continue. Wouldn't surprise me if there is a broken rib there somewhere.

It does get my goat, though when Rueben gets manhandled and dumped to the ground so often and the officials suddenly develop blindness.

C

Cobi Budge.

It wasn't a poor performance, I just thought it was dull & lifeless at times, which is probably why HP was silent for 99% of the match, many seemed to just get a little bored.

3 points are what it's all about but this was a 1/10 for excitement or entertainment.