Brief Synopsis | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Opposition view taken from the herald

"It's a good support, fair play to you, you have good, loud fans, we're not going to disrespect that," said Liam, who lives in the Forest of Sean.

"This is a big club which should be in the Championship with the size of the club, but obviously things haven't gone your way."

He added: "There was nothing cutting us through with the possession they had. We had Oxford come to us last year and they played us off the park.

"We haven't seen that from Argyle."

Andrea said: "They're on the slide and they've done this most years. They did it last year. They're not going to be there at the end of the season.

"Their slide has come so much earlier than last year. I would imagine by Christmas they'll be out of the play-offs altogether."

Liam said: "Today was very different. They look like a team that's depleted, like a team that knows it's going to happen again this year, the same every year."

With such negativity about Argyle, the pair were asked which of the Argyle players they were most impressed with and who they'd have at Rodney Parade if they had the pick of the bunch.

Liam said: "If I was to take one, the lad who came on, (Louis) Rooney, he did add an extra dimension, ran in behind.

"David Goodwillie, for a man whose played in the Premier League, what's he doing? I don't get what Adams sees in him."

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
There is no excuse for not beating 10 men whether they park the bus or not.

Its a 10% advantage and you have to take the initiative and attack. You should be able to run them ragged, tire them out and find the space.
No team can defend relentless attacks.

All the passing from side to side at the back was way to slow and not direct enough. Looks pretty and gives you good possession stats but that's about it.

We did not seize the initiative handed to us on a plate by the referee.
In fact Newport could and maybe should have scored 2 on the break.
A better quality team would of scored against us and then PASOTI would of been in meltdown losing to 10 man bottom of the league team.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
demportdave":12xwbps3 said:
esmer":12xwbps3 said:
The point is it's not easy when teams come to Home Park with the prime objective of getting a draw. Teams nowadays are well coached, fit, committed and are hard to break down. It is incredibly naive to think the Newports of this world are simply canon fodder who we can easily roll over and run in four or five goals, the complete opposite is true which is why in every game our first priority must be a clean sheet and get what we can after that. Grinding out results is what will get us promoted. Yesterday we played a lot of decent football, kept a clean sheet and are still in the FA cup, it wasn't all bad.
Who said Newport were canon fodder?

We don't need to score 4 or 5 goals, nobody said that. Actually, just 1 would be nice but we have failed to score in 3 successful home games against teams lower than us in the table. And how come WE couldn't "grind out a result" last week with 10 men against a side who had not won at home in 3 months?

Your definition of "decent football " is a constant series of sideways and backwards passes with no penetration or testing of the opposition goalkeeper who once again, was able to enjoy a pretty quite 90 minutes at Home Park. I lost count of the number of times that having finally worked the ball into a crossing position, the cross hit the first defender and was cleared.

We lack pace, creativity and more importantly, a Manager who can positively affect the game when things aren't working for us.

Our 14-game run was great while it lasted but like many, I think we flattered to deceive during that time and the last 4 games have clearly shown that both the team and the Manager have been found out and there is no effective plan B.
Really, Dave? ;) :eh:

Oct 20, 2015
greenwelly":3vz5vjhy said:
skynet":3vz5vjhy said:
We have massive problems and although we are in the top three in the league, we rode our luck at times on that good run but injuries are now killing us. We are falling back into the pack at an alarming rate. The goalkeeper looks poor, the right back can't defend or attack, we have no left back as Threlkeld must play centre midfield. Osborne must be thinking he is never going to get a game, Tanner Carey and Jervis are all playing poorly and as for Goodwillie, I don't think I have seen a player decline so rapidly. Everyone can see we need Songo'o in midfield not defence.

On the plus side, Bradley is good, Purrington will be back soon and Garita is a player. However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.
What happens in January will imo define our season. We have enjoyed a better than expected start, but now it has become apparent that we are just not good enough to get over the promotion line. I dearly want us to gain promotion, but fear for us if we achieve this unless there is significant investment in the team.

This. Does anyone know the monetary 'prize' for gaining promotion to L1? And would it be sufficient to invest in maybe half a dozen L1-ability players?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":m8z1cb3s said:
demportdave":m8z1cb3s said:
esmer":m8z1cb3s said:
The point is it's not easy when teams come to Home Park with the prime objective of getting a draw. Teams nowadays are well coached, fit, committed and are hard to break down. It is incredibly naive to think the Newports of this world are simply canon fodder who we can easily roll over and run in four or five goals, the complete opposite is true which is why in every game our first priority must be a clean sheet and get what we can after that. Grinding out results is what will get us promoted. Yesterday we played a lot of decent football, kept a clean sheet and are still in the FA cup, it wasn't all bad.
Who said Newport were canon fodder?

