Brief Synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

It's gone to pot since Spencer's injury - this is no coincidence. Hugely important to have a centre forward who can hold up the ball, occupy defenders etc. We just don't have that at the minute and I believe it's causing us to pick faults with other areas of the team. If Spencer was still in the team I think results would have been very different.

Sep 8, 2013
skynet":2gyibiug said:
We have massive problems and although we are in the top three in the league, we rode our luck at times on that good run but injuries are now killing us. We are falling back into the pack at an alarming rate. The goalkeeper looks poor, the right back can't defend or attack, we have no left back as Threlkeld must play centre midfield. Osborne must be thinking he is never going to get a game, Tanner Carey and Jervis are all playing poorly and as for Goodwillie, I don't think I have seen a player decline so rapidly. Everyone can see we need Songo'o in midfield not defence.

On the plus side, Bradley is good, Purrington will be back soon and Garita is a player. However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.
What happens in January will imo define our season. We have enjoyed a better than expected start, but now it has become apparent that we are just not good enough to get over the promotion line. I dearly want us to gain promotion, but fear for us if we achieve this unless there is significant investment in the team.

Oct 24, 2010
Have to say I quite enjoyed the game. We played some very good football particularly in the first half. Newport "parked the bus" and made it very difficult for us and we certainly lacked a cutting edge, too often the final pass or cross lacked quality but we passed the ball well and were for the most part very pleasing on the eye. I think the club must push the boat out and get a quality loanee replacement for Spencer in the January window, we really struggled in the central striker position and are in desperate need of some quality there. Another positive was the clean sheet, in the past two home games we gave the opposition something to defend, we didn't do that today and never looked like losing.

May 1, 2011
esmer":bpdgb8iz said:
Have to say I quite enjoyed the game. We played some very good football particularly in the first half. Newport "parked the bus" and made it very difficult for us and we certainly lacked a cutting edge, too often the final pass or cross lacked quality but we passed the ball well and were for the most part very pleasing on the eye. I think the club must push the boat out and get a quality loanee replacement for Spencer in the January window, we really struggled in the central striker position and are in desperate need of some quality there. Another positive was the clean sheet, in the past two home games we gave the opposition something to defend, we didn't do that today and never looked like losing.

For goodness sake we were at home against 10 men for 70 mins. Their keeper made 1 save and you're happy we didn't lose.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
skynet":s506oqjm said:
.However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.

The Board trusted him enough to give him a 4 year contract.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Today was another anti-climax. Others have covered the weaknesses. I just find it all so ironic that DA put much emphasis in his 'meet the supporters' do's, that the club this season was well blessed with reserves/players that could come in to cover suspensions and injuries as opposed to last season. What was meant to be seamless in these difficulties has turned out to be anything but. There must be up front some new faces to recreate scoring momentum in the January window.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
skynet":177xhk17 said:
We have massive problems and although we are in the top three in the league, we rode our luck at times on that good run but injuries are now killing us. We are falling back into the pack at an alarming rate. The goalkeeper looks poor, the right back can't defend or attack, we have no left back as Threlkeld must play centre midfield. Osborne must be thinking he is never going to get a game, Tanner Carey and Jervis are all playing poorly and as for Goodwillie, I don't think I have seen a player decline so rapidly. Everyone can see we need Songo'o in midfield not defence.

On the plus side, Bradley is good, Purrington will be back soon and Garita is a player. However for those of you who think the January transfer window will save us, would you trust your money with a manager who brought in Miller, Donaldson, Goodwillie, Slew, Smith and Ijaha? Surely 3 good players would have been better than six poor ones.

Harsh on Slew and Smith who have both shown glimpses of being very good, both are also young with time to develop. Donaldson is a squad player and is passable as such, if we're talking signings in January I hope DAs targets will be more than just squad players of his calibre. I have no idea what has happened to Ijaha, he looked very good in a poor team against Luton and hasn't really featured since, he was a punt from the non-league and can be excused if he hasn't worked out.

Miller and Goodwillie, fair one both have been a huge let down. Some say Goodwillie may have something in his locker, I beg to differ but even if I'm wrong it can't be denied that he has been a flop to date.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
skynet":1bwzul8w said:

Because emergency loan transfers were stopped Adams had to sign squad fillers and because of injuries those squad fillers are now having to play, some are good and some are average. Slew, Smith and Donaldson have done fine, Miller has been up and down and Ijaha has been injured so the only let down has been Goodwillie but he could be distracted by off the field issues.

