Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Thought we were all played off the park first half - excellent passing & possession play from Bury - but the second half was even with the game being won by the team that took its chances. They did; we didn't.

May 1, 2011
Monster Green":2wg7z854 said:
Sheridan out brigade soon to return then. 4 games unbeaten, lost today against a very good Bury side. Play-offs are still achievable; lets regroup and get back on track :scarf:
The point is the play offs should never have been the aim. Sheridan gets this so why don't you?

C

Cobi Budge.

How anyone can say the defence did well is beyond me. The first goal we conceded was a free header after Holmes Dennis cocked up, then the second every defender stopped running because they thought it was offside, two easy goals.

Nelson was the only defender who had a good game. McHugh & Hartley both got lucky in the first half with dodgy moments and in the second half they were punished.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
After the Lord Mayor's show.

We fell apart against a very strong and organised Bury team disciplined in the school of black arts, helped by a referee who favoured the away team.

We played the ball too long to Brunt who struggled against the Bury centre-backs and the match ended with Mellor as our centre-forward, I wonder what Brunt and Harvey think about that?

Cox came in for the suspended Lee and Brunt replaced the injured Reid who looks to be out for at least a week.
This meant we had two sitting midfielders in a 3-4-1-2 formation, a slight tinker to what has brought us four consecutive winning games.

Bury started the stronger and should have scored when Nardiello missed a cross with only McCormick to beat.
We struggled to cope with the physical side of the game and Bury were winning all the battles, we were outnumbered in midfield with Etuhu excellent for Bury.

As the half wore on we came into the game more and Bobby Reid set up the unmarked Talbot but his sidefoot shot was more of a pass back and was easily saved.

We kept hitting long balls to Brunt who was easily marked by the big Bury centre-backs, the tactic was just not working.

For the second half we played with more aggression and hassled and closed down the Bury players, Brunt was also stronger and we managed to play more in the Bury half than we did in the first half.
The two wing backs were now playing further forward and getting in behind the Bury defence.
Alessandra had a goal disallowed for offside but it seemed an Argyle goal would not be far away.

Just when we had a bit of momentum and pressure we left the back door open, Bury marched down the left side, Nicky Adams crossed and there was Nardiello to head in. Way too easy.

Sheridan made three changes, taking off McHugh, Cox and Brunt and brought on Blizzard, Banton and Mellor and switched to a 4-4-2 formation. Surely Mellor will play as a winger? Nope, Mellor was now the Argyle centre-forward, although his first taste of the action was to get injured and go off for treatment.

The subs didn't have the desired affect and we lost our way.

Bury scored a second, again it was orchestrated down our left side and Rose beat McCormick from a tight angle and it was game over.

Most of the players were off the pace, we allowed Bury to dictate the game and we always seem to struggle against a robust and physical team who use the black arts.

Whether the loss of Reuben Reid deflated the players, who knows but something wasn't right. We should have been a team full of confidence and yet we allowed Bury to bully us.

Talbot had at least two chances, one was a weak shot and the second he twisted and turned and failed to get a shot away, generally he didn't have a good game.
Hartley looked out of sorts, perhaps his hip injury is still affecting him?

Holmes-Dennis was probably our best attacker in the second half but defensively both goals originated from his (and Hartley's) side of the pitch.

Cox and O'Connor didn't get to grips with the Bury midfielders during the first half, Bobby Reid was full of flicks and neat trciks but failed to regularly provide the final killer ball apart from the easy pass to Talbot in the first half.

Alessandra came alive during the second half, good quick feet, although most of his good work was done outside of the box.

Is Brunt a target man? Not on this evidence, he looks better with the ball at his feet rather than his head and yet we kept aiming for his head and the high balls were easily gobbled up by the Bury centre-backs.

Mellor as a striker? Really? Just when we thought Sheridan had turned a corner he comes up with another bizarre decision. I can understand Sheridan wanting height up front so why not use Nelson who has had previous success as a striker. Besides, as a wing-back Mellor never ventures forward for corners, he's the last defender so his height isn't important at that time?
We needed width against Bury and Mellor would have been ideal as a winger late in the game today.

