Brief Synopsis | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Oct 24, 2010
Bristol Rich":1mzscqev said:
esmer":1mzscqev said:
Have to say I quite enjoyed the game. We played some very good football particularly in the first half. Newport "parked the bus" and made it very difficult for us and we certainly lacked a cutting edge, too often the final pass or cross lacked quality but we passed the ball well and were for the most part very pleasing on the eye. I think the club must push the boat out and get a quality loanee replacement for Spencer in the January window, we really struggled in the central striker position and are in desperate need of some quality there. Another positive was the clean sheet, in the past two home games we gave the opposition something to defend, we didn't do that today and never looked like losing.

For goodness sake we were at home against 10 men for 70 mins. Their keeper made 1 save and you're happy we didn't lose.
I'm very happy we didn't lose, aren't you?? Surely you understand the importance of keeping clean sheets. Teams like Grimsby, Barnet and Newport etc are going to get players behind the ball and make things very difficult for us, they are in the main well drilled, organized and good at keeping their shape and they make scoring against them difficult. However, what is well within our remit against those teams is to keep clean sheets and our failure to do so in the last three league games has cost us five points. If we had kept three clean sheets we would still be four points clear at the top of the league and twelve points clear of fourth place. By a long, long way our priority must be to prevent the opposition from scoring and yesterday we achieved that and, although it was a disappointing result, we are still in the cup.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Frank_Butcher":2plvr470 said:
davie nine":2plvr470 said:
I am concerned about the effect that Miller has on our attacking options. He frequently receives the ball, in space, in an advanced position but does not have the confidence or skill to progress. I often think back to last season when Mellor received the ball in similar positions. He had the pace and skill to take the ball down the line or inside, beat his man and get in a cross. Unfortunately, Miller does not have that ability. Admittedly, Mellor made too many mistakes in defence and Miller is more reliable in that part of his game.

Hopefully, Purrington will be available again soon and I would like to see Threlkeld, who is now fit and playing well, move across to the right.

You've made this point a couple of times and I have to agree. Rarely have I seen a full-back so reluctant to overlap, let alone get to the bye-line. I'm in Block 8 and can't remember what he looks like.

Totally agree with both of you. How I miss Kelvin Mellor.

May 1, 2011
esmer":18m17u14 said:
Bristol Rich":18m17u14 said:
esmer":18m17u14 said:
Have to say I quite enjoyed the game. We played some very good football particularly in the first half. Newport "parked the bus" and made it very difficult for us and we certainly lacked a cutting edge, too often the final pass or cross lacked quality but we passed the ball well and were for the most part very pleasing on the eye. I think the club must push the boat out and get a quality loanee replacement for Spencer in the January window, we really struggled in the central striker position and are in desperate need of some quality there. Another positive was the clean sheet, in the past two home games we gave the opposition something to defend, we didn't do that today and never looked like losing.

For goodness sake we were at home against 10 men for 70 mins. Their keeper made 1 save and you're happy we didn't lose.
I'm very happy we didn't lose, aren't you?? Surely you understand the importance of keeping clean sheets. Teams like Grimsby, Barnet and Newport etc are going to get players behind the ball and make things very difficult for us, they are in the main well drilled, organized and good at keeping their shape and they make scoring against them difficult. However, what is well within our remit against those teams is to keep clean sheets and our failure to do so in the last three league games has cost us five points. If we had kept three clean sheets we would still be four points clear at the top of the league and twelve points clear of fourth place. By a long, long way our priority must be to prevent the opposition from scoring and yesterday we achieved that and, although it was a disappointing result, we are still in the cup.

Against 10 men at home for 70 mins our priority was to win not just not to lose. Successful teams do not set out their stall with those main concern being not to lose, that's what teams battling relegation do.

One goal in 4 games and 1 shot on target yesterday. That's the real concern.

May 1, 2011
Emu":pleddg60 said:
Bristol Rich":pleddg60 said:
Steve Wooldridge":pleddg60 said:
Well we are improving from last 3 games, we managed to draw and no goals conceded, what more do some of you want ?

What more do you want? I went to a restaurant, the food was crap, the service was crap but I didn't die of poison. What more do you want?

Er, what you on about?

Its an analogy, if you went to a restaurant and were served up a poor meal, it's not much comfort to say well at least we weren't poisoned!

We were served up a poor Argyle display against 10 men where we mustered one shot on target. In the last 4 games we have scored once and we are asked what more do we want?I would have thought that's obvious.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":161v111o said:
esmer":161v111o said:
Bristol Rich":161v111o said:
esmer":161v111o said:

Against 10 men at home for 70 mins our priority was to win not just not to lose. Successful teams do not set out their stall with those main concern being not to lose, that's what teams battling relegation do.

I'm sure you're right that once they went down to 10 men we should be pushing for the win. It's not that straight forward, though. With 11 men they looked to try to attack us and we coped well with that, exploiting the space they left at the back. Carey had the run on their RB and it looked like there was going to be one winner.

After the red card, they effectively parked the bus. We had a few shooting chances from the edge of the box, but those were blocked by the 9 white shirts in the box.

I feel that if they stayed at 11 men, we would have won it on the day.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I'm afraid that's b0ll0cks because Newport left 2 up front from corners even after the red card unlike us and looked pretty handy going forward with 10.

Morecambe seemed to find it easy to play against 10 last week having countless chances after Slew went off.

Jan 7, 2013
GreenThing":yygvstdb said:
Bristol Rich":yygvstdb said:
esmer":yygvstdb said:
Bristol Rich":yygvstdb said:
esmer":yygvstdb said:

I'm sure you're right that once they went down to 10 men we should be pushing for the win. It's not that straight forward, though. With 11 men they looked to try to attack us and we coped well with that, exploiting the space they left at the back. Carey had the run on their RB and it looked like there was going to be one winner.

