Brief Synopsis | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

up_the_line":3r2exe1l said:
A highly astute analysis FGB. My faith is somewhat restored that people can come away from a game and provide an account of the game (and an examination of the tactics) that mirrors mine....rather than just 'shut up and get behind Adams'
Thanks UTL for your analysis of my analysis. :greensmile:
I am behind adams big time though. Methinks long termism is crucial im afraid
so i will be backing him a lot longer than you as well if required i reckon.
Sorry.
PS Hope you sorted your shitehawk problem ok?

May 16, 2016
up_the_line":pm5hgx6b said:
A highly astute analysis FGB. My faith is somewhat restored that people can come away from a game and provide an account of the game (and an examination of the tactics) that mirrors mine....rather than just 'shut up and get behind Adams'

I think a lot of people share opinions of games and DAs' consistent tactics that probably mirror your opinion. They just dont want his head on a pole this side of Christmas, or go on and on and on about it. Heaven forbid we get promoted :)

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Fat_green_belly":574l5v3k said:
up_the_line":574l5v3k said:
Thanks UTL for your analysis of my analysis. :greensmile:
I am behind adams big time though. Methinks long termism is crucial im afraid
so i will be backing him a lot longer than you as well if required i reckon.
Sorry.
PS Hope you sorted your shitehawk problem ok?

Its the low season for shitehawks now but they'll be back in the summer to inflict their terror from above on the residents

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
up_the_line":lh6x269m said:
PL2 3DQ":lh6x269m said:
skynet":lh6x269m said:
We have massive problems and although we are in the top three in the league, we rode our luck at times on that good run but injuries are now killing us. We are falling back into the pack at an alarming rate. The goalkeeper looks poor, the right back can't defend or attack, we have no left back as Threlkeld must play centre midfield. Osborne must be thinking he is never going to get a game, Tanner Carey and Jervis are all playing poorly and as for Goodwillie, I don't think I have seen a player decline so rapidly. Everyone can see we need Songo'o in midfield not defence.

On the plus side, Bradley is good, Purrington will be back soon and Garita is a player. However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.

Because emergency loan transfers were stopped Adams had to sign squad fillers and because of injuries those squad fillers are now having to play, some are good and some are average. Slew, Smith and Donaldson have done fine, Miller has been up and down and Ijaha has been injured so the only let down has been Goodwillie but he could be distracted by off the field issues.

We are in a slump but I trust Adams to get us out of it and sign the players we need in January.

Sorry but weren't people banging on about how this year was going to be different because of our strength in depth.
All of a sudden that strength in depth is apparently just 'squad filler' who aren't really up to it?

Bargain bucket squad depth sadly. The idea that this squad had greater strength in depth was false. Greater numbers perhaps, but we signed a player released from Whitehawk...

We went quantity over quality. The best XI did a great job, but the squad is as incapable of sustaining it as last season's - possibly worse? I don't understand why, despite freeing ourselves of historic debts and having debts repayable on kinder terms, that there hasn't been increased investment in the playing team? It's odd.

The Green Army deserve better. Hallett as a life long fan should understand that League Two should not be Argyle's natural position and that rotting in the fourth tier is a bit of a disgrace. A disgrace excused so far by administration's awful legacy, but those consequences have been cleared thanks to some astute club management. What's the excuse now?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Guiri Green":3b681iic said:
up_the_line":3b681iic said:

I think a lot of people share opinions of games and DAs' consistent tactics that probably mirror your opinion. They just dont want his head on a pole this side of Christmas, or go on and on and on about it. Heaven forbid we get promoted :)

I don't want his head on a pole. I just want him to start delving into the vast bibliography of notes he's supposed to have accumulated 'meticulously' in his 'year of football management research'. Surely there's whole chapters on weird and wonderful formations in Derek's Football Bible.
If not, perhaps another spell of surfing the couches of football gaffers around Europe would do him the world of good.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
SwimWithTheTide":1iy3izyq said:
up_the_line":1iy3izyq said:
PL2 3DQ":1iy3izyq said:
skynet":1iy3izyq said:
We have massive problems and although we are in the top three in the league, we rode our luck at times on that good run but injuries are now killing us. We are falling back into the pack at an alarming rate. The goalkeeper looks poor, the right back can't defend or attack, we have no left back as Threlkeld must play centre midfield. Osborne must be thinking he is never going to get a game, Tanner Carey and Jervis are all playing poorly and as for Goodwillie, I don't think I have seen a player decline so rapidly. Everyone can see we need Songo'o in midfield not defence.

On the plus side, Bradley is good, Purrington will be back soon and Garita is a player. However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.

Because emergency loan transfers were stopped Adams had to sign squad fillers and because of injuries those squad fillers are now having to play, some are good and some are average. Slew, Smith and Donaldson have done fine, Miller has been up and down and Ijaha has been injured so the only let down has been Goodwillie but he could be distracted by off the field issues.

