Brief Synopsis!!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!!

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Johndelve":2km38in3 said:
Far better than we were.
No complaints today.

Agreed. We were shown up for what we are. A very mediocre outfit who have been over achieving to get to the play off positions. I know the subs weren.t great, but why leave it so late ? Almost every manager makes their 1st between 60 and 65 mins to give players a few mins. to get up to speed !

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
JonB":3dhah2vj said:
Thought we were all played off the park first half - excellent passing & possession play from Bury - but the second half was even with the game being won by the team that took its chances. They did; we didn't.
agree with that Jon.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Tugboat":12s911uk said:
PL2 3DQ":12s911uk said:
After the Lord Mayor's show.

We fell apart against a very strong and organised Bury team disciplined in the school of black arts, helped by a referee who favoured the away team.

We played the ball too long to Brunt who struggled against the Bury centre-backs and the match ended with Mellor as our centre-forward, I wonder what Brunt and Harvey think about that?

Cox came in for the suspended Lee and Brunt replaced the injured Reid who looks to be out for at least a week.
This meant we had two sitting midfielders in a 3-4-1-2 formation, a slight tinker to what has brought us four consecutive winning games.

Bury started the stronger and should have scored when Nardiello missed a cross with only McCormick to beat.
We struggled to cope with the physical side of the game and Bury were winning all the battles, we were outnumbered in midfield with Etuhu excellent for Bury.

As the half wore on we came into the game more and Bobby Reid set up the unmarked Talbot but his sidefoot shot was more of a pass back and was easily saved.

We kept hitting long balls to Brunt who was easily marked by the big Bury centre-backs, the tactic was just not working.

For the second half we played with more aggression and hassled and closed down the Bury players, Brunt was also stronger and we managed to play more in the Bury half than we did in the first half.
The two wing backs were now playing further forward and getting in behind the Bury defence.
Alessandra had a goal disallowed for offside but it seemed an Argyle goal would not be far away.

Just when we had a bit of momentum and pressure we left the back door open, Bury marched down the left side, Nicky Adams crossed and there was Nardiello to head in. Way too easy.

Sheridan made three changes, taking off McHugh, Cox and Brunt and brought on Blizzard, Banton and Mellor and switched to a 4-4-2 formation. Surely Mellor was a winger? Nope, Mellor was now the Argyle centre-forward, although his first taste of the action was to get injured and go off for treatment.

The subs didn't have the desired affect and we lost our way.

Bury scored a second, again it was orchestrated down our left side and Rose beat McCormick from a tight angle and it was game over.

Most of the players were off the pace, we allowed Bury to dictate the game and we always seem to struggle against a robust and physical team who use the black arts.

Whether the loss of Reuben Reid deflated the players, who knows but something wasn't right. We should have been a team full of confidence and yet we allowed Bury to bully us.

Talbot had at least two chances, one was a weak shot and the second he twisted and turned and failed to get a shot away, generally he didn't have a good game.
Hartley looked out of sorts, perhaps his hip injury is still affecting him?

Holmes-Dennis was probably our best attacker in the second half but defensively both goals originated from his (and Hartley's) side of the pitch.

Cox and O'Connor didn't get to grips with the Bury midfielders during the first half, Bobby Reid was full of flicks and neat trciks but failed to regularly provide the final killer ball apart from the easy pass to Talbot in the first half.

Alessandra came alive during the second half, good quick feet, although most of his good work was done outside of the box.

Is Brunt a target man? Not on this evidence, he looks better with the ball at his feet rather than his head and yet we kept aiming for his head and the high balls were easily gobbled up by the Bury centre-backs.

Mellor as a striker? Really? Just when we thought Sheridan had turned a corner he comes up with another bizarre decision. I can understand Sheridan wanting height up front so why not use Nelson who has had previous success as a striker. Besides, as a wing-back Mellor never ventures forward for corners, he's the last defender so his height isn't important at that time?
We needed width against Bury and Mellor would have been ideal as a winger late in the game today.

The ref, who was a late replacement for this game, never had full control, he missed a lot of handballs from the Bury players. Once they knew a soft ref was in charge the Bury team took advantage and pushed everything to the limit.

