Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Total crap and feels like a defeat

Felt like a Fletcher performance.
Morcombe created the better chances in both halfs and can rightly feel they deserved the 3points rather than us.

We ended up with the tall on loan centre half playing in bloody midfield????
Was there no one on the bench better equipped to play that position???????

Not once did we build any kind of pressure or play with any tempo and Mellor in particular looked totally devoid of any kind of attacking threat or confidence.

Olly Lee looks worse than our own players sat on our bench and when Brunt volleyed the ball into his own face late on it summed up our farcical performance.

This years been a big improvement on previous years and after the cracking football of the autumn I genuinely thought we'd be there or there abouts but the wheels are really falling off now.
Sheridan needs to recapture the form of 2 months ago else this season will petter out like last year.

I even missed our goal as id gone for a bloody pint 20 seconds before.

Argyle fans even had a fight with each other in the Lyndhurst!!!

A bad bad day

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
In our position it seems we are stuck with him unfortunately. Don't know what the answer is. The squad is good enough but we are running out of time for Sheridan to get the best out of it. All is not lost yet but it's all getting rather close.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
As I was working till too late to attend I had to settle for the radio coverage.

That said so obviously I wasn't there but I got the impression everything changed once Luke had to be replaced by James Bittner. Now, as the goalkeeper has no effect on team shape, why should this change have such a detrimental failing for the second half? I have no real confidence if we need to use him for any length of time.

Any news on Luke's injury? as this happened last season and we lost a lot of points due to the goalkeepers changing.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Ade the green":xoh4vc3t said:
As I was working till too late to attend I had to settle for the radio coverage.

That said so obviously I wasn't there but I got the impression everything changed once Luke had to be replaced by James Bittner. Now, as the goalkeeper has no effect on team shape, why should this change have such a detrimental failing for the second half? I have no real confidence if we need to use him for any length of time.

Any news on Luke's injury? as this happened last season and we lost a lot of points due to the goalkeepers changing.
No. We were sh1te all game

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Time for Sheridan and his coaching staff to go ...............

Feb 26, 2011
Well I just can't believe how low on confidence we look. No one wants to shoot! We lack penetration going forward with Mellor injured and Kellet out of the side we look so poor getting forward. Ruben constantly wants the ball to feet and doesn't move off his player in a attacking phase.
Playing a 3-5-2 surly means we need to have pace to break teams down on the counter attack. Something we lack with out current side. IMO the game was crying out for a Banton or Thomas to come on and get at there back 4 and take a shoot.
Terrible, scraping of football to watch against a team we should be beating at home. Shezza needs to mix the tactics up if we are not going to play with quick wing backs.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We looked a team lacking in confidence and ideas.

We had plenty of the ball but didn't use it well enough in the final third and didn't find the killer pass.

On the face of it one point from the last two home games would spell disaster but the results today went in our favour, so we either look at today as an opportunity lost to make up some ground on other teams or we say we are still in with a chance.

There were a few glaring problems with the system, Sheridan used a 3-1-4-2 formation with Lee sitting just in front of the centre-backs and Cox as an attacking midfielder alongside Bobby Reid.
The problem is that Cox isn't an attacking midfielder and looked short of ideas when he reached the penalty area (not his fault) and Purrington played as an orthodox left-back and not a wing-back which meant he didn't get forward.
The attacking left-side player was Alessandra which then meant Reuben Reid was isolated up front and often he ventured out to the right side of the pitch anyway.

This made the team look dis-jointed, the problem with Purrington sitting too deep and close to Flanagan was evident against Luton and should have been rectified for this game against Morecambe.

Also credit to Morecambe who closed us down and hassled us, not allowing a player to look up and play a pass.

The first half was very flat. Mellor picked up an arm injury but carried on, often nursing his arm.
McCormick made a good save when Morecambe broke through, he went down low to save a shot in a one-on-one situation, the ball was loose and the Morecambe player dived in for a second chance and injured McCormick's hand.

Soon after McCormick made another excellent save tipping over a header.