We are in a slump but I trust Adams to get us out of it and sign the players we need in January.

Sorry but weren't people banging on about how this year was going to be different because of our strength in depth.
All of a sudden that strength in depth is apparently just 'squad filler' who aren't really up to it?

Bargain bucket squad depth sadly. The idea that this squad had greater strength in depth was false. Greater numbers perhaps, but we signed a player released from Whitehawk...

We went quantity over quality. The best XI did a great job, but the squad is as incapable of sustaining it as last season's - possibly worse? I don't understand why, despite freeing ourselves of historic debts and having debts repayable on kinder terms, that there hasn't been increased investment in the playing team? It's odd.

The Green Army deserve better. Hallett as a life long fan should understand that League Two should not be Argyle's natural position and that rotting in the fourth tier is a bit of a disgrace. A disgrace excused so far by administration's awful legacy, but those consequences have been cleared thanks to some astute club management. What's the excuse now?

Eh? What do you mean the 4th tier is 'not our natural position'. We're punching above our weight

May 16, 2016
up_the_line":2px3i33z said:
SwimWithTheTide":2px3i33z said:
up_the_line":2px3i33z said:
PL2 3DQ":2px3i33z said:
skynet":2px3i33z said:

Eh? What do you mean the 4th tier is 'not our natural position'. We're punching above our weight

Darn it, I only needed "cowardly" or "one up front" for a full house :(

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Far too many unfair comments about Goodwillie IMO, some seem to have found their new scapegoat. I really don't know how people can come to such iron clad judgements about a player who has, more often than not, been up top by himself receiving very poor service. I'm a big fan of Louis Rooney & I'd probably like to see him get more game time, but today, when Goodwillie misplaced a pass or got tackled, fans were giving him stick, when Rooney did exactly the same, he was applauded. Also, I really don't think cheering the substitution of a player who is perhaps already low on confidence is helping. Keep your head up DG, some of us fans do want you to succeed at Home Park!

Mar 30, 2006
Horsedowns, Cornwall
Cobi Budge":3e32nl9x said:
Far too many unfair comments about Goodwillie IMO, some seem to have found their new scapegoat. I really don't know how people can come to such iron clad judgements about a player who has, more often than not, been up top by himself receiving very poor service. I'm a big fan of Louis Rooney & I'd probably like to see him get more game time, but today, when Goodwillie misplaced a pass or got tackled, fans were giving him stick, when Rooney did exactly the same, he was applauded. Also, I really don't think cheering the substitution of a player who is perhaps already low on confidence is helping. Keep your head up DG, some of us fans do want you to succeed at Home Park!

Indeed. The cheering of his substitution was distasteful and inappropriate to say the least. Could do without those types at Home Park during a dodgy patch.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Aerok":35z8tlno said:
Cobi Budge":35z8tlno said:

Indeed. The cheering of his substitution was distasteful and inappropriate to say the least. Could do without those types at Home Park during a dodgy patch.

Agree with both of those posts. He's a grown man but I felt very sorry for him today. It must be a horrible feeling to be receiving the ball low on confidence, out of form and position, and half the crowd giving you stick. He lost the ball two or three times when he was clearly over thinking things.

Easy to support players when they're doing well, why can't we do the same when someone clearly needs it? Or is it better to have a scapegoat?

Jul 6, 2009
Goodwillie was absolute rubbish today and has been all season. The fans can say what they want, we pay good money to watch this team. He is getting paid a lot of money and is not deserving of it. He has not scored a goal for us and never really looks like he will score. A terrible signing.

Jul 6, 2009
Sorry Coby but the fans have given him every chance after being excited when he signed. When are you going to realise the guy is utter poo and taking the money and laughing?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He never looks like scoring because he's 5ft 7 and he always seems to be up top by himself trying to battle against two CB's of over 6ft. The game he did look like scoring in (Cheltenham home) he was partnered with and running off Garita.

Jul 6, 2011
PL15 Green":2kb0760s said:
Ottawa Green":2kb0760s said:
Maybe Argyle should invest in a goal poacher, before investing and re-building the grandstand.
No good investing in a poacher we are not even getting close to creating chances in the area!!! :furious:

Spot on comment
We seem to be blaming our strikers, but I'm frankly looking more at the inadequacies of our midfield. Apart from Carey (when he's on form) I see very little creativity and Tanner is playing with an injury at the moment (shades of reuben Reid there).
Some on here are having a pop at Rooney, I don't think it's fair because Carey was playing mostly deep while Rooney was on the pitch and who else in midfield creates assists? I thought he did okay with what he had and Alex fletcher brought some enthusiasm to the table.if Carey had been a little more consistent In the 2nd half these youngsters lads are capable of getting goals at league standard.
It's the midfield themselves who need to up their game.