The ref, who was a late replacement for this game, never had full control, he missed a lot of handballs from the Bury players. Once they knew a soft ref was in charge the Bury team took advantage and pushed everything to the limit.

If we don't get to grips with playing against the robust teams like Bury and Stevenage we will not get promoted.
Credit to Bury, they had a game plan and stuck to it, big strong players in areas all over the pitch. They were strong from the first whistle to the last and once they scored the first goal everyone knew a draw was the best Argyle could expect.

After the celebration of four wins including a win against Exeter it was back down to earth today and all the previous concerns raise their head again.

McCormick 6, Nelson 6, McHugh 6, Hartley 5, Talbot 5, Holmes-Dennis 6, Cox 4, O'Connor 5, B Reid 5, Brunt 5, Alessandra 7, Banton 4, Mellor 4, Blizzard 5.

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
Atrocious referee.
Bury were a good side however the referee allowed them alot with their blatant time wasting and generally favoured them.
We missed Reid, agree Brunt is an impact sub only

Undoubtedly Bury possibly shaded the first half. But we started the 2nd well and were unlucky with 2 disallowed goals and hit the bar.

Keep the faith, still plenty of twists and turns yet, as other results have shown today.

C

Cobi Budge.

Sorry to be glum but being 8th at this stage is an underachievement with the squad we have.

Today again proves that Sheridan is a good plan A manager, but he's pretty clueless as soon as we go behind.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
PL2 3DQ":lbndsysx said:
After the Lord Mayor's show.

We fell apart against a very strong and organised Bury team disciplined in the school of black arts, helped by a referee who favoured the away team.

We played the ball too long to Brunt who struggled against the Bury centre-backs and the match ended with Mellor as our centre-forward, I wonder what Brunt and Harvey think about that?

Cox came in for the suspended Lee and Brunt replaced the injured Reid who looks to be out for at least a week.
This meant we had two sitting midfielders in a 3-4-1-2 formation, a slight tinker to what has brought us four consecutive winning games.

Bury started the stronger and should have scored when Nardiello missed a cross with only McCormick to beat.
We struggled to cope with the physical side of the game and Bury were winning all the battles, we were outnumbered in midfield with Etuhu excellent for Bury.

As the half wore on we came into the game more and Bobby Reid set up the unmarked Talbot but his sidefoot shot was more of a pass back and was easily saved.

We kept hitting long balls to Brunt who was easily marked by the big Bury centre-backs, the tactic was just not working.

For the second half we played with more aggression and hassled and closed down the Bury players, Brunt was also stronger and we managed to play more in the Bury half than we did in the first half.
The two wing backs were now playing further forward and getting in behind the Bury defence.
Alessandra had a goal disallowed for offside but it seemed an Argyle goal would not be far away.

Just when we had a bit of momentum and pressure we left the back door open, Bury marched down the left side, Nicky Adams crossed and there was Nardiello to head in. Way too easy.

Sheridan made three changes, taking off McHugh, Cox and Brunt and brought on Blizzard, Banton and Mellor and switched to a 4-4-2 formation. Surely Mellor was a winger? Nope, Mellor was now the Argyle centre-forward, although his first taste of the action was to get injured and go off for treatment.

The subs didn't have the desired affect and we lost our way.

Bury scored a second, again it was orchestrated down our left side and Rose beat McCormick from a tight angle and it was game over.

Most of the players were off the pace, we allowed Bury to dictate the game and we always seem to struggle against a robust and physical team who use the black arts.

Whether the loss of Reuben Reid deflated the players, who knows but something wasn't right. We should have been a team full of confidence and yet we allowed Bury to bully us.

Talbot had at least two chances, one was a weak shot and the second he twisted and turned and failed to get a shot away, generally he didn't have a good game.
Hartley looked out of sorts, perhaps his hip injury is still affecting him?

Holmes-Dennis was probably our best attacker in the second half but defensively both goals originated from his (and Hartley's) side of the pitch.

Cox and O'Connor didn't get to grips with the Bury midfielders during the first half, Bobby Reid was full of flicks and neat trciks but failed to regularly provide the final killer ball apart from the easy pass to Talbot in the first half.

Alessandra came alive during the second half, good quick feet, although most of his good work was done outside of the box.