Just when most fans were getting ready to vent their frustration at the half time whistle Bobby Reid sent a long ball to Reuben Reid who headed past the covering defender and advanced on goal, instead of shooting he took the ball around the keeper and slotted in. A well taken goal. A half time lead that should have given us confidence and the boos changed to cheers.

McCormick didn't return to the pitch and was replaced by Bittner who made his first appearance for Argyle.
A case of deja vu for McCormick who was injured at a similar stage last season, will our promotion hopes also hit the ropes just as they did last season?

We did start the second half well but instead of getting a second goal we conceded one and it's another goal conceded from a set-piece, although no blame should be attributed to Bittner, we just didn't defend well enough and allowed the shortest player on the pitch a free header.

We huffed and puffed and there was no denying the effort put in by the players but we just couldn't create a decent chance.
Lee was withdrawn and Flanagan moved into midfield (I wonder what Norburn thinks about that?) and Brunt made his debut with Reuben and Alessandra playing either side of him.
We did have some pressure but a total of three shots on target compared to five from Morecambe tells the story.

Cox was replaced by Thomas and the winger did put in a great cross soon after coming on but there was no-one close by to convert.

There's a lot of pressure now to win the next two games.

With Alessandra playing wide to compensate for the lack of attacks coming from the left and Reid also going wide it meant that at times only Cox was in the area and that's not his game.

Bobby Reid was our one bright spark and without him we would have had no attacking options apart from the runs made by Reuben Reid.
Alessandra did try and was always available for a pass.

Lee (his dad Lee was at the game) didn't have a good game, if he was supposed to play the deep quarter back role it didn't work and despite him putting in some good corners last week against Luton it was Bobby Reid who today took all the free-kicks and corners and as we've come to expect they either don't beat the first defender or are floated in and are easy to defend. A strange choice by Sheridan.

Brunt didn't have much to work with and didn't find the ball at his feet too often.
Bittner did ok although his short passes to his defenders did cause a few scares.

Purrington is a good left-back but cannot operate as a wing-back, we need Kellett back and quick! For me that issue should have been sorted out in training over the last week, Flanagan needed to move over five yards to push Purrington further forward, it looked like we were playing with two left-backs/centre-backs. Or use Thomas as wing-back for a home game.

It just seemed logical that Lee takes better corners than Reid, Purrington is not an attacking wing-back, Cox isn't an attacking midfielder and Reid and Alessandra operate better in the middle and in the penalty area, so why did the opposite happen?

Overall, we look a different team to the confident and dominant one that was doing so well before Christmas.
We need to find a win and some confidence quickly otherwise it's another season in League Two.

Man of the match - Bobby Reid.

McCormick 7, Nelson 7, McHugh 6, Flanagan 6, Mellor 6, Purrington 5, Lee 4, Cox 5, B Reid 7, Alessandra 6, R Reid 6, Bittner 6, Brunt 6, Thomas 6.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
up_the_line":2j3b4blh said:
BadBoy":2j3b4blh said:
Lost all hope of play-off/ promotion now I predict a finish of between 10th and 15th
Starnes reckons we're going up. Saw him post match. Doesn't seem phased. Fnar fnar

That's annoyed me if what you said is true.

It's a typical head in the sand comment from him without an ounce of honesty or reality.

If he's running this club and that deluded then I'm worried, really worried.

P

PASTIE

No. Nothing really changed after Luke went off. Before and after we had no attacking threat from either full back, a midfield that was static and a front line that was wasteful. Everything went to Bobby Reid in the hope he could be superman. Not yet, I'm afraId. Very disappointing

May 26, 2006
South Devon
Pasties and Cider":fpokreph said:
1) A positive looking 6 on the bench but no place for the injured Blizzard, Morgan, Richards or Harvey. Injured or all the latter 3 off? Brunt would make his debut from the bench if he comes on. Blizzard for Bobby Reid the only change to the starting 11.

2) Argyle started well and deserved the lead at the break although much of the possession was passed around behind the statuesque R Reid. Alessandra had an especially wasteful half always trying to tun into his man rather than play the simple lay-off.