After the red card, they effectively parked the bus. We had a few shooting chances from the edge of the box, but those were blocked by the 9 white shirts in the box.

Exactly how I saw it, we were in complete control up until the sending off playing some lovely football.. how often does a sending off change the complex of the game Newport parked the bus and played for the nil nil and got their just rewards and will be looking to complete the giant killing at Rodney Parade! I must admit yesterday's second half was such a bore but I expected nothing less against a ten man Westley team.
At least we didn't lose at home to Barrow! Things could have been worse.
I am looking foward to tomorrow's draw!

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
How many shots did we have in that period of 'lovely football' at 11 v 11?
I persnally didnt feel that it was the typical 'Westley team' performance that many seem to want to blame the result on - I thought they looked to get behind us a number of times in the second half and I didnt see any kind of time wasting - only 4 minutes were added. As I already mentioned they left 2 up when Argyle had corners - wheras we pulled all 11 into our box. when we were defending a corner - I thought they were actually a shade more positive than us despite having 10 men.

Still it would have all be academic if Argyle had used the first quarter of the game to actually register a couple of shots and gone a goal or 2 up early on, but when was the last time that happened?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
up_the_line":2btdo47j said:
GreenThing":2btdo47j said:
Bristol Rich":2btdo47j said:
esmer":2btdo47j said:
Bristol Rich":2btdo47j said:
esmer":2btdo47j said:

I'm afraid that's b0ll0cks because Newport left 2 up front from corners even after the red card unlike us and looked pretty handy going forward with 10.

Morecambe seemed to find it easy to play against 10 last week having countless chances after Slew went off.

'Picking a number out of the air, but 6 out of 10 teams who go down to 10 med do alright, the hold on for a draw or Nick a goal at the end'. That was the co-commentator on radio Devon yesterday. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks that 10 men shutting up shop can disadvantage the team with 11.

Jan 7, 2013
12 shots with 4 on target over the whole game.. not great but as I said was expected really! Keeping the faith 7 points clear in the autos as it stands and in the hat for the 3rd round of the cup glass half full for me still.
Ps nice to have you back Patrick you were missed when we were riding high at the top! :)

Oct 24, 2010
The point is it's not easy when teams come to Home Park with the prime objective of getting a draw. Teams nowadays are well coached, fit, committed and are hard to break down. It is incredibly naive to think the Newports of this world are simply canon fodder who we can easily roll over and run in four or five goals, the complete opposite is true which is why in every game our first priority must be a clean sheet and get what we can after that. Grinding out results is what will get us promoted. Yesterday we played a lot of decent football, kept a clean sheet and are still in the FA cup, it wasn't all bad.

Jul 12, 2016
We lose to Morecambe because we are down to 10 men.We can only draw with Newport because they are down to 10 men.
Strange how the opposition cope but we can't. Why didn't we "park the bus"

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
When we went down to 10 men we were still going for the win, while Newport seemed to be content to get a replay. I was probably a mistake not to park the bus at Morcame, but if we did and came away with a point, some on here would be spitting feathers.

Jul 6, 2005
esmer":3g36u515 said:
The point is it's not easy when teams come to Home Park with the prime objective of getting a draw. Teams nowadays are well coached, fit, committed and are hard to break down. It is incredibly naive to think the Newports of this world are simply canon fodder who we can easily roll over and run in four or five goals, the complete opposite is true which is why in every game our first priority must be a clean sheet and get what we can after that. Grinding out results is what will get us promoted. Yesterday we played a lot of decent football, kept a clean sheet and are still in the FA cup, it wasn't all bad.
Who said Newport were canon fodder?

We don't need to score 4 or 5 goals, nobody said that. Actually, just 1 would be nice but we have failed to score in 3 successful home games against teams lower than us in the table. And how come WE couldn't "grind out a result" last week with 10 men against a side who had not won at home in 3 months?

Your definition of "decent football " is a constant series of sideways and backwards passes with no penetration or testing of the opposition goalkeeper who once again, was able to enjoy a pretty quite 90 minutes at Home Park. I lost count of the number of times that having finally worked the ball into a crossing position, the cross hit the first defender and was cleared.

We lack pace, creativity and more importantly, a Manager who can positively affect the game when things aren't working for us.

Our 14-game run was great while it lasted but like many, I think we flattered to deceive during that time and the last 4 games have clearly shown that both the team and the Manager have been found out and there is no effective plan B.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
demportdave":1qcz4bbw said:
esmer":1qcz4bbw said:
Who said Newport were canon fodder?

We don't need to score 4 or 5 goals, nobody said that. Actually, just 1 would be nice but we have failed to score in 3 successful home games against teams lower than us in the table. And how come WE couldn't "grind out a result" last week with 10 men against a side who had not won at home in 3 months?

Your definition of "decent football " is a constant series of sideways and backwards passes with no penetration or testing of the opposition goalkeeper who once again, was able to enjoy a pretty quite 90 minutes at Home Park. I lost count of the number of times that having finally worked the ball into a crossing position, the cross hit the first defender and was cleared.

We lack pace, creativity and more importantly, a Manager who can positively affect the game when things aren't working for us.

Our 14-game run was great while it lasted but like many, I think we flattered to deceive during that time and the last 4 games have clearly shown that both the team and the Manager have been found out and there is no effective plan B.

But he does have a Plan B, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
He tried a 4-4-2 formation during the latter stages of the Newport game, against Morecambe he tried three centre backs, two wing backs and two strikers despite only having 10 players.

Against Crewe we were losing 1-0 which should have been 3-0 so at half time while it was 1-1 Adams moved Carey to the left, Slew to the right and Tanner closer to Spencer. We dominated Crewe during the second half and the changes made by Adams won us the game.