Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Wagga_Wagga":139unqqj said:
Pasties and Cider":139unqqj said:
1) A positive looking 6 on the bench but no place for the injured Blizzard, Morgan, Richards or Harvey. Injured or all the latter 3 off? Brunt would make his debut from the bench if he comes on. Blizzard for Bobby Reid the only change to the starting 11.

2) Argyle started well and deserved the lead at the break although much of the possession was passed around behind the statuesque R Reid. Alessandra had an especially wasteful half always trying to tun into his man rather than play the simple lay-off.

3) Bobby Reid looked full of ideas despite the lack of movement ahead of him. Unfortunately he struggled to deliver on his plans and gave the ball away frequently.

4) Injuries to Mellor and McCormick disrupted the play and Reid found the net in the following injury time. Bittner replaced McCormick at half-time following an injury to Luke's hand in a challenge he possibly shouldn't have had to make - I thought the Morecambe forward was off-side.

5) Argyle lost the lead early in the second with yet another goal conceded from a corner. It looked like poor marking again.

6) With 15 to go Brunt replaced Lee and we switched to 4-3-3 with Flanagan moving into midfield - why not Nelson? At least it was a positive move. With time running out Cox was replaced by Thomas. Positive again.

7) Brunt looked OK. Both Reid's had reasonable games but we're still missing something. The side lacked urgency and we just couldn't find a decent final ball.

8 ) Argyle struggled to penetrate again. Mellor looked injured and Purrington simply not enough attack minded. Alessandra had a poor game.

9) Yet another low away turnout but at least they brought a drum. Now we wait on injuries and the possible arrival of a loan 'keeper. How many loanees can we play at one time??

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 7
Tom Flanagan - 5
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 5
Olly Lee - 6
Bobby Reid - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 4
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - 5
Aaron Bentley - unused
Oliver Norburn - unused
Jason Banton - unused
Nathan Thomas - 5
Ryan Brunt - 6

I realise that people have different opinions on matches etc etc but how you can give Lee a higher mark than Cox is ridiculous!!

A lesson in contradiction

Sep 23, 2005
Just not good enough.

We didn't deserve any more than a point against an unambitious Morecombe. Agree with P&C ratings, I thought Bobby Reid did very well actually and we'd be much weaker without him but he can't win it on his own. Oh for those heady days of B. Reid, Kellet and O'Connor driving us on. Now we lose Luke to add to our woes.

This season is starting to have the feel of the disappointment of last season after Lavery left and the dwindling crowds suggest many others feel the same way. No queues in the Brit, pasty queue or refreshments in Home Park or leaving the ground makes life easier but would much prefer the place to be packed on the anticipation of an exciting performance.

Thomas not on long enough Cobi? I thought we saw quite enough in those few minutes to see why he isn't entrusted with a bigger role in the side. One decent cross but otherwise wasteful.

Jun 11, 2012
Timid cr*p. Again.

McCormick/Bittner - 7
Nelson - 5
McHugh - 8 - Excellent.
Flanagan - 4
Mellor - 6
Purrington - 5 - I've tried to give him time, but, like Harvey, I see no future for him at Argyle. Slow, predictable and offers next to nothing in attack. Defensively he's adequate, therefore a full-back position would be preferable, but the sooner we get Kellett back the better. If indeed we do.
Cox - 5 - What the hell has happened to him?
Lee - 5
B.Reid - 7 - I'd like to see him get closer to the front two, but welcome back Bobby. We've missed you.
R.Reid - 6
Alessandra - 5

May 26, 2006
South Devon
HarlHM":30cdypub said:
Wagga_Wagga":30cdypub said:
Pasties and Cider":30cdypub said:
1) A positive looking 6 on the bench but no place for the injured Blizzard, Morgan, Richards or Harvey. Injured or all the latter 3 off? Brunt would make his debut from the bench if he comes on. Blizzard for Bobby Reid the only change to the starting 11.

2) Argyle started well and deserved the lead at the break although much of the possession was passed around behind the statuesque R Reid. Alessandra had an especially wasteful half always trying to tun into his man rather than play the simple lay-off.