If we don't get to grips with playing against the robust teams like Bury and Stevenage we will not get promoted.
Credit to Bury, they had a game plan and stuck to it, big strong players in areas all over the pitch. They were strong from the first whistle to the last and once they scored the first goal everyone knew a draw was the best Argyle could expect.

After the celebration of four wins including a win against Exeter it was back down to earth today and all the previous concerns raise their head again.

McCormick 6, Nelson 6, McHugh 6, Hartley 5, Talbot 5, Holmes-Dennis 6, Cox 4, O'Connor 5, B Reid 5, Brunt 5, Alessandra 7, Banton 4, Mellor 4, Blizzard 5.

For me, the most accurate post match review on here week in week out.
You beat me to it Tugboat. Always the report I look for, perhaps along with those from Green Sam.

Sep 23, 2005
Bury got what they deserved and were the better side but for a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half when we hit the bar.

For those of you keen to criticize Reuben Reid and Olly Lee the case for their defense was on show throughout. Brunt doesnt come close to giving the threat we get from Reuben and Cox is at best a steady defensive midfielder and at home there is no need for another when O'Connor already performs that role so well. There was no evidence on display here that Cox allows Bobby to take a more attacking role. Another one of those Pasoti myths.
THD and Talbot were very disappointing in attack and my abiding memory is of Talbot with head in hands after choosing the wrong option for the umpteenth time.
So we go another match failing to come back from a goal down. Sheridan's 3 substitutions seemed to confuse us more than it did them.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
One man team. Without Reid we're mediocre at best.
Wondering how bad Exeter's defence must be to make Brunt look good, today he looked like a bog standard park centre forward at best...Bury's forwards had guile, pace and movement...it was agony watching Brunt try to catch up with his own chest downs. The analogy has to be that if you shop in the bargain bin at Lidl you get what you pay for...
Allesandra....he's OK when he's got Reid next to him buying space but ultimately his scuttling 'showy' turns are innefectual when he's got to try and make something happen on his own. His two offsides will probably get people salivating over how good the finishes were but they mask a poor performance when the responsibility actually rested with him.
Talbot should have scored twice but you can see why his goalscoring record was so barren as a centre forward with powderpuff shots like the first half golden chance.
Mellor at centre forward? Sorry but that is deranged. I'm not a Harvey accolyte but come on, that's taking the mickey.
Left back was decent up to about 60 mins then went to pieces...responsible for the first goal.
It would have been nice to see Argyle take the game to Bury but they seemed far too happy to let the away team have possession up to the edge of our box.
Bury showed us what a play off team looks like today and as great as it was to win last week today for me was the key challenge and we were found wanting.
LM 6.
DT 5. Woefully wasted 2 chances
THD 5. Went to pieces, gifted them number 1
Centre halves. 7 each, did nothing especially wrong
O Connor 6. So so
Cox 6. Is he really that much better than Young?
Reid 7. Only midfielder who shows the desire to get forward. Set pieces still an issue.
Brunt. Well I'm not sure what I can award a mark for? Effort? 1.
Allesandra 4. Turn, scurry, turn, scurry, nothing.

Please, please, please be fit again soon Reid.

Sep 2, 2008
jollygreenjohn":h30rkp6o said:
Bury got what they deserved and were the better side but for a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half when we hit the bar.

For those of you keen to criticize Reuben Reid and Olly Lee the case for their defense was on show throughout. Brunt doesnt come close to giving the threat we get from Reuben and Cox is at best a steady defensive midfielder and at home there is no need for another when O'Connor already performs that role so well. There was no evidence on display here that Cox allows Bobby to take a more attacking role. Another one of those Pasoti myths.
THD and Talbot were very disappointing in attack and my abiding memory is of Talbot with head in hands after choosing the wrong option for the umpteenth time.
So we go another match failing to come back from a goal down. Sheridan's 3 substitutions seemed to confuse us more than it did them.