3) Bobby Reid looked full of ideas despite the lack of movement ahead of him. Unfortunately he struggled to deliver on his plans and gave the ball away frequently.

4) Injuries to Mellor and McCormick disrupted the play and Reid found the net in the following injury time. Bittner replaced McCormick at half-time following an injury to Luke's hand in a challenge he possibly shouldn't have had to make - I thought the Morecambe forward was off-side.

5) Argyle lost the lead early in the second with yet another goal conceded from a corner. It looked like poor marking again.

6) With 15 to go Brunt replaced Lee and we switched to 4-3-3 with Flanagan moving into midfield - why not Nelson? At least it was a positive move. With time running out Cox was replaced by Thomas. Positive again.

7) Brunt looked OK. Both Reid's had reasonable games but we're still missing something. The side lacked urgency and we just couldn't find a decent final ball.

8 ) Argyle struggled to penetrate again. Mellor looked injured and Purrington simply not enough attack minded. Alessandra had a poor game.

9) Yet another low away turnout but at least they brought a drum. Now we wait on injuries and the possible arrival of a loan 'keeper. How many loanees can we play at one time??

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 7
Tom Flanagan - 5
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 5
Olly Lee - 6
Bobby Reid - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 4
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - 5
Aaron Bentley - unused
Oliver Norburn - unused
Jason Banton - unused
Nathan Thomas - 5
Ryan Brunt - 6

I realise that people have different opinions on matches etc etc but how you can give Lee a higher mark than Cox is ridiculous!!

C

Cult Of Personality

Argyle poor yet again we going backwards under Sheridan its like the other teams in the league have sussed us out.

Argyle Angels poor before the game stuck with Thunderstuck yet again but improved at half time with a new routine and one that was pretty much in sync

Kids taking penaltys is always funny the standard of keeping is up there with James Bittner

The punch up in the lndyhurst is a sign of boredom

Jun 11, 2012
Wagga_Wagga":2ur8uc8r said:
Pasties and Cider":2ur8uc8r said:
1) A positive looking 6 on the bench but no place for the injured Blizzard, Morgan, Richards or Harvey. Injured or all the latter 3 off? Brunt would make his debut from the bench if he comes on. Blizzard for Bobby Reid the only change to the starting 11.

2) Argyle started well and deserved the lead at the break although much of the possession was passed around behind the statuesque R Reid. Alessandra had an especially wasteful half always trying to tun into his man rather than play the simple lay-off.

3) Bobby Reid looked full of ideas despite the lack of movement ahead of him. Unfortunately he struggled to deliver on his plans and gave the ball away frequently.

4) Injuries to Mellor and McCormick disrupted the play and Reid found the net in the following injury time. Bittner replaced McCormick at half-time following an injury to Luke's hand in a challenge he possibly shouldn't have had to make - I thought the Morecambe forward was off-side.

5) Argyle lost the lead early in the second with yet another goal conceded from a corner. It looked like poor marking again.

6) With 15 to go Brunt replaced Lee and we switched to 4-3-3 with Flanagan moving into midfield - why not Nelson? At least it was a positive move. With time running out Cox was replaced by Thomas. Positive again.

7) Brunt looked OK. Both Reid's had reasonable games but we're still missing something. The side lacked urgency and we just couldn't find a decent final ball.

8 ) Argyle struggled to penetrate again. Mellor looked injured and Purrington simply not enough attack minded. Alessandra had a poor game.

9) Yet another low away turnout but at least they brought a drum. Now we wait on injuries and the possible arrival of a loan 'keeper. How many loanees can we play at one time??

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 7
Tom Flanagan - 5
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 5
Olly Lee - 6
Bobby Reid - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 4
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - 5
Aaron Bentley - unused
Oliver Norburn - unused
Jason Banton - unused
Nathan Thomas - 5
Ryan Brunt - 6

I realise that people have different opinions on matches etc etc but how you can give Lee a higher mark than Cox is ridiculous!!
Not really.