3) Bobby Reid looked full of ideas despite the lack of movement ahead of him. Unfortunately he struggled to deliver on his plans and gave the ball away frequently.

4) Injuries to Mellor and McCormick disrupted the play and Reid found the net in the following injury time. Bittner replaced McCormick at half-time following an injury to Luke's hand in a challenge he possibly shouldn't have had to make - I thought the Morecambe forward was off-side.

5) Argyle lost the lead early in the second with yet another goal conceded from a corner. It looked like poor marking again.

6) With 15 to go Brunt replaced Lee and we switched to 4-3-3 with Flanagan moving into midfield - why not Nelson? At least it was a positive move. With time running out Cox was replaced by Thomas. Positive again.

7) Brunt looked OK. Both Reid's had reasonable games but we're still missing something. The side lacked urgency and we just couldn't find a decent final ball.

8 ) Argyle struggled to penetrate again. Mellor looked injured and Purrington simply not enough attack minded. Alessandra had a poor game.

9) Yet another low away turnout but at least they brought a drum. Now we wait on injuries and the possible arrival of a loan 'keeper. How many loanees can we play at one time??

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 7
Tom Flanagan - 5
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 5
Olly Lee - 6
Bobby Reid - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 4
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - 5
Aaron Bentley - unused
Oliver Norburn - unused
Jason Banton - unused
Nathan Thomas - 5
Ryan Brunt - 6

I realise that people have different opinions on matches etc etc but how you can give Lee a higher mark than Cox is ridiculous!!
Not really.

The mom thread would suggest otherwise.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
1) The first half was ok but too Fletcher-esque. No cutting edge at all, all very safe and played in front of the opposition. That was until one superb ball from Bobby found Reuben and he stuck it away. Needed that goal for his confidence.

2) We should have pushed on from there, and we didn't. Another home game that we didn't win, more points thrown away from a winning position, and yet ANOTHER goal conceded from a set piece. Shambolic. Where is the flaming coaching?!?!?!?

3) Once it went to 1-1 we were toast. Had Morecambe been a bit braver as they should have been, they would have won that match. We looked shaky at the back, lost all midfield shape once we took Cox off, and still were just so cautious going forward. One of the least cohesive attacking performances I have seen from John Sheridan's Argyle, and there is an absolute catalogue of those to choose from.

4) Ellison bottled a fantastic chance for them at the end - Redshaw got in a few dangerous positions too. We were lucky to get a point in the end.

McCormick 8 - Two very good saves, hope he isn't out injured for long.

Nelson 7 - Clearly frustrated at the complete inadequecy of our attacks, he burst forward about 5 times and looked threatening. Defended well too.
McHugh 8 MOTM - Distribution not amazing but rock-like at the back.
Flanagan 4 - Started badly, got worse.

Mellor 5 - Poor game but a few people are saying he was playing with an injury which explains it if true. An Argyle player injured - never!
Cox 5 - Whether he wants to get forward more or whether he's being told to push on (if so that's yet another tactical howler from our manager) he offers nothing in the final third. He's so good sitting in midfield breaking up attacks and keeping things ticking over, that's where he has to stay.
Lee 6 - Simon Walton-esque. Some sublime passes, some howlers. Mixed bag.
Bobby Reid 6 - Great assist and some good runs in the first half but nothing he tried worked in the second.
Purrington 7 - A few great passes, but again it's the problem of him not quite having the pace or the energy to charge up and down the line like a Parsons or a Kellett would. Still, a good game though.

Reuben Reid 6 - Not MOTM by any means but a decent game. Good goal, mixed bag in terms of hold up play. One delightful crossfield ball in the second half too. It's the little passes he tries that normally go wrong though, I think he should just get his head down and run with it a bit more often.
Alessandra 5 - Again, good desire and work rate to harry and hassle, but the quality on the ball just wasn't there.