Is Brunt a target man? Not on this evidence, he looks better with the ball at his feet rather than his head and yet we kept aiming for his head and the high balls were easily gobbled up by the Bury centre-backs.

Mellor as a striker? Really? Just when we thought Sheridan had turned a corner he comes up with another bizarre decision. I can understand Sheridan wanting height up front so why not use Nelson who has had previous success as a striker. Besides, as a wing-back Mellor never ventures forward for corners, he's the last defender so his height isn't important at that time?
We needed width against Bury and Mellor would have been ideal as a winger late in the game today.

The ref, who was a late replacement for this game, never had full control, he missed a lot of handballs from the Bury players. Once they knew a soft ref was in charge the Bury team took advantage and pushed everything to the limit.

If we don't get to grips with playing against the robust teams like Bury and Stevenage we will not get promoted.
Credit to Bury, they had a game plan and stuck to it, big strong players in areas all over the pitch. They were strong from the first whistle to the last and once they scored the first goal everyone knew a draw was the best Argyle could expect.

After the celebration of four wins including a win against Exeter it was back down to earth today and all the previous concerns raise their head again.

McCormick 6, Nelson 6, McHugh 6, Hartley 5, Talbot 5, Holmes-Dennis 6, Cox 4, O'Connor 5, B Reid 5, Brunt 5, Alessandra 7, Banton 4, Mellor 4, Blizzard 5.

For me, the most accurate post match review on here week in week out.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

I don't think Bury were anything special. Luton were much better.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Monster Green":2lhm7i8q said:
Sheridan out brigade soon to return then. 4 games unbeaten, lost today against a very good Bury side. Play-offs are still achievable; lets regroup and get back on track :scarf:

Never went anywhere, This loss was predictable. Sheridan is still not the manager to get us out of this league in my books. He may get a good (Usually short) run or 2 per season, but that's not going to make me change my mind. The cracks are always there.
You can berate me for my opinion all you like, but I'm not here to accept mediocrity for my team. If you're happy with a few good results and staying in league 2, then that's for you. I'm not. Either he needs to change something about his style, get a number 2 who can help him more, or we need a new manager.
Today Bury played better than us and deserved to win. Whilst that is 100% true, is that a statement you like saying? With our budget/squad we shouldn't be getting slaughtered in home games.

Sep 2, 2008
arrythewurzel":1sr73afj said:
Not too disappointed. Bury the far superior team. Stronger all over the pitch. Felt like men against boys. Thoroughly deserved their win. Can accept a defeat when you're well beaten - which we were. On to the next game ..

Spot on! We didn't play particularly bad. We competed but Bury had far too much quality. They will finish in the top three. They had at least 2 players with premiership experience - Etuhu and Soares along with further quality in Tutte, El-Abd and Adams. They are the most solid team I've seen down here this season. If TDH hadn't fallen over and let them in for the first goal who knows how it would have ended up. For me we need to accept we were beaten by a better team and focus on the job ahead.

Nov 4, 2012
Reuben Reid missing was massive. Brunt had a mare. With Reuben fit today I think we would have seen a totally different game.

Jun 11, 2012
Bury were good and deserved to win. 2-0 is about right. Their left side of Hussey and Mayor is excellent.

We, predictably and disappointingly, revert to hoof-ball at the inclusion of a big man up-front. It's never worked for us under John Sheridan, and it never will. We're always a better side with the ball on the floor.

McCormick - 7
Nelson - 6
McHugh - 7
Hartley - 5
Talbot - 5
Holmes-Dennis - 7 (MOTM)
O'Connor - 7
Cox - 5
B.Reid - 5
Alessandra - 6
Brunt - 4

Mar 23, 2008
We were second best all over the park and were sloppy and let them play. We started the second half with far more vigour but the real disappointment is the way heads dropped when they scored. I guess the team like the crowd know that when we go a goal down under Sheridan, that's that. Mellor ahead of Harvey was odd, emphasised when Mellor mis-kicked when presented with a very good chance, surely Harvey would have done better? I thought Brunt did ok today and won alot of headers and tidy layoffs, the service to him and support around him was poor. A game that left you feeling that we will come up short this season.