We are in a slump but I trust Adams to get us out of it and sign the players we need in January.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
PL2 3DQ":2n6rg5na said:
skynet":2n6rg5na said:

Because emergency loan transfers were stopped Adams had to sign squad fillers and because of injuries those squad fillers are now having to play, some are good and some are average. Slew, Smith and Donaldson have done fine, Miller has been up and down and Ijaha has been injured so the only let down has been Goodwillie but he could be distracted by off the field issues.

We are in a slump but I trust Adams to get us out of it and sign the players we need in January.

Sorry but weren't people banging on about how this year was going to be different because of our strength in depth.
All of a sudden that strength in depth is apparently just 'squad filler' who aren't really up to it?

The positives first as there sure is some negatives to come. At least we didnt lose, although even that
isnt great for us at the moment as the last thing we needed with all these injuries is another game to play.
I hope DA gives more youngsters experience in the replay which was the only other positive to come out of todays
game for me. That being the cameos from rooney and fletcher. You could see an understanding between them that they
must have built up over time by playing up top together at youth and swpl level. They did cause a few more problems
to NCFC in their 15 minutes together at the end as we eventually switched to a more attacking 442.
I felt sorry for goodwillie, as he went off just as we went to the 2 up top which might have suited him better.
He did have his usual poor game as a lone stiker, but didnt deserve to be cheered off, as at least he did put effort
in. The team was rightly booed at the end though as it was yet more frustration at the continuation of poor home form
that the majority of the fanbase are having to endure at the moment.
Some of the passing, crossing and general play in that second half was really dire. Why does delboy continue with
4231 at home when he hasnt a forward available to play the lone ranger role? Why not use todays less important game
to at least try something different that might suit goodwillie better. He started 4141 last weekend so why not give that a
try as it sounded like it worked well till the sending off. Obviously no slew today but 2 centre mids pushed
further forward might have been able to use goodwillies strengths better. Short passes into space would surely suit him
better to run on to than longer passes into his feet. He doesnt have the size or strength to play the role that way.
Maybe go with 3 CBS as we do have a spare one wasted on the bench? It gives us 2 up top which more suits our available
strikers and a no10 role for carey or tanner.
The other issue which keeps cropping up with the 4231 at home is the crosses coming in for our lone ranger who is
always outnumbered and picked up by multiple defenders. These crosses are being put in like today by our wide forwards
when i am sure if this formation is working properly it should be overlapping full backs in the main doing that job and
providing the width. Oscar threkald(MOM) was very good at that today although he really needs to play the right back
position so he can cross with his better foot. He should certainly replace gary miller there when young ben returns
as although GM is a reliable defender he offers very little going forward on what i have seen so far.
The other big negative for me is graham careys form, and i hate to say it, his attitude at times. That first half
invisible KO he feigned clutching his face was a childish immature act. Maybe it was due to his frustration of losing
his personal battle with his marker but i just dont like to see that kind of thing from any argyle player whatever his
talent.
So where do we go from here? Hopefully garita and purrington are available for donny as these players might help
address some of the issues above. The time to try something different has gone now so i expect the 4231 again as
DA yet again tries to prove to me and others that he is right on this and we really dont havnt a scooby.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
A highly astute analysis FGB. My faith is somewhat restored that people can come away from a game and provide an account of the game (and an examination of the tactics) that mirrors mine....rather than just 'shut up and get behind Adams'

Jul 6, 2009
Slew Smith and Donaldson have done fine? Not for me they haven't. We will not go up with those three players as first choice.

Jul 6, 2009
Carey feigned injury because he was embarrassed yet again he had not beat his man or produced an end product. He is so inconsistent the guy has talent but league two is his level.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
up_the_line":iu4u84rr said:
PL2 3DQ":iu4u84rr said:
skynet":iu4u84rr said:

Sorry but weren't people banging on about how this year was going to be different because of our strength in depth.
All of a sudden that strength in depth is apparently just 'squad filler' who aren't really up to it?

A genuine question - what do you get out of following Argyle? You don't seem to enjoy the wins but revel in the defeats and poor performances?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
PL2 3DQ":3m5sqp3r said:
up_the_line":3m5sqp3r said:
PL2 3DQ":3m5sqp3r said:
skynet":3m5sqp3r said:

A genuine question - what do you get out of following Argyle? You don't seem to enjoy the wins but revel in the defeats and poor performances?

I go because I love Argyle. Bit of a ridiculous question to be honest.
Unless you're saying that to love Argyle one must also enjoy the football they are playing at all times and give unequivocall, unquestioning support to the manager at any given time?