I couldn't for the life of me work out why he didn't put his foot through the ball when Reid put him in instead of side footing it into the keepers arms. Then when he found himself in a similar position in the second half he chooses not to shoot again. Not his best game today

Apr 28, 2013
Brunt and Alessandra shouldn't get any more than a two. Every ball forward came back right away, Brunt isn't good enough over 90 minutes, and I don't know what was wrong with Alessandra, although his two disallowed goals were well taken. The annoying thing is, if he was more aware of the line, he probably still would have scored them

Jan 10, 2015
Plymouth
whats disappointing is again good crowd turn out bad performance (2 extra with me today wont be at next one).
Also if Bury were the better team then we wont go up as play off champions as that will be Bury

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i thoroughly enjoyed this very entertaining match in which the fitter and better side deservedly won.bury are the best side i have seen at home park so far this season (i didn't see the shrewsbury match).i was utterly flabbergasted when he subbed McHugh :shock: .my ratings;
Luke McCormick - 7 did what he had to do very well.no blame for both goals
Drew Talbot - 5 should have scored twice.is he better than purrington?
Curtis Nelson - 7
Carl McHugh - 9 man of the match
Peter Hartley - 7
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis - 7
Anthony O'Connor - 7
Lee Cox - 2 if we got points for playing sideways passes we'd be above chelsea!
Bobby Reid - 2 very poor
Lewis Alessandra - 1 truly abysmal.nothing personal,he is not a lazy player i just don't see much in this gentleman
Ryan Brunt - 6.worked very hard against a terrific centre half

Oct 24, 2010
Nightmare first half, we allowed ourselves to be pushed far too deep and resorted to hitting long balls in the general direction of Brunt who on the rare occasions he got his head to the ball was completely isolated. The second half was much better, we abandoned the long ball tactics, pushed up and got our passing going and were the better side until they scored against the run of play. The most disappointing aspect to a disappointing afternoon was our lack of response to going a goal behind, we looked a beaten team from that point on. Bury are a good team with good players, well organized and hard to break down but when in the second half we retained the ball and showed patience we gave them a lot of problems. If we can learn from that and take it into the coming games we have every chance of making the play offs, there were positives to take from the game.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I've never seen so many people leave Home Park as early as I witnessed today. That was a total abject performance. Apart from a ten minute spell in the second half we were completely outplayed all over the park,in fact Bury could and should have scored more.Our defence today was poor especially down the left hand side where THuD and Hartley were caught out on several occasions.Bury are a good side,that was clear for everyone to see,but if we are to be seen as serious promotion contenders then we have to beat the Bury's of this division,and on today's performance we are not.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
As disappointing as it is to have to admit it, we were well beaten by a far better side on the day. They passed and moved the ball very well and apart from the first 15-20 minutes of the second half, they mostly out-played us and looked far more likely to score.

Everyone will say we missed Reid but I actually think we also missed Lee in midfield.

Why does Sheridan want to play with another defensive midfielder, particularly one who offers absolutely nothing offensively and is incapable of playing a forward pass. O'Connor is excellent in doing what he does and we don't need a player like Cox in the team, we needed someone more offensively minded.

Cox just constantly slows the game down, playing a stream of sideways and backwards passes at little more than walking pace. Bury's pace and movement showed just what a pedestrian plodder he really is. I wonder what Norburn did to put himself so far down the pecking order.

As for the forwards, Alessandra huffed and puffed but spent too much time dropping off deep looking for the ball. I don't blame Brunt for today, he tried his best. But he looked what he is, a Conference League squad player.

Once again, Sheridan's well-documented tactical shortcomings were all too obvious, take off a struggling Cenre Forward and replace him with your reserve right back. We needed something different against their very effective CB's but he just went for more of the same with the same lack of effect or success.

Talbot probably had our best two chances, one in each half with the score still 0-0. But after getting into a great position each time, his finishing was absolutely woeful. If he had taken either of those excellent chances the result might have been different.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I said after the match if Lewi had those chances he would have scored both!

Still a big Talbot fan though, although he didn't have the best of matches.

Jun 11, 2012
Steve Evans":2quq4k2d said:
i was utterly flabbergasted when he subbed McHugh :shock:
Ignoring the rest of the expected drivel: you're shocked that Sheridan took a centre-back off for a central midfielder when we were chasing the game?

I thoroughly look forward to your reply.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think with Cox alongside him O'Connor takes less responsibility, when it's just him as the defensive midfielder he steps up to the plate and plays better.

Hindsight is great but I really thought Sheridan would have kept the same formation that brought us so much recent success and play someone like Blizzard in the Lee role.

So not only did the team have to cope with the loss of Reuben they had to adjust to a different formation in a key game.