Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

olive green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
I just can't get enough! Great day, great atmosphere and of course the result. We are starting to look like a team. Just need a bit more game craft when playing against 10. Keep the ball and let them run after it.

Sep 6, 2006
shortbred":2q22etm7 said:
I personally thought we were very professional and reminded me of the Sturrock days, it wasn't pretty but it got the result and I'd rather watch an ugly win than a pretty loss. We are lacking a big, imposing centre forward. To Blackpools credit they marked Carey out the game but I think with a decent centre forward we would have finished the job a lot quicker. It was ugly, but we played well and it was very professional. Oyston... Don't even get me started, it must be horrible if it was your club and the sooner that cretin sells up the better.

'It was ugly but we played well'. You sure about that?

Sep 6, 2006
olive_green":1juo5vyv said:
I just can't get enough! Great day, great atmosphere and of course the result. We are starting to look like a team. Just need a bit more game craft when playing against 10. Keep the ball and let them run after it.

Well if we cant do it against 10.....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
olive_green":puhie9vl said:

Great to hear. :thumbup:

How did the shirt go down?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Not there so couldnt possibly comment on the
performance. Surprised at the amount of negativity from some there and others not there. To be honest any clean sheet and win away from home always left me buzzing and very content on the homeward journey. For me a job well done and without tempting fate a very winnable home game to come.

C

Cobi Budge.

You can play well & the football be 'ugly' at the same time.

If by ugly you mean being well organised, being physically/mentally strong & being able to manage a game, then sure.

Much of Iceland's play during the euro's is what many people would describe as 'ugly', but they still 'played well'.

You aren't always going to see beautiful free flowing football in League 2, sometimes you just have to grind out wins, that doesn't mean to say you didn't produce a good performance.

Great win.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":3p98plgn said:

Much of Iceland's play during the euro's is what many people would describe as 'ugly', but they still played well.

Keep things tight, get a goal & lock them out, just as good as tippy tappy football if the result's the same.

Great win.

I wouldn't say Iceland played 'well'. Defended well. So we are now the Iceland of League 2 are we? How we have fallen.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":2up9u08n said:

If by ugly you mean being well organised, being physically/mentally strong & being able to manage a game, then sure.

Much of Iceland's play during the euro's is what many people would describe as 'ugly', but they still 'played well'.

You aren't always going to see beautiful free flowing football in League 2, sometimes you just have to grind out wins, that doesn't mean to say you didn't produce a good performance.

Great win.

And them hitting the bar, shot cleared off the line etc doesn't sound like we kept 'things tight' to me.

C

Cobi Budge.

Then what's your definition of 'playing well'? You can't really pin it down to a particular style? Sam Allardyce's definition would probably differ hugely to Arsene Wenger's?

A broad definition, for me, would simply be having a 'winning formula'.

As I say, great win today.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":330b16vn said:
Then what's your definition of 'playing well'? You can't really pin it down to a particular style? Sam Allardyce's definition would probably differ hugely to Arsene Wenger's?

A broad definition, for me, would simply be having a 'winning formula'.

As I say, great win today.

Very simplistic to see winning(apparently luckily from what I hear) as always playing well.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":366xge3e said:
Smash and grab!

Three points, a clean sheet and a new theme song!

We won the game during the first 20 minutes of the second half, before and after that period it was a bit of a struggle.

Adams used a 4-1-2-3 formation with Carey and Smith always pushing forward.

We had the better possession during the first half but didn't create any chances of note apart from long range shots from Carey and Donaldson.
Blackpool should have been three up but McCormick made two excellent saves, they hit the crossbar, Threlkeld made a goal saving tackle and Blackpool missed two chances with only McCormick to beat. We should have been dead and buried but we somehow hung on.

The second half was a lot better, Donaldson and Jervis swapped wings and almost immediately Donaldson had a header saved.
Blackpool completely switched off at a short corner when Smith passed to Carey and his cross was met by Bultivis from six yards out. Simple as you like!

We broke away from a Blackpool corner and Spencer sent Jervis away with he great pass, he was brought down by Payne and because he was the last man he received a red card.

The sending off affected us more than Blackpool, we lost our momentum.

A second goal would have killed off an average Blackpool team.
In the end we were hanging on and only a fantastic goal line headed clearance from Miller prevented an equaliser.

Songo'o's performance mirrored the team, struggling in the first half but showing grit and determination for the second half.

The two centre backs were immense and kept us in the game, Carey shone and was always looking to get on the ball, Smith was impressive again and got forward a lot.
McCormick showed what a good keeper he is and Purrington did ok as a replacement for the injured Sawyer.
Spencer held the ball up better in the second half after really struggling during the first 45.

The win wasn't pretty but pretty effective.

The team received great support throughout the game and the fans constantly sang Twist and Shout which could be our new theme song. It was brilliant and infectious!!

In a week of fan politics the only owner criticised at this game by Argyle fans was Oyston in a show of solidarity with the sparse Blackpool fans.

Man of the Match: Bully.

McCormick 7, Threlkeld 7, Bultivis 8, Bradley 7, Sawyer 6, Songo'o 7, Smith 7, Carey 7, Donaldson 6, Jervis 6, Spencer 6. Subs Purrington 6, Miller 7, Tanner 6.

One of the best away atmospheres. :)

Why do you think it is we are conceding these chances?

The team sounded committed and tried to get blocks in. Yet too many times they had opportunities. The commentators said Bully and Bradley had decent games. So is it simply the rest of the team not picking up players? Are we too open in the system we play?

olive green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
Balham_Green":dygpdabr said:
olive_green":dygpdabr said:

Well if we cant do it against 10.....
Blackpool upped their game after the sending off as many teams do. We could have made the last 10 minutes less nerve wracking but theen there was always twist and shout to calm us down. "I just can't get enough" was better though IMHO :). I suspect you read too much into some comments.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Brief synopsis... 3 pts

olive green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
IJN":34p59qvl said:
olive_green":34p59qvl said:

Great to hear. :thumbup:

How did the shirt go down?
looking forward to the shirt. Oscar played really well RB and then midfield.