We don't need to score 4 or 5 goals, nobody said that. Actually, just 1 would be nice but we have failed to score in 3 successful home games against teams lower than us in the table. And how come WE couldn't "grind out a result" last week with 10 men against a side who had not won at home in 3 months?

Your definition of "decent football " is a constant series of sideways and backwards passes with no penetration or testing of the opposition goalkeeper who once again, was able to enjoy a pretty quite 90 minutes at Home Park. I lost count of the number of times that having finally worked the ball into a crossing position, the cross hit the first defender and was cleared.

We lack pace, creativity and more importantly, a Manager who can positively affect the game when things aren't working for us.

Our 14-game run was great while it lasted but like many, I think we flattered to deceive during that time and the last 4 games have clearly shown that both the team and the Manager have been found out and there is no effective plan B.
Really, Dave? ;) :eh:
Ah, predictive text, makes us lazy.

If only those games had been successful.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
PL2 3DQ":2k9gijcd said:
But he does have a Plan B, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
He tried a 4-4-2 formation during the latter stages of the Newport game, against Morecambe he tried three centre backs, two wing backs and two strikers despite only having 10 players.

Against Crewe we were losing 1-0 which should have been 3-0 so at half time while it was 1-1 Adams moved Carey to the left, Slew to the right and Tanner closer to Spencer. We dominated Crewe during the second half and the changes made by Adams won us the game.

Come on Postey - really ? First move is Carey inside to make a two. 5 minutes later it's Jervis with Carey back out left. Then throw on more attack minded players which crowds the edge of the box so that Carey once again ends up closer to left-back. It wasn't quite as desperate as Barnet, but just as ineffective.

Jun 8, 2016
xmastree":3x7wq8w3 said:
I'm surprised Miller gets off so lightly on these threads - I think he contributes significantly to our woes. Poor in defence, he offers absolutely zilch in attack. He just looks immobile and lacking in ability. An upgrade would add greatly to the team. Can he join Goodwillie on the journey north in January please?

I just don't see what he offers at all.

Total rubbish, he's often the scapegoat on ALOT on here and I have to wonder if half of them even go to the games or are just pals of Pieface, cos he gets a helluva lot of unfair attention whilst others can make the same if not worse mistake and nowt said. Or is it the Gaffer connection I'm wondering? Carey has been off it for weeks? Maybe thats why theres no service, for the strikers but nobody has said a thing about it!

Oct 24, 2010
I think Miller is a decent full back but I wonder if he will lose his place to Threlkeld when Purrington or Sawyer are back.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Oscar needs to play in midfield do I'm hoping another RB comes in during the window

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The attendances for the 2nd round FA cup matches were very poor.

Our attendance of 5,071 was the second highest. The only game to have a higher attendance was Bolton v Sheffield United where the attendance was 7,027.

Sep 6, 2006
Tugboat":24gng9r4 said:
Opposition view taken from the herald

"It's a good support, fair play to you, you have good, loud fans, we're not going to disrespect that," said Liam, who lives in the Forest of Sean.

"This is a big club which should be in the Championship with the size of the club, but obviously things haven't gone your way."

He added: "There was nothing cutting us through with the possession they had. We had Oxford come to us last year and they played us off the park.

"We haven't seen that from Argyle."

Andrea said: "They're on the slide and they've done this most years. They did it last year. They're not going to be there at the end of the season.

"Their slide has come so much earlier than last year. I would imagine by Christmas they'll be out of the play-offs altogether."

Liam said: "Today was very different. They look like a team that's depleted, like a team that knows it's going to happen again this year, the same every year."

With such negativity about Argyle, the pair were asked which of the Argyle players they were most impressed with and who they'd have at Rodney Parade if they had the pick of the bunch.

Liam said: "If I was to take one, the lad who came on, (Louis) Rooney, he did add an extra dimension, ran in behind.

"David Goodwillie, for a man whose played in the Premier League, what's he doing? I don't get what Adams sees in him."

Why are you quoting some muppets from The Herald. Just shows the pits the Herald has reached that they feel the need to use those meaningless comments from some clueless clowns.