Subs:
Bittner 5 - Good long kicking, but the rest? Hmm.
Brunt 6 - Well he's certainly a trier and not afraid to get stuck in. Any good with a football though? We'll see. Some nice hold up play, some not so nice.
Thomas 6 - One sublime cross when he came on. Our manager then decides to deploy him in midfield rather than the obvious wide forward role he should have been in. Masterstroke. Thomas should have been on 20 minutes earlier and for Alessandra not Cox.

Final word to Mr John Sheridan.

At signing players you have shown you can do the job. You've assembled a bloody good group of players who should be right near the top of this division. But sadly they aren't, because at every other aspect of management you are a failure. 9th in the league with this group of players is not good enough at all. You have no solutions to the clear problems this team has - defending set pieces, taking set pieces, movement off the ball, decision making in the final third, playing players in their correct position, making subs. It's all rubbish. Your only "solution" is to sign another player, rather than sort out what is already here.

I've had enough. Sheridan out.

Jun 11, 2012
Wagga_Wagga":rnrsnxnw said:
HarlHM":rnrsnxnw said:
Wagga_Wagga":rnrsnxnw said:
Pasties and Cider":rnrsnxnw said:

Luke McCormick - 7
Kelvin Mellor - 5
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 7
Tom Flanagan - 5
Ben Purrington - 6
Lee Cox - 5
Olly Lee - 6
Bobby Reid - 7
Lewis Alessandra - 4
Reuben Reid - 6

Substitutes:
James Bittner - 5
Aaron Bentley - unused
Oliver Norburn - unused
Jason Banton - unused
Nathan Thomas - 5
Ryan Brunt - 6

Not really.

The mom thread would suggest otherwise.
I don't care.

P

PASTIE

No Sheridan fan but the suggestion seems to be that he injures the players himself?

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
Was actually a very similar game to last week. Mixed first half, but we had the better luck this time as a decent ball from Bobby was taken and scored well by Reid. Second half once again we fell flat, mainly due to the complete lack of service to our forwards. Reid and Alessandra can be great players but when they aren't getting decent service then they look sh*t. The idea of 3-5-2 is that there should be some spark of creativity from the midfield 3 but that certainly wasn't the case today. Lee can't seem to play a pass longer than 3 yards, Cox is a great defensive player but utterly inept at going forward and Bobby's decision making was pretty poor which obviously impacted our whole game plan immensely. Purrington didn't provide the spark that Kellett does and I hope we can get him back ASAP.

I've used the word 'spark' twice there, and that pretty much sums up our performance today- we had none of it.

Saying all this still, Sheridan in.

Nov 28, 2014
Mr Sheridan said in his Radio Devon interview that he told the players 'we don't need another'. He was referring to another goal. Whilst it is confusing as to the message he is giving to the players it perhaps suggests the need to entertain the paying public does not currently feature in his list of priorities. Whilst accepting that winning ugly is a valid strategy in times when our backs are up against the wall, he does perhaps fail to appreciate the promises he made this year are difficult to reconcile to the past 6 seasons of dross albeit he is only responsible for the last 2. I would never call for anyone to be sacked but he is not to me a motivational figure; I only hope the players are receiving different messages from their leader to those he offers to paying punters.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
The whole ground could see we weren't good enough and that we needed another. Jesus wept.

Apr 15, 2008
London
up_the_line":184ixtob said:
Starnes reckons we're going up. Saw him post match. Doesn't seem phased. Fnar fnar

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any urgency for the club to progress - that's on and off the pitch. It seems that all concerned are quite happy for us to trundle along in the basement division for, oh, the next decade.

Mar 23, 2008
How many shots at goal have we had in the last two home games? It's garbage, really really dull and predictable. When Sheridan has got it right during his tenure it's been very good but when it's bad my god it's bad. I want to see some excitement, some passion and some progression. It looks more and more like our manager is not the man to take us forward, let's be honest the team represents him and is dull, predictable and lacks character. We can do better and must so better but that won't happen until we have a man with a plan rather than someone who makes it up as he goes along. I cannot wait for the end of the Sheridan era although fear it won't be until the end of his contract and that's a long time to wait for positivity and feel good factor. How depressing.